Missing Kawakawa bay

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing Kawakawa bay
    Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 8:26am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats a worry.. not a day we would have gone out Even as a guys day in a 5.5 or 6m boat.
Ntherly wind, up around 12+kts, then a change of tide around 9:30am.. tide against wind mid morning to mid afternoon. 
In a 14' craft.
  From just around the cnr from KK bay, wold be hitting into good 1m  nasty chop, with occasional going thru from the nth.
Spent a lot time out there around that coast over the last decade plus..
From around mid morning, stick you nose out from between any of those islands, just out into the furth, suddenly one hits some serious chop...serious enought to even find it hard to turn around and head in safely with it coming at you from the side... in a bigger more powerful boat.
 Would not like to do it in a 14' with that many ppl (weight) on board. let alone children.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:31am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As i was in Thames yesterday at 5.30am 20/25 + driving rain.While in Thames,5.00am till about 6.30 only saw 3 boats heading up the coast rd.unlike other Saturdays.     Heading over to waikawa bay farms??outside AK border

There is another article out that they set of in company of another vessel.The other vessel didnt notice they missing till back at Kawakawa bay.

The family had been expected to head across the Firth of Thames to a Coromandel mussel farm, but did not arrive as planned to meet another group there.
"The vessel had left Kawakawa Bay before sunrise that morning, along with another vessel for the Waikawau Mussel Farm, with one adult and three children onboard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:47am
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Now been found safe ..NZ Herald.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:54am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

Now been found safe ..NZ Herald.
Lucky  .Just shows we need too keep an eye on our  communication devises .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lucky  .Just shows we need too keep an eye on our  communication devises .

"Lucky" damn sight more than that considering the big tide, tide times, wind etc.
And as to communication device (phone) going flat not long after going out...
Put both together, add on the children.
 Question still hangs if equiped with life jackets, let along suitable and being worn , since boat under 6m.

Sry, lucky just doesn't sit with me... Stupidity..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 12:07pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just one word needed for the person /skipper of vessel  Friggingdork. Needs to be made to pay any/all costs associated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 2:13pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Orange hull white top side. No name on boat. I am sure it is a requirement that all vessels must have a name or number for identification not just a colour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They apparently filled up with gas on the Coro..
Bet hat wasnt planned... going thru that chop at an angle after tide changed would have gone thru a 5h1t lot fuel...

They where very lucky didnt run out before getting there.

I can understand launching and leaving KK bay ramp.. it would be quiet calm..
I dont understand not checking tides and weather for crossing the Firth.
I dont understand stucking their nose out from bottom Ponui intio the firth and not turning back in to fish the bay... It would have been rather choppy out there, even before tide changed... espec in 14' boat.
I dont understand taking on the return trip with or without the children
I understand camping out in a bay in lea of land.. after a trip like that the children would have been ...terrified.
And I understand the reported attitude of the children  being rather flippant in leaving that 'camping ground'

Funny how if we post up and reasons why "the guys a bloody idiot' type comments  . yet if like the last Manukau bar incident, they die... its sad , and no idiot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:49am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting thing I thought I heard them say they slept in Thames one night?
Isn't AKL meant to be isolated from the rest of the country??
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:11pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Several things wrong there: one form of comms, ratshyte conditions to go out, crossing the Auckland COVID border etc.  

Resulted in a huge waste of money and time from police, coastguard etc. - tens of thousands of dollars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:14pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agreed
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z