Top Lures of the Season

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Lures of the Season
    Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 10:44am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

On this wet and wild Sunday, the need to post gamefishing topics is overwhelming. So I thought I'd pick up on the earlier thread about the top lures of the gamefishing season to date.

Please add more as the season progresses.

My own experience is:

Legend Andromeda with black Black/purple skirt - one strike.

Legend Enki with Ascension skirt (silver bottom multi coloured top) - two strikes and one fish landed.

Zuker 5.5 with Black Purple skirt (fish landed on Bushie's Boat at Whangaroa)

Mouldcraft widerange Black/purple (Bushie's again. much interest shown in this lure, eventually being lost to a stroppy marlin at Houhora).

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 11:09am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Bushies Zuker 5.5 also accounted for his marlin at Houhora plus PD Squids Albert run on both occaisions well back on the shotgun

From my own stable of lures the the legend Enki blue/silver with pink inner Obald bult for me the week before Houhora got a severe hammering the first day and was eventually lost when I used to much drag way to close to the bottom of the spool on my 50wide. I secured a replacement but with a dark blue plastic head that accounted for PDS marlin on day two.

On my Tuna efforts it was a Zuker equivelent of the black majic affrican warrior in black purple that dealt to my yellowfin and my mates short billed spearfish.

The rest of them were also rans that will also run next year. All my lures have hayes single hooks in a simple rig.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 11:17am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Green/yellow over lumo Enki: two fish

'Koheru' over purple/slver cupped Iduna: one hopefully not dead fish and one strike

Red headed ProRange Julana in blue/silver over pink white: one fish plus one strike

Black headed ProRange small Dracula in black/purple over black/white/lilac: two strikes

Merlin in green/gold glitter over green/silver one strike.

Blue/silver over pink/white has had a good year on other boats as well - not exactly a 'new' discovery I realise.

Random musings on all sorts of things http://obaldnz.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 11:45am
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Enki Blue/silver over pink/purple 2 from 5

Small Wide Range Purple/silver over black 1 from 3

Joe Yee White Pearl Medium Plunger Blue/Silver over pink/black tied on with waxed thread of course with a Roddy haircutand half a Pakula shackle rig.   5 from 5 (3 Stripeys,55.7kg Y/Fin and a 250kg Blue)

Medium Lumo Sprocket 1 from 2.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 11:45am
Ski View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

orange /brown petrolero with white head 1 tagged marlin 2 dropped

zuker zuchini tuna lure,1 stripey ,several tuna

blue/white striker several dropped marlin ,3 mahimahi

green/yellow cita lure,2 dropped marlin,1mako released

purple/silver cita lure one dropped marlin one mahimahi

zuchini coloured macskippy(redhead)heaps albies and skippies

lumo sprocket  1 dropped marlin

orange brown pacific, eaten by marlin  bugga

blue pink hatteras 1 strike unknown

purple black hatteras chugger untouched this season

hooker ghost 2 dropped marlin

livebait kingy untouched

rest of livies released from livebait tank resulted in pack attack on all lures

yamaha reliability
senator stability
shimano superiority
the rest is up to the fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dead Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 11:52am
Dead Ant View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Red Gill Raglan Bigeye Tuna and Marlin Strike

Lumo Redgill Bigeye Strikes

Lumo Sprocket Marlin Strike

Small Red Gill squid Brown Striped Marlin

Pink White MacSkippy - Enough Skippies to fill the bait freezer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billpears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 5:25pm
billpears View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Geez Bender, hate it when ya put threads like this up cause "I'SE STILL A VIRGIN"
every bloody lure looks good to me-do they need hooks???
Sqidmaster
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 5:58pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lumo sprocket about 8 dropped fish and 1 landed

black and purple 5.5 zuker 2 dropped 1 after 30+ minutes on the end

pukula evil 1 dropped and lure destroyed by the same fish we think.

fuggly squid 2 dropped

thats this season all with single hooks and until the last capture all but 6 on light drags started back to heavier drags with a bit of prompting from dustin and running 4.5 at strike and upto 6.5 on the run, hey it worked for me so will carry on with it other have different ideas for sure, they all seem to work.

has been a dam good season for me even though i have dropped 14 of the god dam mutha ****en **** kicking ****ers my sanity is still there in tact dohh

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TM. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 6:33pm
TM. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Black magic Option 4 lumo:  3 x Stripeys,  1 x  Blue marlin plus strikes

pakula lumo squid:  1 x stripey plus strikes

Hooker Ghost:  1 x Stripey plus strikes

Fugly Squid:  1 x Stripey

Zuker 5.5 purp/black:  no action

Pakula evil:  no action

Has definately been a season for the light coloured squid type lures for me apart for the one that took the fugly....that fish also hit the lumo first 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 8:29pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1 x stripey: Joe Yee - Apollo reverse Evil.
1 x stripey: Williamson - Bom Bom Expess lumo.
1 x Stripey: Pacific - Hawiian Orange (pooh brown).
1 x bluey: Mouldcraft - Wide Range blue/pink.

numerous knockdowns, strikes and short lived hook ups on: Legend Lures Enki green/gold, Legend Lures Merlin in 'Koheru', Joe Yee Apollo reverse Evil & Williamson - Bom Bom Express lumo.

1 x Stripey: skipjack livebait.

and more skippies and alberts than I could possibly remember on one of Uncle's MacSkippy's in pink/white.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 8:39pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lumo sprocket = 4 landed marlin 5 others dropped

5.5 zuker = 1 landed marlin 1 dropped

squid sprocket = 2 landed 4 dropped

zuker tuna lure bright yellow = 1 dropped

the 2 sprockets on the riggers have been nailed all season... have had alot of fish up having a play then diving off

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2006 at 9:16pm
Mark Edwards View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

...interesting postings, for what its worth, our first season has been as follows;

lumo green pacific baitfishx1 landed

lumo option4 BM grandslammerx2 strikes

green and yellow beer barrelx1 strike

brown coloured squid, big t i thinkx1 strike

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bitie2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2006 at 10:59pm
bitie2000 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haha, do all you guys have the same lures and just pass them around between you!! Seems to be a bit of a trend here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2006 at 11:11pm
Phats View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uncles Macskippy Pink/white 1 x Skippy, 2 x lost skippys at boat

Uncles Macskippy Blue/white untouched at same time

Yes , thats right, Im a funny haha

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2006 at 5:53am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HotBite G Spot - blue/silver/pink -3 hits
HotBite G Spot - dark brown/orange - 2 hits
Pacific fruit salad - 2 hits
Lumo sprocket - 1 tagged, 1 serious enquiry
Moldcraft wide range blue black/silver - 1 mako
MacSkippy, pink/blue - skippies, mahimahi, kingies and eventually lost to a good kingy.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Imortal2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2006 at 1:14pm
Imortal2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bonze Evil- 1 bite = 1 blue = lost lure

Bonze Evil Number 2 - 1 bite = 1 blue = gaffed, gotcha you pr!ck

Bonze Bullet - 2 bites = 1 blue 1 stripey = smoked by the blue, dropped stripe.

Bonze The Kahawai- 1 bite lost at boat stripey

Bonze Angry Squid - 2 bites stripey

Bonze Scooter - 2 bites stripies, 1 mahi.

all in 3 days.

Ask Mr Rendle about the bullet head, its a top lure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2006 at 10:22pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Top Gun Medium plunger Lumo -1 stripey

1 blue(285kg)

Zuker -black/purple-5.5 - 1 mako

Bay of Plenty- Lumos and 5.5 Zukers are going off- they make up over 50% of all fish caught

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2006 at 1:42am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bonze does make some nice stuff.  Imortal - could you post some photos of your stuff please?  Bonze showed me some of his stuff when I visited Paihia but he hadn't started doing the bullet heads and kahawais when I was there.

Stretch - Sorry for the long delay in replying. Glad to hear from you mate. Hope Heath and yourself are catching them up.

cheers - Dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Donald Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2006 at 7:11am
Donald Duck View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Imortal2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2006 at 8:13am
Imortal2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

na his bullet head isnt on that site check out www.rollosmarine.co.nz/the5thdimension/vehiclelistings.asp?categoryID_list=17
Page  12>