Snaps to 85cm plus! Mokau

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 2:26pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome fish Geoff as usual, we are hanging out to get back out to the west too but we haven't had the green light,, or is it orange,,, um anyway great fishing !!Clap
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 5:56pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice stuff.  Please send some my way :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:45pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fish Geoff. I think all akld fishos are over COVID - locked down then crappy weather.

My regular buddy up here wants to come down and check out the big snapper with you he is double vaccinated but who knows when?

Cheers John.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 7:16am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Great fish Geoff. I think all akld fishos are over COVID - locked down then crappy weather.

My regular buddy up here wants to come down and check out the big snapper with you he is double vaccinated but who knows when?

Cheers John.
Not wot iv'e been seeing on Facebook John, queue's a mile long at ramps, hundreds of boats close together fishing, ramps jammed. I have a couple of close friends Iv'e made through this Forum John that still make it here from time to time with there boats to go out with me and Id'e rather leave it at that. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 8:40am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes true that akld fishos are desperate to get out - first weekend we were allowed out was crazy out here on Manukau and weather was poor and a diver and Kayaker drowned unfortunately.

No worries my buddy will have to catch that big one in the Manukau!  Still have pics of my session out there with you - quite amazing those Mokau Snaps!
Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 1:59pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Amazing fishing again Geoff.  I wonder if the same strategy you use would work all up and down the west coast of the North Island?  The recipe seems to be catch fresh baits on sabikis, anchor in maybe 10m water (near foul?), feed out big fresh baits on recurve hooks, then lots of patience.  Similar tactics nail some big snaps up near Cape Maria van Dieman.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 4:17pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Amazing fishing again Geoff.  I wonder if the same strategy you use would work all up and down the west coast of the North Island?  The recipe seems to be catch fresh baits on sabikis, anchor in maybe 10m water (near foul?), feed out big fresh baits on recurve hooks, then lots of patience.  Similar tactics nail some big snaps up near Cape Maria van Dieman.
Hi FQ, Thanks.. Any body can do it, yet 99 % of fisherman fish different methods. And the Bigger Snaps are everywhere on the West coast of North Island. Did you watch fishing and adventure a few weeks back on Mokau, I was on it and they were doing the same sort of fishing I do, although deeper. Check out there results! I had another crack at them thismorn, although we probably shouldn't of been out as it was NE gusting 15, with small whitecaps. We tucked right in close about 7metres. getting sheltered from the cliffs. caught alot of bait and still managed one snap that went 8 kg. Released straight away. Headed back in at 10am, called it a practice Day...Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki1850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 7:12pm
Naki1850 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Geoff, great fish as usual!! Where abouts is the border up there mate? North or South of the river, I’m wondering if I can still get out from Mokau coming from NP or it’s a no go. Cheers! 
Page  <12