Illegal road blocks

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 8:22am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeh typical December weather, humid and wet Confused
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 10:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

* unemployment is at a low level right now (3.4% lowest since at least 2006 by the looks of things)

I may add that of that 9% are fully employable..
 More importasnt is take this stat with the above

NZ public debt as a percentage of GDP has taken a hit with the COVID business/wage subsidies etc......
....Of course the COVID wage subsidies have kept many off the dole but it remains to be seen whether the businesses they are employed by will be able to bounce back....

Now lets take any other crisis financial or otherwise in living memory and beyond... those who recieve the business/wage subsidies would be un the unemployed numbers.. combined.
 Which when we take the political fogging of unemployment numbers, eg per muldoon, richardson budget etc the real numbers look bad.. going in to a higher inflation period with a high unemployment numbers is not good, and never has been.
 Basic economics supply demand, effects inflation ,investments and savings, GDP etc
 Also note property valuations are no longer part of in the inflationary numbers (a political call way back).

Interesting times to say the least.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 10:34am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I see the reserve bank has increased interest rates, I guess in a bid to slow down internal borrowing?? The inflation rate must be rising as it appears that everything from food to fuel has increased in price drastically which in turn no doubt adds to inflation. One minute they are panicking as inflation was at an all time low, now its seems inflations is too high? Its going to be difficult to balance this out. We sell some product which is sourced from Brazil, the cost prices have risen 20 % in the last 6-12 months, and manufacturing and shipping times are now up to 6 months plus. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 11:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One minute they are panicking as inflation was at an all time low, now its seems inflations is too high?

The irony is the cycles have been going on for centuries.. major financial crashes sort of every 70 odd yrs,  (living memory expires)minor in between 'crisis' every 7 to 9 yrs.
And if we take the ave floating interest rate for the 40 decades pre to this cycle of low interest rate its about 8/9%
 Pre to that was 50s and 60s... 3% mortgage loans.
 After the 1st oil crisis (supply/ demand and the BS muldoon "reds under the beds" and dumped the cash from the super straight onto the open economy as  bribe for votes.) the RB rates hit up to just under 20% (18/19 from memory) That put mortgage rates up in the 28 to 32% in some cases.

So its very much the same old , revolving over and over , with all the banks , experts doing this and that  to 'fix things..
I think the basic issue is the Fed and most countries.. including NZ printing money at record levels to hold interest rates down... But as what happens in previous decades, dead generations ago , eventually a bit of a crisis comes along.. hit supply and bang away again..

Humans think they are so clever, never learn from history and each generation repeats the mistakes of the past one. That is because every generation think they are smarter with their new technology.. be it a stream engine, or an Apollo rocket.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 11:28am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So true LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 9:33pm
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As many of you know, we run a small motel in Mangonui.
How do I answer this?
Quote:

"Hi there,

I'd booked to stay with you Sat 18 December. The information online is a little patchy so was just wanting to check with you what the local situation is with iwi road closures etc - to both make sure that I can actually get to you, and that the road to Cape Reinga is still open etc.

Does it sound like there will be any complete road closures in the area, or more a case of checkpoints ensuring travellers are vaccinated?

Thank you,"

Just asking....
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigBossMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 9:55pm
BigBossMan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm reasonably sure it's all about vaccinations.

Hone Harawira seems to be the prime mover and that's all he's mentioned.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 6:47am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hone has said it is OK for double vaxxed to travel north.
As long as he doesn't change his mind they should be free to travel.
What has this world come to?
What puzzles me about Hone is vaxxed can transmit Delta also.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 7:58am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’m not heading north and I love north land.  There is no way I’m letting some rando stop me or massively increase my journey time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:09am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

Apparently if you are a family on the average wage, have children, you qualify for a tax rebate, which is fair enough as we know what it cost these days to live, let alone try to bring up dependents on 50k or less, there a re quite a few other benefits paid to people so in actual fact many that think they are contributing are actually getting more back than are paying in tax. I would like to find the article that produced the database it was interesting. It actually makes sense when you think about it. How many New Zealanders have full time employment, about 3 million before the lock downs according to govt stats, of these the average salary is 56k. So even if every one on the average wage paid full tax with no rebates, the total tax take would have support the other 1-2 million ( giving that we have an aging  population ) and un employment could most likely increase due to loss of primary industries and also Covid shut downs, we are depending more and more on the profitability of the few large producers we have like Fonterra not only for overseas funds but also employment.  I don't have all the facts in front of me but I found it a bit sobering given that there is also pressure on the farming sector to reduce intensified farming ( to try to help reverse environment damage etc) and currently I understand that the Dairy industry has bounced back to the top after the demise of the tourism sector. The point is the current Govt has embarked on the spending spree and apart from the rumor of a 2% tax increase coming up no solid plan to make us more competitive and productive to allow an increase in tax derived revenue. I'm sure the politicians will have plenty to debate before the next election and hopefully either the current govt or their main opposition will have some plausible plans, not just the usual promises to get elected.

I found this article which says that only 50% of households make a net tax contribution from a couple of years ago. It’s likely worse now. I read another article which essentially said until you earn 70k you aren’t a net tax payer on average (it obviously depends a bit on your family circumstances as to which payments you are eligible for). The key thing is a very small number of people already pay for almost everything we have so tax the rich is not really a practical catch cry.  We are already being taxed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 4:00pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So it has now come out that manning these roadblocks will take 300 police.  I looked up the average salary for the police, which is $70k, so that's $1.75 million a month in wages alone.  No doubt there will be other operational costs, like transport and accommodation for the police they have to bring in from around the country.  So that will be over $2 million a month for this pointless exercise.  Not just that, but this will mean 300 less police to do actual police work -you know, like catching criminals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 5:26pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I wonder what the army is doing these days?
..& how long before the roadblockers start demanding pay parity with the policeLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 5:30pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

..& how long before the roadblockers start demanding pay parity with the policeLOL
Been a few Army woman at Mercer,more efficient than the police,negative proof,driver licence,and do you have your essential workers letter.
Yes Yes Yes and I will have 2 sugars milk coffee,no sense of humour at 2.00am

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 5:33pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whats the bet the wheels fall off the whole bloody thing. There is just so much public hate at what the government is doing at the  moment. This is bad bad bad for Cindys ratings and she knows it.
Even her welfare dependant, total waste of oxygen voter bass still like to travel....and once they get upset.... then geezz... look out people.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 6:08pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

The army has been guarding MIQ for escapees, and vandals.
They have just had 300 resignations - soldiers sick of guarding MIQ inmates.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 6:11pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Whats the bet the wheels fall off the whole bloody thing. There is just so much public hate at what the government is doing at the  moment. This is bad bad bad for Cindys ratings and she knows it.
Even her welfare dependant, total waste of oxygen voter bass still like to travel....and once they get upset.... then geezz... look out people.

We have yet to have joe public stopped by Hone asking for their credentials.
I can only imagine my reaction. And I don't consider myself a hot head.
This is going to get bad. What could go wrong?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 7:38pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The minister was asked today about any plans for road blocks out east. Big long pause um um um stutter stutter, them dodge the question. My money is on Yes.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:06pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Drove north today Wednesday. SH1. Early. No problems. Very short delay. Check the pass. All good.

Policeman made a joke and said my wife’s pass was invalid. I Spent a few minutes telling him to send her back to Auckland but he wouldn’t. Oh well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Drove north today Wednesday. SH1. Early. No problems. Very short delay. Check the pass. All good.

Policeman made a joke and said my wife’s pass was invalid. I Spent a few minutes telling him to send her back to Auckland but he wouldn’t. Oh well.

My sympathies BrmBrm Big smile. Can you send that cops contact details to me???
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 7:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont under estimate our policemen.. they are onto it guys.
There is no way he was going down a route that you where not prepared to take.. leave her at home Wink....or maybe he was married and just knew not to go there

Page  <1 2345>