Need to bite the bullet and go deep for fishfinder

Page  <1 345
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:46pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So I said earlier I would try and post some BL pics.
The weather gods have been unkind but I did get out early this morning, only to be beaten back really. But I snapped some pics.
Not the best because;
The screen on the sounder is wonky and unreadable unless you put polaroids on.
I have to put polaroids over the camera with one hand and hold the camera and take the pic with the other.
And the sea was lumpy and boat bouncing all over the place.
But here you go
So the first pic is BL and no fish - no point dropping a line here.
2nd pic is BL over fish. Looking good.
3rd pic is same spot - as quick as it took me to change menu setting from BL to No BL - ie full water column.
You get much better definition with BL.
It is not as dramatic on the Lowrance, and my only guess is the Lowrance has more processing capability - 5-10 yrs newer technology. But the difference is still significant .
Deep water fishing you should be on BL.
Alan

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:17pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have any of you tried adding a sounder module to your units they are not cheap so are thjey worth the extra bucks. 
Currently have a lowrance FS9 and put a TM260 on it have yet to try it out properly covid lockdowns.  Was looking at upgrading to a  Simrad unit, thought I would give the lowrance unit a try first.  Want to do some deep drops 600m. Can reecommend the GT 51 transducer would read the bottom to 350m on a 500w Garmin Echo map. Would be better on a more powerful unit.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:31pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You should be able to see the fishes eyeballs at 500m with that TM 260.
A 1kW 50/200.
They only claim 500m, but that must be waaay short of the mark. I can get to 600m on my 600w P66. 
You would have to get 800m+ on that, and good fish sign between 5-600.
You might need to add some more line to the reel :-)
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 6:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Im really keen to get out there well some where deeper than Lake karapiro. Dam covid now I cant even go to the lake. Have a new boat, motor and sounder to play with. Was wondering about the sounder modules, how much extra performance I can get out of it if I was to get one.   Lowrance and Simrad gear work togeather.
How much better is the Simrad gear over the lowrance as its nearly double the price.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 6:59pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You are in L3, right?
Akl can go fishing in L3.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:31pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

think Aucks is in 2.5 level or level 3 with benefits. Northland aren’t allowed to boat fish like Hamilton. Re sounder and transducer Muzz. Alan L and I are keeping the costs down with a capable solution. I have an existing head unit and just need a grunty transducer for under $300 and it will have bottom lock equivalent to a $2.  -$3k set up. Now more about your new boat? You put it up on what’s your rig thread? What ever you had before got you through the bars at Kawhia and rags so must have been a goodie. This new rig must be next level! 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

You are in L3, right?
Akl can go fishing in L3.
Alan
Yes L3 in Cambridge, but not allowed picnics or boating been out to the lake k and gates are locked, tried a couple of other places signs up and ramps taped off. Auckland is special they have more covid cases. None in the Waikato today, I can tell you there is some really pissed off fisherman in the Waikato as the weather is looking very good for the next couple of days.  Govt doing there best to get everyone Jabbed before the great Exodus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:20pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

think Aucks is in 2.5 level or level 3 with benefits. Northland aren’t allowed to boat fish like Hamilton. Re sounder and transducer Muzz. Alan L and I are keeping the costs down with a capable solution. I have an existing head unit and just need a grunty transducer for under $300 and it will have bottom lock equivalent to a $2.  -$3k set up. Now more about your new boat? You put it up on what’s your rig thread? What ever you had before got you through the bars at Kawhia and rags so must have been a goodie. This new rig must be next level! 
Yeah will put it up when I work out how to. Hamilton is not allowed to boat fish either, I can tell you this there a lot of angry fisherman out there the weather for the next 2 days is perfect for a West coast mission.   Never ventured over the West coast bars as was so easy to Lauch at Manu bay in the 5.5. As for the transducer thought I would get shop to change it to 1kw save me a job as I found out the unit could run one but how good time will tell. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:11am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Muzz, try your 260 first on the Elite. Given Alan's results you may be pleasantly surprised even though the FS is 600w. Essentially you have put a lot better ears into the system.

The Lowrance HDS (not Elite) and Simrad sounders are the same, the Simard is a little more customizable.

The elite series (the occasional model expected) doesn't network that well. It won't share GPS marks between units.
Maybe you could consider the S2009, it's a 1kw sounder only, if the FS isn't satisfactory and use the FS as a chartplotter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:42am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Your right there Muzz,,, boats all ready, weather perfect, we have no new cases and there were only two, my mates going out from Akl, they have lots of cases and out of control but can still go fishing, toAngrytally nuts!!!
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 11:59am
Platinum
Platinum

Yes could be a good option the S2009  still wondering about the sounder module but alot dearer than the S2009.
Just did a search on FS 9
Buy the Lowrance Elite FS9” Combo Including Active Imaging 3-in-1 Transducer and CMAP online - BCF is Australias leading ... Power Output, Max 1 kW RMS.
Power Output: Max 1 kW RMS
Transducer Type: Single 9-pin Connection; 
Thanks for the reply 
kimber7wsm

Page  <1 345