Need to bite the bullet and go deep for fishfinder

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 5:28pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah - you really need BL function. If it doesn't - you can always add the P66 and see how it works - with a view to maybe wanting to change it. The resolution and detail on BL are vastly better than whole column view in deep water. In the screen pic I posted for the HDS you will see a GPS split (half screen) and the sonar other half. The one bugbear I have with the HDS is you don't seem to have the option of solely BL. It always gives you split of both. I am only interested in the bottom 30m. You just have to live with that.
On my little garmin, at 300m, I don't see any fish sign on normal sonar at 50kHz. Go to BL and I can see individual fish pings. Comes back as raw sonar data, but I can interpret it enough.
With your Hummin bird you may have the option of adding the P66 to what you already have - may have a different plug socket already there to take traditional sonar. In which case it will just be a screen menu change to flick from one to the other. But I find the P66 200kHz beam in <100m excellent for finding fish and describing bottom - soft/hard.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:56pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes bottom lock capable but says sonar zoom display only. Not quite sure what that means. Yes the P66 I need a 9pin plug but struggling to find that for sale. Marine deals has everything else but… I’ll keep on it. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:03pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought the P58 and P66 were the same insides just for different make head units. Might be wrong. Must try mine on Bottom lock never done that so be interesting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Krow - you will see a difference - by some factors. Yes the full screen still shows you stuff but you get 2-3 x the detail on BL. Stuff you could miss on full screen you will clearly see on BL. If the screen is full of fish, maybe not much difference. But if you are scratching around and picking up small numbers or the odd fish, BL will find them.
Let us know next time. You are missing out on something here. Especially if they are right on the bottom.
Pity that pic I posted didn't actually have fish on it. At 480m we were drifting for swords, finished our bottom fish at 350. It would have shown the difference in the two columns.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:24pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

... yes bottom lock capable but says sonar zoom display only ...

Bottom lock and zoom display are very different things.  Zoom display will following the bottom up and down where Bottom lock display always shows the bottom as flat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:45pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If the weather gods are willing I may be able to show you the difference tomorrow. The screen on my Garmin isn't flash, but I am hoping for some bottom fishing between 175-200m.
Hopefully I can show you a pic of BL and no BL.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 10:18pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here you go RD.  I got these off the internet.  Top pic is Bottom zoom, lower pic is Bottom lock.  The user in the Bottom lock pic has set the BL function to display only the area from the bottom to 1.5m above the bottom. 

Hopefully AlanL can provide some fresh fishy pics in a day or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:15am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes bottom lock capable but says sonar zoom display only. Not quite sure what that means. Yes the P66 I need a 9pin plug but struggling to find that for sale. Marine deals has everything else but… I’ll keep on it. 

Ebay has one listed...

If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:05pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Go to marine deal in the states they have a load of trans and cheap.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:20pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

always nervous buying larger ticket items overseas. If it’s wrong or issue your on your own. But I have successfully in the past…I got told to contact BLA NZ as they import hummingbird and Airmar to double check 9 pin plug is the right one and compatibility. Unfortunately sales guy not got back to me yet… 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 8:53pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've bought lots of stuff o/seas. Incl the present Garmin. Came from the US. No issues. Just make sure you are ordering the right bit.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:09am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes indeed Alan L. I’m glad I tracked down the BLA rep and didn’t just buy the 9 pin plug. Apparently hummingbird has 2 9pin plug options a helix and solex phew… the helix is the updated head unit from mine so has the same plug. Fish city Albany said they had a 9pin when I did a ring around yesterday so will check which it is. If not it will have to be purchased overseas with a delivery up to early December.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:20am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes indeed Alan L. I’m glad I tracked down the BLA rep and didn’t just buy the 9 pin plug. Apparently hummingbird has 2 9pin plug options a helix and solex phew… the helix is the updated head unit from mine so has the same plug. Fish city Albany said they had a 9pin when I did a ring around yesterday so will check which it is. If not it will have to be purchased overseas with a delivery up to early December.

Good oneThumbs Up
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 1:41pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ok back to drawing board. I asked fish city to try the P66 plug on the display hummingbird s and it wouldn’t fit helix or solex…. It’s a strange plug on the hummingbird it’s multi connections in a row on one plug. Google say bay marine lectrical department have some nouse so waiting on a return call from them…the latest hummingbird helix comes with a 1kw P66 so it should be possible….
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:18pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

RD - the P66 probably comes via a variety of plugs. I got one for Lowrance - but that is bound to not fit other head units.
Did you try the Airmar website and the transducer chart?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm, just tried the Airmar site. They don't list Humminbird. Odd.
But they do list the type of connector for each head unit option. If you knew what type (model #) connector you have on the Humminbird - you could see if any of the options match.
Maybe if you googled some specs on your Humminbird - or contact a Humminbird agent and see if they can give the details for your connector.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:42pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/transducers/xnt-9-db-74-t-20050-transom-dualbeam-transducer

This trans is compatible with some of the 800 series.
And it looks like you have BL function too.
What number is your series?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:27pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow this has become a full on global research mission. What I have found thus far. Hummingbird NZ (BLA) don’t have technical knowledge on what plug is required it seems they say a helix or solix. I called hummingbird Australia (BLA) they were lost but came up with an option. They have said get a standard P66 then buy a mix and match connection that is made for hummingbird and gave me the product number. I researched further online and found there are two P66 cables for hummingbird helix and the one they gave me was for a 1KW 9pin plug. But my head unit only goes to 600w so dug further and found a 600w (in the Netherlands) that requires a 5 pin plug which is the first I have heard of a 5pin plug after talking to all the dealers techs, suppliers etc. I’m thinking if there is a 5 pin mix and match plug there must be a hummingbird 600w standard, p66 as they seem to have many plugs on their transducer units. I’ll keep researching. I am becoming the expert in Austrilasia on this topic. I maybe the first to do this in the Southern Hemisphere 🧐😁
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:30pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan L serial# 131001030107
858CX HD DI
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:36pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - it is not simple sometimes - I am going thru the same thing trying to mix/match my 50/200 with the Echomap series. Waiting for a guy to tell me about the pin compatibility on the back of the Echomap.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <1 2345>