Tyrnos

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyrnos
    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:45pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi, is anyone using these for a sort of multi use reel, I am thinking of buying one for this purpose but would like some user feedback. Thinking it might be useful as a trolling, deep live baiting, puka type type thing. If you have one, what size and what do you use it for. Probably don't need it but bugga it I been locked in for a long time and feel a bit of tas coming on. Also what to spool it with
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:21pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good reels , got a 229 kg blue on 24 kg on a 50, used to own a 30 single speeder marlin capable on 15 kg, great for tuna and kings. 20 and 30 with braid you could basically catch anything on, great drags and solid alloy frames.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:56pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm a bit reserved on them.
I've bent the foot on one of mine at one time with what must have been too much drag on the kingy Embarrassed So I think the foot is a weak point in them. I have two and used them for Puka and Kings. Did the job ok but now unused for some years. Electric for the Puka and I don't chase kings anymore. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:12pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK cheers guys, Krow what size reel?
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:17pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

I'm a bit reserved on them.
I've bent the foot on one of mine at one time with what must have been too much drag on the kingy Embarrassed So I think the foot is a weak point in them ... 

Your comment would suggest to me that you weren't using the rod clamps which come with the Tyrnos reels?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:58pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a Tyrnos 20 2speed and a 30 2speed, both spooled with 70lb braid (breaks at about 90lb). The 20 holds about 650m of this braid and the 30 about 800m of braid. I use them for deepwater chasing bluenose etc and for live baiting for kingy's, great reels with really smooth drags. Never had any problems with them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:35am
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I run 30s and 50 2 speeds. I'm  fanboy so take what I say as that.

Great drags and can get high tonnage, robust and take anything you throw at them.

They did switch manufacture to Malaysia (?) IIRC and there were a few issues. But mainly around removing screws etc and making sure they had protection so didn't corrode in placewhen you wanted to service.

Easy to maintain and cant beat the grandad gear when requiredTongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:47pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

OK cheers guys, Krow what size reel?
30 with clamp. Fishing 37kg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 11:33pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We have a couple of 50s and a 30 all spooled with braid.
We use them for bottom bouncing as well as trolling.

The 50s have pulled in 2 beakies and quite a few deep water fish.

I am generally not a shimano fanboy but after having upgrading the reel drags with carbontex drags the reels have served us well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 11:47pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[/QUOTE]30 with clamp. Fishing 37kg
[/QUOTE]
Interesting, did the clamp fail?