Toa the Orca

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toa the Orca
    Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 4:27pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 4:51pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They spent $130K needlessly trying to keep 1 animal alive.

Un-*u*k*n*-believable.

Just how stupid are these nitwits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 4:54pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very stupid! With the amount of public money that is wasted, I'm surprised we still have a functioning country.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:46pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just wait MB. Shouldn't be too long.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:07pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was rooting for the little bugger. But when I hard the parents took off I thought it may have been a lost cause. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I was rooting for the little bugger. But when I hard the parents took off I thought it may have been a lost cause. 

The maternal instinct is very strong in most animals and humans. We don't tolerate women abandoning their kids (for some odd reason it seems ok for men) but most animals don't make those decisions lightly. Toa wasn't ever going to survive is my opinion. Mum probably abandoned him to give him a chance on his own without being a threat to the pod. 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:48pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I’m no expert by any means, but they should have just lobbed him back in the ocean at the next high tide and wished him luck. They probably caused him way more suffering the way they did it. Nature is cruel. I know there are times to intervene but it did seem obvious this was going to go tits up.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:59pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - something like that was prob sensible.
But how would that look on TV to a nation of wokesters sipping their lattes?
Someone would risk loosing votes.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

But orca are cute, right up to the point where they crunch up fur seals after tossing them up into there air. Nature has a way of dealing with things
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DIY DIY wrote:

I’m no expert by any means, but they should have just lobbed him back in the ocean at the next high tide and wished him luck. They probably caused him way more suffering the way they did it. Nature is cruel. I know there are times to intervene but it did seem obvious this was going to go tits up.

A kayaker did exactly that a few years ago up the Coro.
From memory he said it seemed to jump for joy then went rushing up the coast. That would have been the best thing here too.

I do worry when experts say this was the best thing to do especially when it clearly was a natural causation of it being in trouble in the first place.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Originally posted by DIY DIY wrote:

A kayaker did exactly that a few years ago up the Coro.
From memory he said it seemed to jump for joy then went rushing up the coast. That would have been the best thing here too.

I do worry when experts say this was the best thing to do especially when it clearly was a natural causation of it being in trouble in the first place.

Yes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:43am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's unfortunately the problem these days ...... just so many self styled experts in so many fields but not an ounce of common sense in amongst it all.

I'll leave it at that.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:06am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have never found animal activists/lovers to be terribly logical or objective. This is just another indicator. while we affect their ( animals) environments, and it is good to be careful and thoughtful towards them, i dont place their importance ahead of human life.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:18am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I always place selected animals above human life. Humans are filthy roaches destroying the planet that supports them and everything else.

Anyways back to orca. Mother didn’t abandon. Pup was thrown up by a wave into a rock pool. Communication stopped instantly. I questioned why not put straight back into sea and let nature do what it does. Apparently if the weather was good enough to find the pod the success rate of inclusion as very high. Mother’s lactate for 30 days of baby death. Baby lasted 15 days.and amazingly if not it’s mother another female will start to lactate and adopt baby as documented in the past. There are only 200 orca left in NZ and these are split into two tribes that don’t mix.how much we spend on a serial killer in jail annually doing his life term? I know where my money would go if I had a choice.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 10:31am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Reel Deal - i couldn't agree more.