What would they say in NZ?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pbn_pro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 12:07pm
pbn_pro View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I don't know actually what are you doing here but this picture is such an amazing picture for a fishing man

this is my fishing relevent website: 

http://https://brokescholar.com/coupon-codes/bass-pro-shops - Bass Pro Shops Coupons & Promo Codes

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pbn_pro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 12:11pm
pbn_pro View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I don't know actually what are you doing here but this picture is such an amazing picture for a fishing man

this is my fisshing website:https://brokescholar.com/coupon-codes/bass-pro-shops

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 2:35pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alan, you have probably seen the image below.

This chart would supports the view that the 366, 393 and 457 mark west of 366 are incorrect.  I believe I know why.  Each one is a typo, and missing a 1 digit in front of each.  The marks should be 1366, 1393 and 1457 respectively.
The rise SE of the 366 mark doesn't show either.  I can't explain this anomaly.  This chart is in pdf format.  If I can locate this in GeoTIFF format rather than a pdf it would be very helpful.

Edit: have a look here Alan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 3:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I actually think NZ is pretty slack when it comes to boating compared to similar developed countries. I'm not advocating for more rules and regulations though as the worst offenders would ignore them anyway!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 3:02pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow - that is better bathymetry - where did you pull that stuff from.
Your explanation makes great sense. My sounder can find 5-600m bottom. I have spent hundreds of hrs over those areas and never found bottom. It should be able to find it by now if it existed in less than 500m.
So we are just 1000m short. Minor detail.
I don't have the bathy charts in my sounder - I just use the paper chart for spotting areas, and transfer the co-ords to my GPS.
Well it is quite nice they deleted the bogus rise on your chart. That would have saved me lots of hrs looking for a lump that never existed.
My chart is dated 2016, but somewhere I read the data is a compilation of surveys dating back to the 50s.
Yours seems to have more recent survey data.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Alan click on the link at the bottom of my earlier email.  This opens a 66 page report.  The image I posted above is a segment of a drawing contained in that report.  I'm making enquiries about being able to download the drawing in its native format ASCll.
The survey information was collected in 2003.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 5:08pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

I actually think NZ is pretty slack when it comes to boating compared to similar developed countries. I'm not advocating for more rules and regulations though as the worst offenders would ignore them anyway!

MB - I agree.
But I wonder if more rules would change much? Basically the bad accidents seem to involve a large dose of stupidity.
Which gets me back to the thread of my original post. If they HAD to be more responsible - ie not expect others to come rushing to their rescue, would they be so stupid? 
In don't know whether going 20 k out in a small tin boat is stupid or not. Here (Vtu) I would tend to call it the norm. And there seem to be very few incidents that occur. I suspect there is less of the stupidity gene circulating. Give a bloke in NZ better gear and a dose of stupidity and see what happens. I am wondering if the difference is a mindset/attitude thing.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 5:10pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Alan click on the link at the bottom of my earlier email.  This opens a 66 page report.  The image I posted above is a segment of a drawing contained in that report.  I'm making enquiries about being able to download the drawing in its native format ASCll.
The survey information was collected in 2003.

OK - will do. Thx.
I wonder why that updated 2003 data does not show on my 2016 chart. Or do they just print the same chart for decades and put a new date stamp from time to time?
I bought that chart about 5 yrs ago. So believed I was getting the latest data.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:13pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

... I wonder why that updated 2003 data does not show on my 2016 chart. Or do they just print the same chart for decades and put a new date stamp from time to time?
I bought that chart about 5 yrs ago. So believed I was getting the latest data ...

I can't comment with any first hand knowledge however I suspect there is not always a sharing of information arrangement between the chart producers, the mapping companies such as Navionics and C Maps, Garmin etc and the organisation that actually paid for and undertook the surveys. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:18pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That sounds right. Some have access to some info, others don't. Copyright would nail them I guess.
They have Copyright printed on the chart. But I doubt anyone would want to copy it. May as well get the kids to draw one at kindy.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Alan, the link below shows the Chart Area 2 only and not the whole report.

You can either download the pdf or open it by clicking on pdf.  After numerous emails returned undelivered I have managed to make contact with them.  The next step is to see if they can arrange for me to download the chart in its native format.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:37pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow - that works great. THANKS.
Now I really do have something to study, that may lead me on a few less goose chases.
Interesting bottom eh?
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 9:20pm
Platinum
Platinum

It is indeed an interesting area.  A few comments.
Have a look at pg16 of the report, Figure 11.  This image is a view in the files native format.  You can see there are two distinct holes or rises close together about 2kms west of Moso Island.  Depth here probably around 150m.  Then there is more WSW of these on the far west edge of the image. These are visible again on the 3D map, Figure 12 and again on Figure 13 where slopes are shown in green.  
There's an interesting drop off / ledge just south of Lelepa Island.  Looks as if if could be around 200m.  There's heaps more.  If I can get this file in its native format you will be gob-smacked with what I find. 
What depth range do you usually deep drop in Alan?    

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:04am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am deep dropping anywhere from 2-350m.
One area is W of the top of Nguna. The other is SW of Lelepa - the one you mention. There is lots of contour to work.  The rise W of Moso I fish also. 
The guys have just started dropping for squid at 500m. Pulling beasts up as big as 17kg.
They are talking swords next. 130lb braid on elec reels.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12