skin cancer

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 8:30pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

My contribution on here is somewhatdifferent.
Today, I got results from an urgent MRI scan they did last Thursday.
I was expecting the worse, another trip to Middlemore like I had a couple of years ago but no, this time it's benign.
Lucky, lucky me~~I'm stoked.
It's pretty tough awaiting these results & cancer is puss but I'm glad I got seen early.
cheers & an extra beer tonight for me.
Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 8:42pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great news Bill. Bet you will enjoy that beer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:41pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

20 yrs old and you think you are bullet proof. Whoever heard of skin cancer? Sunburn was normal. When you boil it down it is radiation burns.
50 yrs on and we are all dealing with it. Dodging bullets.
The real story probably is to convince the next gen of 20 yr olds.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 4:52am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

20 yrs old and you think you are bullet proof. Whoever heard of skin cancer? Sunburn was normal. When you boil it down it is radiation burns.
50 yrs on and we are all dealing with it. Dodging bullets.
The real story probably is to convince the next gen of 20 yr olds.
Alan
Good call Alan, At least with the video game craze, facebook etc half of them and the younger ones are inside glued to there computer & phone screens out of the sun not like mine and your generation most of the day were spent outside  doing stuff..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 9:31am
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, I’m in my late 40ies and you have certainly given me a lot to think about. After been burned as a kid I do have a very rigorous sunscreen routine for the last 30 years, but still complacent with getting my freckles checked out. This thread is quite an eye opener…
I half-ar***edly asked my GP to have a look and all I got was a brochure so I brushed it off and put it in the “she’ll be right” basket. Think I’ll skip that step and go straight to the experts. One thing I do not understand is why the insurance doesn’t cover these checks and preventive surgeries? It surely is in their interest to keep their clients healthy, right?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 10:22am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by e.m.p! e.m.p! wrote:

Well, I’m in my late 40ies and you have certainly given me a lot to think about. After been burned as a kid I do have a very rigorous sunscreen routine for the last 30 years, but still complacent with getting my freckles checked out. This thread is quite an eye opener…
I half-ar***edly asked my GP to have a look and all I got was a brochure so I brushed it off and put it in the “she’ll be right” basket. Think I’ll skip that step and go straight to the experts. One thing I do not understand is why the insurance doesn’t cover these checks and preventive surgeries? It surely is in their interest to keep their clients healthy, right?

Good on you e.m.p, its thought provoking stuff when you are waiting for lymph node biopsies results to come back. When I got my biopsy done there were 3 other people getting theirs done. I often wonder how they got on and what there life is like now.

re the insurance. We have been with Southern Cross and they cover 80% ? of the costs, whatever the % is it is certainly most of it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 12:05pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For those with medical insurance, please check your cancer limits. Some have restrictions, like only covering certain treatments and cancer limits to a maximum of under $100k. With the changing treatment scenario, you may find your treatment isn’t covered, or 100k doesn’t cover much. When you add related scans & treatments at 10-15k per pop, you may reach your limit in a matter of weeks. That is when the state system, notwithstanding the pains, is a lifesaver. The time to choose the path to take is at diagnosis.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 2:45pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

One aspect to be aware of as a fishing buddy discovered is a mole, lesion or whatever removed no matter how minor can be considered to be a pre existing condition should more serious issues emerge later on.
Buddy & partner had booked an overseas trip of a lifetime along with "top of the range" travel insurance covering every contingency or so they thought.
Out of the blue buddy was diagnosed as having cancer & rushed into hospital .... sadly did not make it past 2 or 3 weeks.
In due course his partner notified the insurance company expecting a full pay out only to be told because he had a mole removed a decade or so before, it was considered to be a pre existing condition therefore the claim was null & void.
She engaged a lawyer to lodge a claim against the company which dragged on for months until the company agreed to pay out 50% which was determined to be her share.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 3:48pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I remember Dad saying when growing up in the 30s/40s  Summer dress code was long cotton shirt/Hat and cotton pants.
Did I adhere his advice in 70/80s no and got severly burnt.It was like I coated myself in cooking oil.Face/scalp/arms all went a blackish colour while peeling. Today I cover up with sunscreen on all parts ,exposed or not.

1994 ran around fiji in shorts and never got a sun tan. Shows how high our UV content is. Never burnt in Aussie either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 4:38pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is my understanding the greatest risk comes when one looses tan over winter then gets re burnt each yr.
For the last ..50 odd yrs now I have never lost my tan, and never got re burnt.
Thu for the last 20 odd yrs always had a shirt on... short sleeves.
 Also around 40 odd yrs ago a old ex farmer m8 lost his nose ears, lips ...
So have always worn a wide brimmed stockmans type hat.

Funny thing is , guys up into the 1950s early 60s wore wide brimmed hats... as have most cultures around the world for 1000s of yrs....
And now ppl wear caps with advertising on....
Add to that the number of good m8s who seem to be on a round about getting melanoma repeatedly removed from ears, back ans side necks and faces.

Yet even thu fair/ blond, fair skinned, last time I used a sun lotion block was back in the early 70s .. plastered white coconut oil on shoulders nose and lips.

I think maybe how we have covered  over (type hats), maintained tans over winter over decades has a big influence on end result..
Even so as said before, something appear or change I just get it cut out.. not frozen..and if large a few stitches .. including had a couple removed from side of my face.
Always sent for biopsy .. never had a +ve yet ...

Only 'incident' was about 4yrs ago, went in for Doc to chop one off my chest.. he did a few other checks, couple months later went for stents in my heart.. they found as the widow maker, locked the ward doors behind me, ending in a open heart triple by pass.
And the little tag thingy fell off few days after the doc appointment...

Page  <12