Xtra Long Kahawai Plus Big Snap! Mokau....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xtra Long Kahawai Plus Big Snap! Mokau....
    Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 5:09am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, When viewing the weird coloured full moon with mate Steve up staying ready for early morn fish with me the next day I said it might make the fish go nuts on the biteLOLAnd thats exactly wot happened!! Beaut conditions we headed out at 7 a.m did the usual catch our fresh bait at river mouth then headed out to one of my favourite spots. Real slow first two hours with nothing, then like many trips before the Snaps arrived after sniffing out our big fresh baitsWink. First couple 4-5 kg perfect eating size, then I got a freight train type run!  Straight away knew it was a goodieThumbs Up I settled in after hooking it and played it in slowly to boat with some stonker runs! Steve netted it, a quick look could see one of me big circle hooks was engulved with wot was left of a Kahawai head! Stuck in its gills the fish was spent. Tried a release after measuring but it didn't make it. Had a big tail went 86cm.
Next it was Steves turn! he got a nice one around 20 lbs he let go at side of boat. A few more eating size then we went back to river mouth to catch bait for today if I go out. After a few normal Kahawai I caught The long one. Skinny as but at 63cm I wasn't complaining My new Length P.b.Big smile
When I enter todays catches in the Db Export National measure Comp that will be two new leaders in Grunter's Comp. Who knows I might even get a reply from him. its been a few years.
As Iv'e showed before I have included a pic of how I prepare a Kahawai Head for Straylining. The bigger adult heads are better the pic is of a smaller one. 
A few pics from todays fish'n.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 6:56am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

very nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 8:33am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Geoff. An absolute millpond.

One boat from Waitara got 10 over 15 lbs yesterday (all returned), so it was an awesome day along the coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 9:58am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fishn Geoff. On the leader board again. What did the big boy pull the scales to.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 12:20pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thumbs UpNice conditions also..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 12:51pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very nice fish as usual,, great report, and yeh that's a man size stray lining bait
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:23am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

Well done Geoff. An absolute millpond.

One boat from Waitara got 10 over 15 lbs yesterday (all returned), so it was an awesome day along the coast.
Hi Keith thanks for reply! yes read that on FB, good Fish'n alright. Hows the Mac 360 purchasing going, have you brought one yet? When you have your welcome to join my brother and I beach launching. We will assist to make it easier for you. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:25am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok Geoff whats your secret using heads and no sharks??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:28am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

Very nice fish as usual,, great report, and yeh that's a man size stray lining bait
Hi Tony, believe me thats a small bait! I see Waikato Sport Fishing Club running a big measure Comp starting soon. Is Mokau in the Fishing Boundaries? if so Wife and I will join up and enter. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:35am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Great fishn Geoff. On the leader board again. What did the big boy pull the scales to.
Cheers Craig, I didn't weigh it. The Mokau Butcher, our weighmaster wasn't home. Mid 11's i would say. big head and  body but no condition on fillets they were skinny and white it had spawned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:45am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Ok Geoff whats your secret using heads and no sharks??
Hi Pcj,I can't put that down to the silent little boat! Get e'm in colder months as I report in winter posts but apart from the odd lone Grey they have gone for me anyway as I fish shallow. The boats at 40-50 metres fishing which is most like the majority do out West are getting alot still.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:57am
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another great report Snappa Geoff.Stonker of a fish.