salt away

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: salt away
    Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 6:51am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys was given a 1ltre salt away, do you use it each flush or from time to time. i have only flushed with water . your comments please,cheersBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:55am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice gift 👍 I personally use for every motor wash every after trip. Only when finishing motor flush till the bubbles come out then shut down so salt away is left in outboard. Also periodically use on boats exterior, trailer fishing gear lightly. It’s pricey stuff so I try to keep amount used to a minimum. 

A bit on the side of your thread, there are a number of other cheaper brands including a brunsco brand. Guessing they are the same recipe or close enough to work as well? 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:10am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers for that Reel Deal
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:51am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use it after every trip. The motor - I flush with fresh water first for about 8 mins (want it up to temperature), then with saltaway for a couple of  mins (want saltaway still present in the dispenser, so some stays in the motor). Then spray it all over the boat. I think it removes dried on salt; as can see the visible salt on the screen disappears. Also I spray it on my reels and rods. I like it a lot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:14am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Years ago an o/b mechanic I had complete confidence in advised it is best to only use a saltaway type flushing additive on about every 5 th flush or thereabouts.

He claimed that using it with every flush can do more harm than good as any residual coating left on the motor internals can affect the protective coatings ... furthermore he advised that when it is used to thoroughly flush the motor with fresh water only that has risen in temperature for 5 mins or so.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:26am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use salt away to flush motor and flush trailer...
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:30am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does it remove hard salt cyrstals?/1 hr drive home so motor has had chance to cool right down so baked in salt??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 12:50pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Does it remove hard salt cyrstals?/1 hr drive home so motor has had chance to cool right down so baked in salt??

Says on container
"Saltaway is a maintenance product that safely removes salt from all surfaces. Except for salt build-up, results are immediate. Salt build-up can be broken down by regular, frequent applications and leaving product in build-up areas."
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 4:28pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Follow Reel Deal and legstreams advice.

Yes it breaks down crystals over time.

Hence leaving it in the waterways overtime it improves.
If boat sitting for a month.
Flush motor with water then re use salt away to linger in waterways again.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 5:26pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I flush the motor in a cut down wheely bin with the tell tale going back into the bin. I use a solution of Salt Away and flush the motor for about 15-20 mins then turn it off and hook up a hose from the wash down pump intake and drop it into the bin then use this to wash down the boat. Once done I top up the wheely bin with water and Salt Away ready to go next time. Sounds a bit complicated but easy as and everything gets a wash with the treatment.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 5:39pm
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The key to any flush according to my OB mechanic is to run the engine until the telltale runs warm indicating that the thermostat(s) are open. This allows the Salt Away to reach into all the nooks and crannies that it otherwise wouldn't if the thermostat is closed. He also said to me that to flush with SA every 2nd or 3rd time out is sufficient (for cost economics) as long as it is flushed with fresh water every time (also with the thermostat open)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:23am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good advise Smile

Wonder what Salt Away consist of?
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z