New boat advice - manukau

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theaccidentalfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New boat advice - manukau
    Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 12:22pm
theaccidentalfisherman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, I have recently moved to a property that backs onto the Manukau harbour. Though no boat access sadly. All the ramps near me are very tidal, think French bay, Laingholm (30 mins of high tide!), Armour bay, Cornwallis etc.  So a light boat that can be dragged, wheeled or even carried back to the trailer if needed (is this a thing people do?) would be ideal. Plus cost, new hobby etc are a factor. Just something to get out and about on a good day and to explore the harbour. Aware of the manukau and its reputation, current channels etc. And wouldn't be venturing anywhere near the bar. But would a mac 360 (too heavy?) or a tinny be the best bet? Any thoughts, advice (HP size), preferred launch areas or tricks to make the most of the tide etc would be appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 1:22pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fish in the Manukau a lot in a 5.6m glass boat. Cornwallis is an easy launch other than about 2 hrs either side of low. The beach is hard and is easy to launch a small boat with a 2wd. Any size boat is ok, you don’t need to go far to catch a few.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 2:27pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have you considered a kayak? Fishing from your own backyard sounds pretty cool. At the other end of the price spectrum, what about a Sealegs boat? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A 15ft tinny with 50hp is a pretty good option. What sort of towing wagon do you have? A regular contributor 'MacSkipper' fishes over that way from a Mac boat.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:42pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

A 15ft tinny with 50hp is a pretty good option. What sort of towing wagon do you have? A regular contributor 'MacSkipper' fishes over that way from a Mac boat.

He’s got a tinny now .
I think 5.5m is as big as you’d want to go for harbour fishing , anything up to that size as long as you pick your days .
I have a f14 frewza which is great in the harbour .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 5:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah he has but he knows how Mac's go. 

I have a 5.5m Sea Boss with a 90 E-Tec that's so good for the harbour and gets me over the bar on the good days. You will need a 4x4 to launch one at Cornwallis or Little Huia though
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 5:25pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I see why you mention Macskipper and the macs now I’ve re read the original post . I’m sure John will be along soon , but he’s had a couple of Macs including the 360 .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:13am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a Mac 420 used to fish over bar - found it to heavy (my wife could not hold at ramp comfortably) for harbour, went to Mac 360 for harbour only fishing (found crossing bar great but a lot of times to rough or risky to go out, and wife wanted to see harbour, she got sea sick over bar so not a goer for her).  Mac 360 to small for fishing 2 or more than 2 for me.
Now have a 2006 Fyran 440 with 40hp which I like for harbour fishing 2, 3 at a stretch, and odd harbour outing go for a swim other side with up to 4.  
Cornwallis can use most times except 2 hrs each side of big low tide though it varies depending on weather sometimes it gets soft at mid tides some seasons.   I launch at little huia anytime.  Try and decide what uses you want from boat before getting one, they are expensive to run so if solo fishing a Kayak is a great option as just getting out a bit further yeilds better catches than fishing from shore.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 9:00am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go for a walk down to Jenkins bay, its pretty solid pack ground there... might be what you are looking for
The locals launch their small boats (under 5m) there most tides that I have seen. The car park is not that big, but is plenty wide enough to swing your trailer around easily
We head out there in our kayaks to fish the Te Tau banks, just 1km offshore... careful of that SW breeze that kicks in on the outgoing change of tide = unpleasant short chop
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 9:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chances are you will think about the bar on flat days as an option.. better to think now than later.
 Went over the bar in Johns mac 420....was fine, and not the flatest of days.. and good skipper.. thu if 1st time in a boat that sits so low would be bit feel intimating..

5.5m plus is a good size...think about it, be organised its still a easy solo opinion...Im doing so on a 5.5m commander.
 And Even when launch/ most of retirive with crew , still stick to my solo routine... its easier.

Also well to max manufactures  power even in the harbour.. tide changes, breeze increases or changes, wind against tide and can go from mirror flat to white caps very quick....
 Well powered gets you home far more easily, more comfortable, little quicker and far less fuel.

And if thinking about the bar as a future possibility... be well powered.... min you can 'get away' with those occasional bit unexpected hairy times that pop up now and then.

And same applies on the bar... even more so.
min or under that wave climbs up in front.. you cant (never) turn, and cant get to it quick, recover and the next big one.. they dont come in singles.
Or coming in , what seemed a good weight going out, fill that  bin..say 3 guys close to limit ,  mostly big snapps...and that wave behind starts to catch up on your stern and cant pull away...and doesnt need to be a big one.
A general modern 5.5m cabin all up weighs in around the 1200 + kg  well powered is getting up to 140 hp... ok power at min 115hp.... I run 150.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theaccidentalfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:06pm
Bronze
Bronze

I have an older x-trail (4x4 + low range) so not entirely unreasonable. Should be able to launch at cornwallis. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theaccidentalfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Have you considered a kayak? Fishing from your own backyard sounds pretty cool. At the other end of the price spectrum, what about a Sealegs boat? 

haha, yes! I started with the idea of a kayak, then went in a big circle of feeling a boat would be more enjoyable longer term, possibly more sociable as allows partner / mates to come out too. Back to, can drop 2.5-3k and buy a full kayak and gear off trademe. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theaccidentalfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:20pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Go for a walk down to Jenkins bay, its pretty solid pack ground there... might be what you are looking for
The locals launch their small boats (under 5m) there most tides that I have seen. The car park is not that big, but is plenty wide enough to swing your trailer around easily
We head out there in our kayaks to fish the Te Tau banks, just 1km offshore... careful of that SW breeze that kicks in on the outgoing change of tide = unpleasant short chop

Thanks for this, I'll take a wander over and take a look. What kayaks do you use. Looking a viking pro fish as a 'good for now' option. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theaccidentalfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:23pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Well, I mean I've looked at them, and certainly make sense with the beaches around here. But well beyond my means atm. I'm just getting started so more in the kayak, or maybe a small boat plus making friends with any one with a boat to learn a thing or two.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 2:48pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ve got a 3.7 quintrex dart with a 15hp on the back, not a bad little fishing machine,

You could also look at a 3.5 mtr rib, stable and easy to use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:34pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would look at the FC range of boats in the 4.3, 4.35, 5.00 & 5.35 with the special low rider trailer.

I has the FC500 C/C that was a breeze to launch and retrieve even at low tides I would be on the water at least an hour before the regular boats had enough water.
You can just about pull these boats all the way onto the low rider trailer and they are very stable and dry boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rumblefish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 6:02pm
Rumblefish1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a fc 430 on a low rider trailer tiller steer model I can launch and retrive at Jenkins Bay and cornwallis and little huia on low tide. On my own