Pontoon boat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ljroys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pontoon boat
    Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 9:57am
Ljroys View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a 5 meter tsunami boat but is very unstable at rest any suggestions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 3:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

http://www.aqualisers.com

I think these guys are still around
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 5:41pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

http://www.aqualisers.com

I think these guys are still around

I'm not sure they are - have seen a few posts here and there asking for details, with no response.

I have them on my 4.6m tinny and they work great - but I only use them when I have newbies on the boat as my regular crew understands the tippy nature of smaller boats. They were invaluable though when I first got the boat.

I'm unsure if you'd be able to fit onto a pontoon as there are brackets that need to be screwed/rivetted to the side of the boat for the Aqualisers to sit during travel - this would involve putting holes into your pontoons.

I am also somewhat surprised that a pontoon boat would feel tippy and unstable - the effective shape of the Aqualisers, in conjunction with the hull, is similar to a large gullwing shape and I'm surprised the pontoons aren't achieving that already.

This is the other system I've found in Australia - https://boatcollar.com.au/ - have no idea if available here in NZ.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:56am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unless the pontoons actually sit well in to the water, they do nothing other than provide extra buoyancy if the boat is swamped. People go on about the  RH Senators, but from what i can see the hull shape is no different on the outside than on many non pontoon boats, like their Typhoon range.

Problem is, if the pontoons sit will in the water at rest, they will drag when under way, and lift the stern, forcing the bow down. I had an old Liteweight hull, it was really stable, but getting the nose up was not happening.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 2:41pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like an engineering challenge for someone - design 'outriggers' on arms that can be deployed when at rest and fold inside the boat when underway. The seafaring people of ancient times worked out how to keep tippy canoe hulls stable, and they are still the go to around Polynesia etc today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 6:24am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a thought, had a mate with an older Stabi around five meters long had similar isues. One of the pontoons had a tiny hole and had let a hundred litres or so of water in over a long period of time. Was only discovered one day when his mate heard a sloshing noise at the ramp after putting boat back on trailer from fishing. They sorted it by  installing a plastic bung at back of pontoon and repairing hull. Boat  was good as after that. Also Tsunami boats off memory are quite liteweight in construction, with the pontoons alot thinner alloy than other brands. Does taking a few mates out make a difference on how it sits in water for stability.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ljroys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 5:13pm
Ljroys View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi mate when you in the water the pontoon doesn't even come close to the water not sure if because of the deep v hull
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 6:00am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Guys, Ljroys is just after some help here. If you can't offer meaningful help then scroll by. This forum is for Newbies, we're hardly encouraging people if we're not going to help them.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ljroys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 11:03am
Ljroys View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank mate very much appreciated