Bay of Islands Marine Mammal Sanctuary

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bay of Islands Marine Mammal Sanctuary
    Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:22pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:32pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep what a joke,no feed no mammals.  And you slow down ,even stop and flipper still wants to hang around?? I can see DOC joining fisheries over xmas/new year issuing fines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:33pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep - total bull**** - i spent a lot of time reading the submissions - and it was very evident that most were against the implementation 

once again the public consultation is just a bit of window dressing that gets ignored because the result has already been decided
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 9:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

our place enjoys a view out over this 5knot speed limit zone - my observations over the last couple of weeks since the new legislation has been in place would suggest that boaties are either totally un-aware of or are ignoring the new rules.

i would be extremely confident in saying that there has been no appreciable change in boating behaviour within the new Mammal Sanctuary zone. Slow boats still go slow, fast boats still go fast and jetskis are still the worst offenders of all boating rules - typically 40+kts everywhere incl. within anchored boats

xmas and boxing days had a group of dolphins swimming amongst anchored boats in Paradise Bay, Urupukapuka for several hours at a time - and of course they were like magnets for swimmers, paddle-boarders and kids in dinghies - everyone seemed be enjoying themselves - incl. the dolphins.

your tax dollars well spent again it would seem...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 3:28am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been discussion on it on a another site.Where are the rules displayed,clubs not notified,DOC website been out of action for over a week,so no info.

Yes can slow a power boat down within 300m when dolphins approach but how do you slow a yacht that surfing with a spinnaker up in 300m safely??

Dolphins/boats/people been mixing for centuries.  Has DOC looked at the Dolphin food source??If its not there where do they think dolphins are going to go?? One of DOCs reasons is that the Dolphin rides bow waves etc and looses sight of pod so cannot rejoin,bollocks.Most Dolphin encounters last maybe 10 minutes at most and when in feed mode dont interact at all.

Not saying a sanctuary is not a good idea but DOC needs to be realistic,something most wont know the Dolphin interaction is not just for the BOI but applies around the entire NZ coastline now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 10:45am
Titanium
Titanium

a brief Police presence on this stretch of water yesterday.

no one pulled up for exceeding 5knots - but Police boat itself also observed inadvertently exceeding speed limit- before appearing to realise their mistake and slowing LOL
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 10:58pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Marine mammals decide whether they want to interact or not.
A few years ago I slowed down to watch some orca, next thing I knew they had surrounded the boat and we're following us at our moderate speed, maintaining speed and distance with the boat, broaching and swimming on their sides, looking up at us..then they left, and we continued on our way.

you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 10:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

as the boating season approaches in BoI - replacement and additional signage has been installed - i guess with the expectation that people will adhere to the new rules

shore based signage for the restrictions has had to be replaced for a second time now after recent and repeated vandalism. And now we have moored marker buoys placed on the 5knot boundaries

despite these additions, i expect everyone will continue to totally ignore the rules - we even had a fairly high profile Youtube channel film/publish themselves inadvertently infringing...

all-in-all - taxpayer money well spent... 

No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 6:32am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The whole thing is a very large and very bad joke. The Government and DOC had no intention of listening to any submissions on the proposal. It was pre-ordained decision. They rammed it through simply because they want a green 'win' to sell to the gullible public. Despite a respected cetacean scientist saying the plan was bonkers.

The five knot markers they have installed are small and hard to see navigation hazards that are going to be run over.

And the question has to be asked - how do they police such an area? Surely a DOC boat in the zone would have to go more than five knots in order to chase down a boat doing more than five knots?

The way this dolphin 'sanctuary' was implemented and the total disregard for local opinion was and is quite scary.

p.s. dolphins occasionally pass through the area. They don't live there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 6:42am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The 5knot rule is not exclusively BOI.It applies to all encounters anywhere with marine mammals. The BOI ruling is DOC thing, they somehow believe the mammals live there, why I have no idea. We use to have lots of mammal visits in the Firth but once the food source disappeared so did the mammals. A few weeks ago we did encounter a few mammals at KKB,slowed down as they were moving and feeding.But a charter vessel plowed straight through,comnfronted skipper at the ramp.his answrr"they are smart and know how to avoid vessels"  My take was his attitude of who gives a F#$k.

How true is this story by "stuff" fairy tale I believe.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic