Jigging out the West

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jigging out the West
    Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 2:02pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We all know that most of the large King Fish seem to come from the east coast up to the top of NZ but have there been any records of them caught from the West coast of the north Island ? I'm picking since most of the pins that attract bait fish seem to be on the east coast this is one of the reasons we don't hear much about jigging out west. We have caught plenty around Gannet and up to the 22 but nothing of any size.

I've been looking at renewing some of my lighter OH jigging rods but there seems to be a bit of shortage at present?? May be shipping issues and the lock downs have hampered the importers..

Used to be a lot of JMs etc, cant buy Synit any longer and I sold one just before they stopped making them, which was a mistake so no more High end customs now?
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:47pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I regularly fished 22 and 23. When it’s on and they are of size it incredible fishing. I took a Pom and a Aussie who were bottom bouncers and showed them how to do the duck dance with jig. 27 drops. 27 kingfish. All but 5 legal and kept two 15 and 17 KGs. They were blown away. I went back th3 next weekend and similar action then not again for rest of season like that. Also cruising back to bar and find working birds or big schools on sounder and have a fe pumps can pay off. West coast swell like it is you can almost just hold the rod and the jig lifts 3m off the bottom ha 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:48pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just of note I got. 3PE Daiwa from Worksux from Simpson beach and it’s still my weapon of choice. Need to catch up with him again. Top bloke 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:49pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok I haven't been to the 23, same track out as the 22?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 7:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

just of note I got. 3PE Diana from Worksux from Simpson beach and it’s still my weapon of choice. Need to catch up with him again. Top bloke 
Yes, he is a top bloke
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 7:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There are a lot of kings out west. Mind you I am only guessing as I have seen a few monsters caught in the Manukau over the years and they seem to disappear in winter so they have to come from somewhere. The good guys seem to regularly get 20kg jobbies from the harbour but I'm not one of those. My personal best out west (poet Smudge) was 23 kg

Someone will be catching them for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 10:23pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nothing wrong with a 23 kg King Smudge
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:13am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

Nothing wrong with a 23 kg King Smudge

No, but it was only one I've caught out west over 15 or 16kg. Still good fish but there are some guys that regularly get big fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 9:13am
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's hard to catch King's jigging out west, biggest Ive seen is 25kg from the Manukau harbour.. we've caught a 10 kg one jigging on what we thought was a tuna school at the 100m mark...I haven't jigged gannet for them... So can't comment on raglan king's.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 9:20am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeh I think the lack of structure doesn't help, I have come across some pinnacles that aren't on the maps by chance but haven't bothered to jig around them yet. Judging by the large amounts of bait fish around last weekend no doubt there will be some good sized Kings around but catching them is another matter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JackRussel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:27pm
JackRussel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

Yeh I think the lack of structure doesn't help, I have come across some pinnacles that aren't on the maps by chance but haven't bothered to jig around them yet. Judging by the large amounts of bait fish around last weekend no doubt there will be some good sized Kings around but catching them is another matter.

If you do manage to do it, tell me the details. I'm interested because I've never caught a fish over 10 kilograms. Well, I'm also new to fishing, not much experience yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 12:46pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will do,  ours have only been around the 10 kg mark from out there, the larger ones were from the east coast