Need to bite the bullet and go deep for fishfinder

Page  <1234 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:52am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

RD - fyi have a read of the link below.
It is long however after reading it I'm sure you would agree the guy is very thorough. The original poster is a mate of mine.  I have fished from his boat on numerous occasions.  Yes his boat differs in that it is a 5.75m glass boat but the boat and motor weight is probably similar to your 645 Extreme.  It's clear that the problem he still has is caused by the transducers not being in clean water at speed.  34kts in the river and the screen pic is great.  Take it on the ocean though with a bit of slop and the screen clutters around 15knts.  This is a common problem, I've read it so many times.
Yes better results are achievable at speed.  Another mate had two different 7m glass boats both with twin 150s.  TM260 transducer placed between the motors in line with the keel and both had no issues at 25kts+.
I have the same issues on my 8m glass Cat.  TM258 transducer has no issues in flat water but in a sea of over 1m I have clutter over 12-15kts which was really frustrating when I was looking for new ground in the deep.       

This is the problem I have with the Airmar trans. It is 600W but bigger than my 600W Garmin. Two boats - identical hulls, different transducers. The small garmin will track bottom to around 500m on the plane and find fish at 300m on the plane. The Airmar looses bottom due to signal disturbance as I hit the plane - usually. More times than not. Following sea - it is fine. I take it that means there is too much sloshy water going under the hull - other than following sea, and the bigger transducer does not like it.
That is why I am in correspondence with Baymarine right now - trying to find a Garmin unit that will still run my small 600W transducer. It seems I have to buy a 1KW chirp unit and throw the associated transducer in the bin. And then get adaptor cables to wire my 600W unit to the head unit.
Nuts. I am looking to change to another brand if I can find suitable.
So I am on a parallel course to the OP.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:09am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

now that’s some interesting reading and I learnt a couple of things there thanks Alan L. Yes similar we have similar requirements. I’m keen to get it right first time and this trail and error and real experience is invaluable. Side scanning is another topic and I’m sure there is a few here who swear buy it but from the guys I go out with it, don’t know how to use or do doesn’t find it a game changing tool. Thinking I’ll pass that as a requirement. My current intention summary lowrance with a 600w transducer and spend the time to get a location that shows the bottom at any type of speed.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:46am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the Garmin 7412 and a 600W 3-in-1 GT51 transducer. I cant say enough about this unit and reads in moderate depths at all speeds. I have hit the bottom at 525m, Found and caught fish to 430M.
I originally meant to add a 1KW transducer later but 5+ years on I still have not done this.

Here is a shot at 369M where Puka, Bluenose, Bass & Gemfish are showing - all species caught.

1 meter Kingfish on "A" buoy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:08am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great another positive on a 600w transducer. I wouldn’t want more than that. Shame you didn’t include photo of gps location Joker that screen is loaded with fish 👍😅

Im heading 600w from feed back
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:28am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've added another photo showing a pack of good sized kingfish on side scan racing back to the safety of "A" buoy - the shadows can be seen on the left hand side scan green bit. The main body of the pack can be seen in mid-water on the black part of the side scan - this is what is casting the shadows.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:52am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that is a great image Joker.do you use side scan all the time?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 12:00pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My mates who have larger boats than me and myself have gone the Simrad way, mine a 12 inch with 1 kw transducer and his is a larger version. We have had great results and when I purchased mine with the boat 2.5 years ago it was well below the 5k mark. I think most of the mid to top brands are all good, I had purchased a Ray Marine when I had the old boat and had a lot of issues even after it had been sent back for warranty repairs but I'm sure their new models are good too.

Our Simrad is brilliant would recommend to any one
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:21pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Usually as I like to verify what I'm seeing on the conventional sounder with the downscan - it gives a different view that can be helpful in separating the big fish from the baitfish.

The sidescan takes a lot of learning to interpret what's going on particularly in Auckland's rocky bottom but I've had good results whilst game fishing in locating bait schools.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:22pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Usually I have all views showing as I like to verify between views. The 12" screen has plenty of real estate to do this.

The side scan is the least useful but it does have its moments.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:27pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On the more recent models with the faster processors a real game changers is the G3 3d overlay or the CMAP reveal - you can use your GPS chart to position fir spectacular drifts.

check out this view of Flat Rock

https://www.google.com/search?q=cmap+reveal+flat+rock&rlz=1C1PRFI_enNZ894NZ894&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwie9pLEqbLzAhVizTgGHbCvBFQQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1536&bih=722&dpr=1.25#imgrc=DKp5sjQtszrzDM
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:13pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

My mates who have larger boats than me and myself have gone the Simrad way, mine a 12 inch with 1 kw transducer and his is a larger version. We have had great results and when I purchased mine with the boat 2.5 years ago it was well below the 5k mark. I think most of the mid to top brands are all good, I had purchased a Ray Marine when I had the old boat and had a lot of issues even after it had been sent back for warranty repairs but I'm sure their new models are good too.

Our Simrad is brilliant would recommend to any one
I too have moved from Lowrance tm258 to Nss12 evo3s and TM260 to hopefully see the fish in deep water better. This setup was over the 5k budget on this thread though. Yet to test in the deep but so far no issues running over fish at 40m and 20knots. 
Alan I don't believe the size of the transducer makes it perform worse at speed. It's all about the setup. I get great clarity all speeds if it's calm enough. I also run 2x transducers one is a P58 converted to lowrance plug and yes works way better than it should. Tracks bottom to at least 250m at 20 knots. I haven't established it's true limits. If it was me Alan I would first replace the crook head unit and convert the existing transducer to that or buy the conversion cable and see how it works before splashing out on a new and possibly worse transducer. 

Back to Scott's start question. Yes you will likely need a 1kw transducer to see fish at 250m+ unless you are lucky enough to get a good 600w and set it up perfectly like Alan and myself. 
Not all 1k transducers are equal. 
Some smaller head units will still run the 1k ok. I say this because the bigger screen you go the greater the cost. Just because they can. It's quite likely all size models run the same software. It might be possible to stay under the 5k budget. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:50pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[/QUOTE]  
Alan I don't believe the size of the transducer makes it perform worse at speed. It's all about the setup. I get great clarity all speeds if it's calm enough. I also run 2x transducers one is a P58 converted to lowrance plug and yes works way better than it should. Tracks bottom to at least 250m at 20 knots. I haven't established it's true limits. If it was me Alan I would first replace the crook head unit and convert the existing transducer to that or buy the conversion cable and see how it works before splashing out on a new and possibly worse transducer. 
[/QUOTE]
My hulls are the same, but the P66 is about 3 x the size of the garmin trans - both 600W 50/200. I have set the P66 about 30mm below the hull and no difference. I beach launch - anything more will wipe it out. The garmin sits flush or 10mm below. Tracks bottom at planning speed to near max depth. Found fish today at 350m on the plane. My P66 does not come close. I can only figure it is the size of the unit. Nothing else makes sense. 
I am trying to replace the old Garmin head unit. But having trouble finding something that will run a single band 600W 50/200 trans.
All the Garmin Echomap series are 500W. Then you run into 1 Kw units. Life used to be simple.
You can def find fish at 3-400m without spending more than $2k.
The most I spent was about $1600 on my HDS/P66 about 3 yrs ago. The Garmin was about $600 8-9 yrs ago. But these days it seems to be getting a lot harder to do that. nuts.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 12:01pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looking at some recent post/topics noticed that most of images/screenshots are still taken by phone os some other camera device. Would like to bring to your attention that most of your units can capture image/screenshot on your fish finder.
No more reflections on the screen, sunspots, fishy fingerprints, water droplets or condersation ... and its instantaneous;)   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 1:00pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

Looking at some recent post/topics noticed that most of images/screenshots are still taken by phone os some other camera device. Would like to bring to your attention that most of your units can capture image/screenshot on your fish finder.
No more reflections on the screen, sunspots, fishy fingerprints, water droplets or condersation ... and its instantaneous;)   

How ?
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 1:55pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

How ?
Hi Mr Moritz, have a look at this video, he is very articulate and informative.
I belive this is your unit/ fish finder.
If you have any questions i would try to guide you through the operator manual.
Btw. Furuno, Garmin, Hummingbird, Simrad/Lowrance ... all have this future for ages ;) 

Methinks the difference is clear :)

P.s. The last down scan image is from Chelsea Sugar Factory, can anyone share some more info on this wreck ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 2:50pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m still not sure. Does screen capture work on all screens? Can you try the one with your GPS Marks/waypoints screen to be sure. Thanks …😬
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 2:59pm
Gold
Gold

I’m still not sure. Does screen capture work on all screens? Can you try the one with your GPS Marks/waypoints screen to be sure. Thanks …😬
I'm not sure i understandyour question, anyway, you can hide the GPS location, it is in the setting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 3:26pm
Gold
Gold

ohhh, i c, you are after the x spots, are you!!!
Wink LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:01pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

How ?
Hi Mr Moritz, have a look at this video, he is very articulate and informative.
I belive this is your unit/ fish finder.
If you have any questions i would try to guide you through the operator manual.
Btw. Furuno, Garmin, Hummingbird, Simrad/Lowrance ... all have this future for ages ;) 

Methinks the difference is clear :)

P.s. The last down scan image is from Chelsea Sugar Factory, can anyone share some more info on this wreck ?

Got it. Thanks for that will give it a try next time I am out..Thumbs Up
Re the wreck. I was told many years ago about a barge which sunk between Kauri Point and Chelsea. May be it...  
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:22pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Red circle is where I was told barge sunk...
Henry Ford
Page  <1234 5>