Need to bite the bullet and go deep for fishfinder

Page  <12345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:01pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Mr Moritz, I've been fishing over the area for about 15 years, but when googling I'm coming with rubbish information, would like the name of the barge, time, year ,circumstance of the event,  bla bla
ironically i live a stone trow away from this place ;) 

Btw. on the day was trying to catch a king, they love this place, the problem is they run to the concrete pylons 

Looking forward to see a nice pic/screenshot from your fish finder Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:24pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=RockCrashing]Thanks Mr Moritz, I've been fishing over the area for about 15 years, but when googling I'm coming with rubbish information, would like the name of the barge, time, year ,circumstance of the event,  bla bla
ironically i live a stone trow away from this place :)

Fishing mate told me about it 30 odd years ago. Trying to remember more of what he said. Barge may have been connected to the ammunition depot at Kauri Point. Secured or moored to wharf there broke loose and sank. Fishing mate died many years ago..If I remember more I will let you know..
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:48pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Photo of old ammo barge at Tauranga. May be similiar ex WW2 Got rusty and leaked, patched with concrete, but still leaked and sank.
During WW2 American ammo barges (two at least) supplied shells and ammo to naval ships anchored in harbour. Suspect they were standard steel barges modified. In use by NZ Navy after war, one being sold to company building Auckland harbour bridge where it was used in bridge's construction. This barge was taken to Tauranga when bridge was completed and is the one pictured above before removal for scrap. I guess shells etc are now supplied to Navy by road.

Looks a bit similiar to side scan image (maybe)
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 6:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK - so I have been doing a bit more digging - to try and solve my own problem - which is pretty much parallel to RDs.
I have a little Garmin MAP system which served me well and finds fish at 3-400m no problem and tracks bottom on the plane til it can no longer see bottom (5-600m depending), and finds fish at 300m + on the plane.
I don't need anything more than this - but the screen has a terminal issue.
Now it turns out this is only a 500W system, and the trans is only 500W. It is not as good as the P66 in what it shows me , but it tells me enough - I have learned to interpret it. Older technology by at least 5 yrs.
This opens up some possibilities for a new head unit - I am not driving a 600W trans.
But what was interesting was the HDS Gen 3 specs list it as only 500W unit. And it definitely can drive the Airmar P66. Which is listed as a 600W trans.
Go figure. But the HDS/P66 performance over my Garmin Map, is far superior.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:25pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

OK - so I have been doing a bit more digging - to try and solve my own problem - which is pretty much parallel to RDs.
I have a little Garmin MAP system which served me well and finds fish at 3-400m no problem and tracks bottom on the plane til it can no longer see bottom (5-600m depending), and finds fish at 300m + on the plane.
I don't need anything more than this - but the screen has a terminal issue.
Now it turns out this is only a 500W system, and the trans is only 500W. It is not as good as the P66 in what it shows me , but it tells me enough - I have learned to interpret it. Older technology by at least 5 yrs.
This opens up some possibilities for a new head unit - I am not driving a 600W trans.
But what was interesting was the HDS Gen 3 specs list it as only 500W unit. And it definitely can drive the Airmar P66. Which is listed as a 600W trans.
Go figure. But the HDS/P66 performance over my Garmin Map, is far superior.
Regards
Alan

Yeah . Checked specs say it is 500 W. I saw a review which said 800 W but must have been a typo...
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 9:49pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So Alan L what head unit you think will suit the P66 or anyone else who has used. As far as I’m seeing this is a awesome 400-600m unit that is waaay under the 1kw trans cost. Awesome. I need to pull the trigger soon so keen to see this through to conclusion. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:09am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can only quote my experience - which was based on what others had previously posted here.
The Gen 3 HDS  does a good job with the P66. Everything you will need as far as fish finding capability.
But then someone else posted great results with their 600W unit of a different make.
Maybe make more enquiries down that track and make a call on which way you want to go.
You def do not need 1kw to do what you are after.
Regards
Alan
Edit - Jokers posting with his 600W Garmin. Not familiar with the transducer - so you may want to enquire. 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:03am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I posted pretty much the same query you have posted now - about 3-4 yrs ago.
There will be a lot of good practical experience info on that thread. I have tried searching for it, but can't pull it up. It only seems to be pulling recent postings up. Not sure if that is my bad with the search, or maybe the revised website. Maybe we can't access the older stuff.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:00pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes I settled n to read through all the old threads as I recalled some info filled ones but only get a handful come up when searched hence I had to ask again l yip will look at Jokers suggestion re Garmin. Also Furuno. Pretty much sold on the 600w tranny 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:24pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are you just getting recent threads - I just tried again, and only get recent 2021 threads.
I am wondering if we have lost access to the older stuff.
If you could find the original thread I had about 3-4 yrs ago, there is plenty in there for you to digest. Several people posted pics of what they were getting from their sounder. One guy with a P66 I think was getting 800m out of it.
But there were screen pics and details of their hardware.
The essence of all that boiled down to the choice I made to go HDS Gen 3/P66.
But there were various other options that seemed equally suitable. It may be that price finally swung it one way. Don't recall. maybe availability. Not sure. But the thread has lots of good info.
I will post (was about to anyway) on the site upgrade thread, and see if we have lost access to the older stuff.
Good luck.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 1:21pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Joker's sounder is a GT-51. You need to watch the transducers. It's not all power, frequency matters very much. Low frequency for penetration high frequency for detail. Some of the recreational transducers are fantastic for shallow waters but for deep fishing it's hard to beat a lower freg traditional from what I've read.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 2:03pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK RD, so I have just settled on what I am going to do to replace my little Garmin Map with the bad screen.
It has the 50/200 Garmin transducer, but I can't use this one - the connector pin is wrong. So I have to purchase another for about $150 (different connector pin). I can probably keep this as a spare and re wire it to the new connector if I had to.
I am getting the Echomap 75CV as a head unit. About $1400 I think. As far as I can see I cannot buy it without the associated Chirp transducer. Which is annoying as I don't need it. So it will stay in the box. But the new 50/200 will plug straight in - it can accept the traditional sonar.
That should get me back to finding fish in 3-400m for about $1600, and I have a Chirp transducer I don't want, and will have a spare 50/200 if I need it.
And I will have a touchscreen unit to replace the old push button Map.
It has bottom lock feature as well. The HDS Gen 3 does too. But whatever unit you go for - make sure it has Bottom Lock.
For example - if you went this way you could mount both transducers and flick from Chirp to the 50khz for deep fishing, and for normal fishing have the advantage of the Chirp.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:09am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that looks a good set up. My boat came with a hummingbird 9” 800 so if I can pimp that with a p66 that would be awesome. Just need to see if it’s compatible if anyone knows. Or how I could find that out? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:36am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

that looks a good set up. My boat came with a hummingbird 9” 800 so if I can pimp that with a p66 that would be awesome. Just need to see if it’s compatible if anyone knows. Or how I could find that out? Cheers

Marine Deals list the Airmar P66-DT-HB as being suitable for Hummingbird 800,900 and 1100 series....Thumbs Up
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:57am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Are you just getting recent threads - I just tried again, and only get recent 2021 threads.
I am wondering if we have lost access to the older stuff.
If you could find the original thread I had about 3-4 yrs ago, there is plenty in there for you to digest. Several people posted pics of what they were getting from their sounder. One guy with a P66 I think was getting 800m out of it.
But there were screen pics and details of their hardware.
The essence of all that boiled down to the choice I made to go HDS Gen 3/P66.
But there were various other options that seemed equally suitable. It may be that price finally swung it one way. Don't recall. maybe availability. Not sure. But the thread has lots of good info.
I will post (was about to anyway) on the site upgrade thread, and see if we have lost access to the older stuff.
Good luck.
Alan

Hi Alan..
Just been looking at Marine Deals Airmar Transducers for Lowrance HDS Gen3. They list:

P66  Good

TM 258 Better Twenty five times more detail at 50kHz

TM 260 Superb Fifty times more detail at 50kHz

For what ever that's worth...

(Guess what type transducer depends how big a screen on fish finder. Probably only really really big screens would need the fifty times more detail. Wouldn't see any difference on 7 inch..)

Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 1:27pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

excellent Mr Moritz that’s a great help I’ll check that site out !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 1:39pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

excellent Mr Moritz that’s a great help I’ll check that site out !

Glad I could help.Thumbs Up 

Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 2:32pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

RD - if you go to the Airmar website - they have list of compatible transducers, ie find the transducer and it will tell you what it can work with.
Just make sure you get the right pin connector - if you are keeping your Humminbird, then you need to make sure the transducer is available in a pin connector for the head unit. Eg 6 pin Humminbird connector, or whatever your sonar plugs in with.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 4:16pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Alan L. Great I can 100% confirm. Im not a hummingbird fan at the top end of Sounders but the screen is 9inch and the nag charts are good. It does have 3D Down view but I guess that won’t work with P66. But having to only spend $250 to get 300m plus strength that I’d have to spend big bucks on can only be a win. Now that extra cash I can get my underwater lights.😀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 4:42pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

... My boat came with a hummingbird 9” 800 ...

Does that have Bottom Lock function?
Page  <12345>