Second set of hooks on slow pitch jigs?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second set of hooks on slow pitch jigs?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:04pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This seems to be the norm overseas but a single set at the top of the jig seem to be how it’s done in NZ. Anyone tried the 2nd set at the bottom of the jig?
Is it worth it trying?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:29pm
WillyG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have used a few of the Zets/Palms slow blatt jigs that I picked up in Aussie, which are shore jigging designs.
Not sure if it made a huge difference, but I think most fish were hooked on the top hooks still. 
They're a zinc jig so you could have a lighter jig with a larger profile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:20pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can't say I miss many fish with slow pitch jigs. I reckon another set of hooks just makes it more likely to snag foul. Maybe keep a few spare hook sets to hand and if you find that you're getting strikes, but no hookups, then add in the bottom set. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 10:16am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hook up rate goes up markedly on slow days.

downside is they get hooked mid body by the other set of hooks and fight like a plastic bag

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 9:36pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ve found with hooks on bottom big snapper throw them , hooks on top eye they stayed hooked. Was a very good shimano butterfly jig that had hooks attached on bottom, great for hookups not so good for landing fish
I like two hooks on top. The one with hooks on bottom also eventually snagged and is now attached to deep part of Leigh reef.