Longline Hook

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karvinc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longline Hook
    Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:29am
Karvinc. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, they are many brands of longline hooks out there and would like to know which brand is the sharpest that you would recommend?
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishfeeder2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:29am
fishfeeder2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No hook is going to stay sharp for a long time when its being dragged across the sand or rocks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:48am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 1:49pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mustad Tainawa hooks are great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 3:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have used several brands, even normal  hooks I dont use in the back of the draw... these include high end hooks like Owner and Gamaishu (?)

As to stay sharp.. nar.. after couple uses get out the diamond file and give a bit of a brush up night before.
 Loosed the edge is as mentioned above , dragging in sand, catching on foul etc And corrosion... Even if you wash the traces then spray with inox , or lanacoate , crc etc , that corrosion still get to them..

The big thing I notice is the needle tips break off when give a little brush with the diamond file... So even if sharp, out there the tip breaking off is not good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 5:56pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don’t longline fish and don’t use circle hooks but I do use these for gurnard. Got the flasher material already to go.

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/longline-flasher-hooks

But for fishing hooks and jigheads I like mustard nice and sharp and never had any problems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:48pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you read my recent thread on how to tie fixed length traces, it also mentions how to add flasher when putting tieing the hook onto the trace.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 7:08pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

If you read my recent thread on how to tie fixed length traces, it also mentions how to add flasher when putting tieing the hook onto the trace.
I did see that same way some of the pre-tied flasher rigs are made.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 8:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No they are not pre tied flasher..
using a snell/ no knot typeknot on the hooks.
 Simply take your bit of flasher or $2 shop feathers (tips best)
 Hold the flasher against the back of the hook shaft, and tie he knot around flasher and hook.
Never had a knot fail on stray lines, long line type traces, ledgers off the west coast...

Got a pic some where here  of a selection of stray lines I tied ..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karvinc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 8:53am
Karvinc. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you all for your insights and recommendations.
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:05am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=Steps]
No they are not pre tied flasher..
using a snell/ no knot typeknot on the hooks.
 Simply take your bit of flasher or $2 shop feathers (tips best)
 Hold the flasher against the back of the hook shaft, and tie he knot around flasher and hook.
Never had a knot fail on stray lines, long line type traces, ledgers off the west coast...

Got a pic some where here  of a selection of stray lines I tied ..

I wasn’t saying yours were pre-tied I was just saying thats the same way Black Magic and other manufacturers tie theirs, a good way to tie them if your using a longline type knot. I will try some today
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 3:41pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snell  variations of it, no knot and variations of it are not just long line hook knots.. pretty much the top go to knots for all fishing.

Oh when tieing std J  and recurve type including long line hooks, note the J hook sits straight on the end of the trace and the re-curves bend back as if just look wrong.
 Dont look to close at the J and re curves above.. some are not correct....

So when tieing them, the mainline goes thru the eye 1 way, for one the other for the other...
 And a real common issue lot ppl dont realise, include experienced fishermen, is do not have the main line tension bit go around the side of the eye of the hook where the end of the shaft joins back on the side of the shaft..
 Go around the side 'smooth' side of the base of the eye.

Also inspect that gap at the base of the eye, it sits hard in , and square... not doing so and not knowing the above can be very frustrating when you know you are tieing good knots yet the seem to fail.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 5:33pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tied up a couple this afternoon, bit messy to start with just trying to get things lined up, but yep actually worked ok, I used the longline knot. But easy enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1/I take the tag down thru the eye, which way taking into account if recurve or J hook and which side the eye meets the shank....down  to around the bottom of the bend.
2/ Pick up the pre prepared pile flasher/ feathers.
3/Put the cut end of the flasher approx level with the top of the eye, on the back of the shank.
4/Hold the tag and flasher then wind the top 'mainline part down over everything,neat and tightish as you go.. usually 6 to 8 turns.
5/Then back up about 3 spaced turns to the eye, back thru the eye, going around the opposite side to where the eye join to shank is.
6/ hook the hook over something solid  and pull like hell to tighten everything up.

The method getting the exact length with exact stretch to hold trace in the grooves on the long line board is in the other thread.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 2:18pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use a different flasher material to yours and I found folding the flasher over and pinching at the top of the hook it came out a lot more tidy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That looks good
 Different flasher.. no the same if look at the traces with combos... I brought in bulk large hanks of it in many colours yrs ago.. an opportunity was put in front of me so dont know if can still get it that cheap.

"Folding over "end of the day it is how the knot all holds together when in use... never tried that or tested.

My flasher, be it stray lines, ledgers , long lines always lasted longer than the hooks, even feathers...
Flasher would get re used several times over.

As to "Tidy"  a personal though here... I think untidy, a little on the scrappy side is more natural to something in nature that a predator would jump on with ease.
I have 'trialed' tidy , scrappy.. scrappy comes out a little ahead or even .. but not enough to statistically to say which is best.

Have discussed with fishermen over beers over the yrs and several fresh water guys.. one a well known now in England.
 General comments are along the lines  " a fly with a few bits hanging poking off works better than a very tidy insect body

Also from marketing point of view.. lets take childrens toys.. they are primary targeted in colours and shapes at those who pay for them, their concept of what children want... and children then get conditioned to these parameters...
 Very basic principles or marketing and propaganda.
 So on that , think about it... you have a rack of pre tied flashers.. some just look scrappy untidy, the other rack all very nicely presented proportioned , clipped.. even maybe just slightly more expensive...
Thinking objectively, which will you instinctively buy?

Since I tie all my own traces, and usually when out, someone looses, knicks a trace, fish get gut hooked, its quicker for everyone, for me to just grab a new one out of the draw under the bait board, and hand to them .. before they even have their gear bag out at their feet..
 So tie a lot traces... tie neat, trimming up went out the window yrs ago.

The $2 shop feathers, was an experiment/ trial yrs back. Worked, gave an extra parameter.
At 1st when tried them, in the water, pull up fish or no fish, they looked a total failure.. so much was really disapionted at the time... then dropped the same trace back in the water and the feathers opened up again... Re se that same trace a week or month later, still opens up Thumbs Up

I think it is more about choice of colours, combos of colours and shapes (the feathers) targeting different species and time of yr.

And the most important, regardless of choice flasher, or whatever.. is getting the hook sitting on the trace the right way (re curve /J ) and making sure that last turn of the  main trace line going back up around the flat side of the eye , then tru, back to main line is paramount.

Oh and cost.. yeah we dont have deep pockets now retired...
Quality and sharp hooks make big difference
 I dont know what a flasher trace costs these days..
Owner or gamasahsu (? wrong spelling) work out about $1 each
A meter or so of good fluro about $1
 Flasher feathers guess high  50c
 So a 2 hook fixed stray line as per above is about $3 to $4.. And you dont need to go, travel to the shop to buy. Thumbs Up
 I buy hooks in 25 packs when on special, and doing so always have stock in the draw when re stock on next special.

There are a lot of us who these small budget things really matter, which other wise  we would be spending more on lower grade 'tools'Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 5:10pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont know "Steps" one looks like nose tickler and "Kandrew" looks like a black magic. If I was too vote on "Kandrew" would win.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well those of mine where just tied with no thought to being winning a beauty contest.. or an intial "see if this works " type of play."

I will also note at the timer the traces where tied, hung and had not had the final trim... even so as I have explained in post above  the reasons for being a bit 'shaggy' .

And yes you have just reinforced my thoughts of the shape, colours of so many things is about the marketing propaganda manipulation for  sales and  not the effectiveness.   ie The buying of neat tidy over actual end use effectivenessWink

We catch fish for a feed rather than target, and Im damn good at that having done so since early 60s.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:10pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Debatable steps.