Snapper from the Shallows and Spring Workups

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snapper from the Shallows and Spring Workups
    Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:51am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So here is the video from my latest saltwater fly exploits around Auckland. I posted the photos up the other day but here is the video.

Had some good success from a shallow reef getting snapper on fly and then some spring workups turned up in the distance.  Such a great day out, just a bit windy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:36pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Very good Johan Videos are looking very slick these days. Excellent underwater and drone shots.

Getting a little close to the Northland border though. I wonder how long we can keep you filthy Aucklanders out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:47pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha not even close, the boundary is up by Mangawhai. I'd have to get very lost to end up there LOL
I'm glad you notice a difference in the videos. I'm working hard to get the quality up. Let me know if you have any interesting saltfly ideas. While I am stuck in Auckland l am happy to go and try some alternative things. I plan to do some shore based stuff as well as getting up in the mangroves. Kings off markers too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:48pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ideas? That's easy. Get on the island and attack it from the shore. It opens up a whole lot of country that you can't get a cast near in a drifting boat and highlights how shallow snapper will sit in undisturbed water.
Looks like plenty of pot-holey country in that area... perfect!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:10am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone tried fishing amongst the kelp with a booby fly and sinking line? 
Imagine the line would get the fly down, and the floats on the fly would keep it up out of the kelp somewhat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 12:12pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I personally think you'd get snagged. It only takes the smallest amount of wave action for a sinking flyline to quickly become entangled in the kelp. Fishing just above the kelp with either a sink tip or a floater is how I approach it. Flies will rip out of kelp leaves on a twenty pound leader. Just don't hook the stalk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:01pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've fished boobies in Tga harbour for snapper at dusk. Good and effective in a nice clean environment.  

Really nice video Jo, liking the fact that you have a lockdown haircut. My missus wont touch mine and I'm super shaggy, almost 3 months since the last mop chop. (I'm a details guy, can you tell? LOL)
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:04pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Ideas? That's easy. Get on the island and attack it from the shore. It opens up a whole lot of country that you can't get a cast near in a drifting boat and highlights how shallow snapper will sit in undisturbed water.
Looks like plenty of pot-holey country in that area... perfect!

I nearly did it today, was low tide and some good areas exposed was just a tad windy and I forgot my stripping basket. Nothing from the shallows today but the morning had heap off kahawai which was great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:07pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

I've fished boobies in Tga harbour for snapper at dusk. Good and effective in a nice clean environment.  

Really nice video Jo, liking the fact that you have a lockdown haircut. My missus wont touch mine and I'm super shaggy, almost 3 months since the last mop chop. (I'm a details guy, can you tell? LOL)

Glad you enjoyed it, the only good thing about lockdown is no-one cares about my self cut mop, something which I have been doing for the last 20 or so years. Haven't seen a hairdresser or had any other trim other than for my wedding LOL  My poor kids suffer the same fate.