Sigh!

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sigh!
    Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 5:32pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 5:34pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And we blame commercial for destruction??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 5:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yep, absolute ****s. Report those people you know who are breaking the law.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 6:05pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Plonkers. Just how many fish do you need to eat anyway?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 7:32pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This happens more often than it's reported in the media. And it won't be these guys first time taking so much excess either.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 7:36pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depressing, Kitno.

Given the numbers hitting the water along the south-eastern coast of Auckland, I'm pretty sure the ones caught poaching are just the tip of the iceberg. Must be lots who don't get caught by the hard working fisheries officers (professional and voluntary - some of whom are dedicated Forum contributors Wink).

The poachers then take the fish back to their neighbourhoods and sell them to willing black market buyers.

The boats the authorities seize are mostly pieces of cr%p, no real loss to the 'owners'. Any fines they get from court proceedings are paid back at pittance a week. Their lawyers tell sob stories, and the individuals convicted laugh among themselves as they walk out of court.

Before this latest lockdown some maggots just abandoned a rusty old trailer at Half Moon Bay carpark. They just don't give a rat's...
Half a km up the road, the same people dump trailer loads of rubbish beside Pigeon Mountain reserve - old mattresses, tyres, broken furniture etc. Must do it in the middle of the night.

Welcome to modern NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:29pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The herald picture in the link above shows a snapper lying on an official measurer.
To give you an example of scale. The measurer is 350mm long.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 6:09am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, crazy. That fish would barely be 200mm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 6:21am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Depressing, Kitno.

Given the numbers hitting the water along the south-eastern coast of Auckland, I'm pretty sure the ones caught poaching are just the tip of the iceberg. Must be lots who don't get caught by the hard working fisheries officers (professional and voluntary - some of whom are dedicated Forum contributors Wink).

The poachers then take the fish back to their neighbourhoods and sell them to willing black market buyers.

The boats the authorities seize are mostly pieces of cr%p, no real loss to the 'owners'. Any fines they get from court proceedings are paid back at pittance a week. Their lawyers tell sob stories, and the individuals convicted laugh among themselves as they walk out of court.

Before this latest lockdown some maggots just abandoned a rusty old trailer at Half Moon Bay carpark. They just don't give a rat's...
Half a km up the road, the same people dump trailer loads of rubbish beside Pigeon Mountain reserve - old mattresses, tyres, broken furniture etc. Must do it in the middle of the night.

Welcome to modern NZ.
Hit the nail on the head there Lester! The fines and punishment these type get if caught are such a joke when commiting the offences the risk to them is nothing. 
Down our way the whole of the Taranaki coast, I'm pretty sure there is only two fishery offices to cover hundreds of K's of coast and alot of boat ramps. You are lucky to see them once a year at Mokau if that. Years ago there were regular Vollies like Kitno but not any more. Once again because of the under staffing to the scum bags its worth the risk. On the rubbish Lester driving anywhere these days just outside of a built up area down banks, bush etc dumped rubbish is in plain view. The councils have made dumping fee's so expensive its the easy option for the scum bags. Only the dumb ones get caught, by throwing bags of rubbish away containing there letter heads names and address. And yes council staff go through the bags at dump sites...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 7:46am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yip still blame the comms as well. Like hawks bay that 99 would be 99 tonnes of poached fish. 
But why why why under sized snapper.? Such small fish. May as well sieve  the water and scoop snapper eggs….

Always feel a bit stink after a fish and see that first 32cm fish in bin amoungst bigger fish after a slow start fishing season. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:20am
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Under sized fishing has been going on for years. 
Went to help a Chinese bloke retrieve his boat at long bay /Coro 20yrs ago. NO NO I no need help; Wave came over the transom, out came many very small Snaps. 
Two Asians were spoken to at Papa, back in February, fish taken off them and thrown into estuary ,size 25-. Sent them off to shop to buy plastic measure. Doubt whether they used it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:19am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

But why why why under sized snapper.? Such small fish. May as well sieve  the water and scoop snapper eggs….

Always feel a bit stink after a fish and see that first 32cm fish in bin amoungst bigger fish after a slow start fishing season. 

I know that latter feeling - done the same thing. But at least you're thinking about it and you care.

Other people taking way under-sized fish, or thousands of cockles from no take areas, doesn't surprise me in the slightest. If you don't care about the environment or anything but yourself, or have a sense of entitlement to whatever you can get your hands on, why worry?

In places I've travelled overseas, locals eat pretty much everything they catch. Reef areas are depleted daily with net and spear and even explosives. Some is for subsistence living, some some is unscrupulous for profit.
Regulations about size of fish, or catch limits, would be alien to the locals in those places.

At some of the popular smaller food markets in Auckland, you can buy tiny fish varieties which must be imported from the Pacific region. So if someone down the road offers you a couple of very small snapper for cash, why worry? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:31am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They keep describing these people as recreational fishers, but most of them are not.  They are illegal commercial fishers.  As Tamure Kid said, many of them take their illegally caught fish and then illegally sell it to others.  It is a commercial activity for them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:32am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Depressing, Kitno.

Welcome to modern NZ.

Sadly, I think you're right about all of this Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:40am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

They keep describing these people as recreational fishers, but most of them are not.  They are illegal commercial fishers.  As Tamure Kid said, many of them take their illegally caught fish and then illegally sell it to others.  It is a commercial activity for them.

We've been over this before. They are rec fishers!!! They have no commercial quota. They have rec quota. End of!!!
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:40am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes, to be a commercial fisherman you need to have quota. They can break the law in others ways. No quota and selling the catch = recreational fishers breaking the law even though it may be via a commercial  transaction. It's just the way it's worded.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:17pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

Went to help a Chinese bloke retrieve his boat at long bay /Coro 20yrs ago. NO NO I no need help; Wave came over the transom, out came many very small Snaps. 
Two Asians were spoken to at Papa, back in February, fish taken off them and thrown into estuary ,size 25-. Sent them off to shop to buy plastic measure. Doubt whether they used it. 
Funny how when you bust them, they pull out the me don't speak english, me don't understand cardLOL Seen it myself when I lived in Auck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:37pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

Funny how when you bust them, they pull out the me don't speak english, me don't understand cardLOL Seen it myself when I lived in Auck.

Every time SG your onto it.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ummm plenty of us kiwis steal fish too guys.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:37pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

true Smudge not sure what the number comparison is or even if that matters it’s a ****ty practise all the same. Such little meat once finished. Like a 30cm gurnard.   While traveling in Vietnam I went to supermarket and they had stacks of trays of small dried snapper the size of a 50c coin decoratively displayed. Maybe 30 snapper type fish on each tray wth glad wrap over the top. I couldn’t figure out how they ate them. They say they tip into oil and fry whole and eat like potatoe chips. Must have been thousands of the wee little fish.I asked what type but with language barrier that proved hard but confirmed wrapper stated Baby on it. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Page  12>