Snaps to 85cm plus! Mokau

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snaps to 85cm plus! Mokau
    Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 7:57pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, Fished New Plymouth side of Mokau thismorn due to restrictions and a first in my brothers Mac 360 instead of mine! I feel this sight is getting close to flogging a dead horse lately with a bunch of hard core regulars still contributing, myself included with the viewers and other members dropping off dramatically. Youv'e only got to look at the stats to work this out.
We got off to an early 6.30 am launch, straight to a little river down the line to catch bait. Loaded up on Ten odd Kahawai and Jack Macs as I new we would need them if the big Spawning Snaps had arrived in closeWink I was bang on the money and after deploying our Straylines in shallow it wasn't long before we had a good Snap over 20 lbs taking off with a big fresh bait! We released it as well as five others over 20 during the session. Kept half a dozen 5-6 kg models for the bin as well. 
One of the bigger ones i got didn't survive releasing and had to come home. was a good fish went 85cm and weighed 11.40kg. Micks biggest he released would off topped that no trouble. If we can get a few more shots at them this and the next month, I'm confident of alot bigger ones.  Few photo's from thismorn. Micks best & releasing mine and on measure. Beer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 8:18pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice Geoff 
Congrats on another great day. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 8:52pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Super stuff, Geoff.
I reckon you might have a DB comp podium fish in your sights, and I hope you snag one Wink

I hope you don't get too dispirited by the site stats. i think there's been some contributing factors to a drop off in the past year or so, including the well-canvassed IT log in issues, and then the fact that Covid has kept so many people off the water at various times. I didn't post for a few months, as I was so dispirited by the lockdowns etc. I'm feeling more motivated now that us Jaffas can actually get in our boats.

Anyway, please know that your reports are a real morale boost, with your enthusiasm and your incredible catches.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 9:08pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good fishn Geoff. I'm still hanging in there and confident the site will get sorted. Just a shame about the collateral damage meantime.
Any idea if it's possible to get to Mokau from Tauranga without having to cross border restricted areas?
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 9:25pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done Geoff. That's an amazing day's fishing. Wow imagine catching 6 @ 20+ in a session I'm at 2 in a lifetime๐Ÿ˜‰
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:14pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice ๐Ÿ‘. Hopefully be able to hit those west coast snaps in the next month.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:56pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Any idea if it's possible to get to Mokau from Tauranga without having to cross border restricted areas?

Here's a road trip for you, mate: Rotovegas, Taupo, Turangi, Taumarunui, Whangamomona (what a drive that is!), Stratford, NP and up the coast...

That's presuming the drive via Taupo is faster to Turangi than via Mangakino and the western route.

Your prize for that two day camel ride: the chance to fish for a 30lber with the master...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 5:53am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Very nice Geoff 
Congrats on another great day. 
Thanks Krow!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 5:58am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Super stuff, Geoff.
I reckon you might have a DB comp podium fish in your sights, and I hope you snag one Wink

I hope you don't get too dispirited by the site stats. i think there's been some contributing factors to a drop off in the past year or so, including the well-canvassed IT log in issues, and then the fact that Covid has kept so many people off the water at various times. I didn't post for a few months, as I was so dispirited by the lockdowns etc. I'm feeling more motivated now that us Jaffas can actually get in our boats.

Anyway, please know that your reports are a real morale boost, with your enthusiasm and your incredible catches.

You read my mind Lester! Yep the DB Comp is top of the heap! Thanks for the kind wordsBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:04am
Titanium
Titanium

Good fishn Geoff. I'm still hanging in there and confident the site will get sorted. Just a shame about the collateral damage meantime.
Hi Craig, a bit dodgy Id'e say! would hate to see you try it and get turned aroundLOL Pretty strict road blocks here in Mokau as we are the border to Waikato. Yet over the bridge your in level two Taranaki and boating allowed. Thats why Mick came up from N.P with his boat...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:08am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Well done Geoff. That's an amazing day's fishing. Wow imagine catching 6 @ 20+ in a session I'm at 2 in a lifetime๐Ÿ˜‰
Hi Stephen thanks for reply! suppose you could say wev'e got it down to a fine art now on catching the bigger fish Straylining.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:16am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Here's a road trip for you, mate: Rotovegas, Taupo, Turangi, Taumarunui, Whangamomona (what a drive that is!), Stratford, NP and up the coast...

That's presuming the drive via Taupo is faster to Turangi than via Mangakino and the western route.

Your prize for that two day camel ride: the chance to fish for a 30lber with the master...
LOLLOLLOL Technically thats possible Lester! Let me know Craig if you decide?Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:33am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well  done Geoff, you certainly have an amazing back yard. Good to see still plenty of big snapper present, obvious that the stock are in great healthThumbs Up Unlike my BOP/ Coromandel area

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:19am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's amazing. Look at the quality of those fish too. They are almost as fat as me!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:25am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some porky pigs there Geoff well done mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:25am
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Beautiful fish caught fella ๐Ÿ‘Œ
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Well  done Geoff, you certainly have an amazing back yard. Good to see still plenty of big snapper present, obvious that the stock are in great healthThumbs Up Unlike my BOP/ Coromandel area

Thanks Kaveman! yep its sign of wot hundreds of boats continuously fishing has depleted the areas I'm figuring. The big Snaps are here at home now Kaveman but wot protects them the most is the wild west coast weather. I don't know when i will get another shot at them it might be a week a  fortnight a month or so. Plus if your relying on getting out over the Mokau Bar you have less of a chance. Wot I do isn't for everyone but I'm the only one down here that does it, but I can tell you I very rarely see another boat within miles of me. The others all go deep. Beer
P.S. When I joined The Forum I have great memories of Lethals huge Snaps coming out of your area when he was still fishing... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

That's amazing. Look at the quality of those fish too. They are almost as fat as me!
Cheers Smudge, no your no where near that fat! You need alot more rums and body abuse to get there..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Some porky pigs there Geoff well done mate
Cheers MuppetWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MrWildabeast MrWildabeast wrote:

Beautiful fish caught fella ๐Ÿ‘Œ
Appreciated Mr WB.Beer
Page  12>