Can you ever be too prepared?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you ever be too prepared?
    Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 7:51pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You think it won't/can't happen, so how seriously do you take the preparation in case it does?
Most of the guys I see on this forum I think are well prepared.
So here is my story for the day.
I am fishing in Vanuatu right now. I usually fish solo and fish the fads - about 20 k out. There is no coastguard here. You ARE on your own and better prepare for it. My 90 2 stroke Merc is dead simple and I carry spares in the boat. It is as fool proof a motor as you can get - which is why I persist with it. Not worried about the fuel, altho it is better than many might expect.
Today I set out for a Fad 20 k out and arrived at daybreak. A bunch of banana boats already been fishing it in the dark. I prefer not solo - too many challenges, but I have done it. I figured they would soon pack it in and I would have the fad to myself - no one was catching anything while I was there.  
So by 7.30 am they had all drifted off home. Just me. Fad to myself 20 ks out. Let it settle and spend the day on it trying for something. The wind and sea were both up a bit 10-15knts and about 1.5m. But forecast to drop.
An hr or so later, while trying to catch a live bait my motor stopped dead. Sounded ominous - no cough, just DEAD. Checked fuel supply - looked OK, changed plugs, sea trying to wash in to my motor. No difference. Didn't expect any - from the way it died - sounded like dead electrics. 
Lost for an answer first thought was phone my Surtees mate - let him know where I was and the problem.
I had by now, with the wind and current drifted far out from the Fad - heading for Noumea.
Go to call him - no coverage - too far out. Hmm. One lifeline gone.
Next plan. The 70s 8HP Johnson I carry in the cabin - for 10 yrs now. Bouncing around every trip. Last tried 2-3 yrs ago. A yr prior to that, failed to go - had to get a CDI unit repaired.
Mount that and give a few pulls and coughs in to life. Amen . Have to mix 2 stroke for it - but I have spare oil and measurer in boat and my spare fuel is in 10 l cans. I have an adaptor to feed the fuel line from the cans to the motor. All pre planned. I set off for home into a head wind and sea (rising - against forecast). After about 90 mins I have coverage and phone mate.
Finally he finds me - he is out of coverage and his radio is not working - to his surprise  (18mth old boat).
Under tow and I have time to contemplate and realise I have knocked the emergency stop switch below the ignition switch. Never touched or used it in near 15 yrs.
But if my mate had not turned up or I had no coverage and the auxilliary didn't fire, what then? 
I have on board about 20 l of water - stored in the hull and my ice bottles. And the EPIRB would have been next.
Meantime maybe I would have caught a few fish drifting to Noumea.
That is the scariest moment I have had in a boat to date. And I gave my 8HP Johnson a good wash and some new gearbox oil this arvo. May give it a hug too tomorrow.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 8:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

i have stopped to help 3 boats that won't start due to the kill switch being off.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 8:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Pleased it all worked out for you Alan
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 8:41pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Classic Alan.  Yep Any man would feel sick having that happen to them. At least you've got the brains to have extra communication, Epirb and a spare outboard!  Well Done.
That bloody Merc cut-out switch on the remote... It saved my arse years ago.
Dam new engine refused to start while I drifted off Bayswater Marina, aborted trip, went home very pissed off, Ureaka moment when I found that dam switch, Realised my missing flush muffs were still on the engine from previous week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:06pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great result for what could have been a very bad day. At least you had the epirb, I'm guessing the other boats that were out there before you wouldn't have had one.  

BTW I've done the same thing with that kill switch too out by the knights. Motor was off at the time and then wouldn't start when I wanted to move. Took me about 15 minutes to figure what the issue was. They should have a system that it wont even turn over if the "kill" switch is activated as one could easily flatten the battery trying to start something that will never start. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:07pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Phew ... times such as that can make us feel rather small compared to the ocean with the only positiveaspect being it does us no harm to have a scare occasionally providing no one is injured or even worse.

BTW had you told anyone on shore where you were going?

As you well know we have the same motor/s yours being a Mariner which is of course identical to the merc but in light of your experience today am wondering if there could be a small difference namely :-

For the cutout switch to deploy on my 90 hp merc the key needs to be switched off then removed ... or ... at least that is what I have always thought up until just now because it is designed to function via the land yard attached to the key & the driver as a guard against MOB ... few if any of us nevertheless bother to clip it on to ourselves however it makes sense that key would only require a yank to activate the kill switch ... excuse me BBL am off to the garage right now to check !

Back ... hmnn that was interesting ... yeah contrary to what I thought key does not need to be switched off in order to activate the kill switch ... a deliberate backwards yank on the land yard works just as well. Am then faced with having to restore the hard to locate switch back to the "on" position which would indicate maybe your switch was activated via being bumped but imo that would be unlikely unless something is faulty so despite the fact you know far more about such things than myself may pay to check that area over.

Once the switch has been activated to upwards ( off ) position it is a tad difficult to move switch back on unless can push something like a blank key down a hard to see small slot directly above. Tomorrow I intend to fashion up something to suit that purpose ... maybe you should give thought to doing likewise.

Does not end there tho ... after finally get the switch back to on about 10 mins back, flicked the ignition key to "start" fully expecting a response ... but ... nada ... what had I done wrong?

After a fruitless confused spurtherace of time the thought struck it could have something to do with the two battery emergency system I wisely had installed & after time spent mucking about with it everything reverted to normal.

Even so, am planning on fully investigating the set up tomorrow to familiarise myself as to how things work or at least how they are supposed to ... for not always easy to be clear headed in a emergency situation out at sea.   
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:32pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It sounds like a few of us have experienced that kill switch moment.  It's a horrible feeling.  We had such a moment on a mate's boat about 20 years ago.  We were 60kms offshore at the time.  No phone coverage and out of VHF range to the landbase station.  Certainly a sphincter puckering moment.  Took a good 10-15 minutes before we realized what had happened.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:21pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

It sounds like a few of us have experienced that kill switch moment.  It's a horrible feeling.  We had such a moment on a mate's boat about 20 years ago.  We were 60kms offshore at the time.  No phone coverage and out of VHF range to the landbase station.  Certainly a sphincter puckering moment.  Took a good 10-15 minutes before we realized what had happened.

On two occasions have had a situation where a passenger onboard unknown to me had removed the key then as is done in a car simply pushed it back into place. Of course when it came time to restart it was a "no go" until finally figuring out what the problem could be.

Guess it raises the question of how important is it to have a kill switch or would it be better without one ... only advantage I can see is the motor stops if the skipper goes overboard ... they are apparently mandatory in the US ... but do they have the potential to cause more catastrophes than to avoid them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:04pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In my thinking, the moment a kill switch is activated, an alarm should sound, ignition on or off..that way if someone is having a tutu when they should be keeping their sticky fingers in their pockets, it becomes apparent to all in earshot that someone is touching something they shouldn't.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:34am
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

... only advantage I can see is the motor stops if the skipper goes overboard ...

exactly this. As a spearo on the occasional solo missions in my little dinghy, I never go out without the kill switch rope attached to my hand. Cuts out the motor when rushing up front to drop the anchor, but that’s a small price for safety
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:40am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by e.m.p! e.m.p! wrote:

... only advantage I can see is the motor stops if the skipper goes overboard ...

exactly this. As a spearo on the occasional solo missions in my little dinghy, I never go out without the kill switch rope attached to my hand. Cuts out the motor when rushing up front to drop the anchor, but that’s a small price for safety
Around the legs not a bad way to go, then your hands are free.

You can also get Bluetooth ones that have a sensor on the motor and a unit on your Rist that cuts when your out of range.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:13am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reminds me of time I was in islands. Local woman came to see my 2IC. He came to me and said she was worried cause her partner Hans (German guy) had not returned after going fishing previous day. I drove across airfield to see pilot who was doing the daily island hopping flight and asked him to keep an eye out for missing 14ft tinny. He said he would. Got back to met office and started calculating likely drift. Pretty easy as trade wind direction was constant, but didn't know speed of drift. Norm returned from his flight and had seen nothing. He suggested collection money for gas among palangis and he would do another search flight. Agreed and gave him some money and direction I thought boat was. Got a few of my staff and the office runabout and went out of lagoon searching the sea but nothing. Returned home to the news plane had found missing boat but was staying overhead till fishing boat arrived. This meant it would be dark on planes return and asked if I could improvise some runway lighting. OK Had a pile of small tins and as I ran the fuel depot plenty of kero. So laid them out either side of runway with car headlights at end. Plane got down OK. Fishing boat returned with missing man (He had broken his crankshaft.) Norm said he flew down the bearing I had given him and found the boat. Lucky.. I think the drift rate was about 2 to 3 kts.
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:18am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good post. Being somewhere where you can't be rescued focuses the mind. I had a very near miss in the Cook Islands a while ago. Not my boat and totally unprepared for any emergency. One in a million chance that I'm here to tell the tale. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:46am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hmnn ... have you thought how vulnerable you could be in the (God Forbid) event you went over board.

You would be bobbing around in the water with a key attached to yourself via a cord & the boat maybe 30 mtrs away due to way on after
motor cuts out then current & wind takes over after you have recovered your thoughts & decided what best to do ... how far away will the boat be by then & even if you had a passenger on board they would not be able to start the motor without the key ... guess that would a good reason to have a spare on board.

This sennario probably not applicable to you as sounds like is a pull start motor so all that would be required to get going would be to flick the switch back on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:37pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Hmnn ... have you thought how vulnerable you could be in the (God Forbid) you went over board.

You would be bobbing around in the water with a key attached to yourself via a cord & the boat maybe 30 mtrs away due to way on after
motor cuts out then current & wind takes over after you have recovered your thoughts & decided what best to do ... how far away will the boat be by then & even if you had a passenger on board they would not be able to start the motor without the key ... guess that would a good reason to have a spare on board.

This sennario probably not applicable to you as sounds like is a pull start motor so all that would be required to get going would be to flick the switch back on.
That’s why I like the Mercury kill cords you can switch the kill switch back on again, the Yamaha has the kill cord that pushes in around and holds the switch closed, even though I have tied a bit of rope around these ones in the past to start the motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:50pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like your prep Alan,
Still has holes in it though.
Good result your safe.
And weather forecasts are just that forecasts.

I've seen that kill switch scenario a few times over the years.
Had one a couple of years ago where they had broken down on the Sth exit to manukau, husband and wife modern open boat and newish motor.
Crew and I decided to hook up and tow and sort problem out later. Got them back to little huia. I'm always seeing the puzzle in what may of happened before I try and help them out mechanically.
It occurred to me after conversation with skipper to evaluate problem that it might be the kill,switch.
It was, never had such an ungrateful bastard as he became, it was like it was all my fault.

Still, no skin off my back and will never stop me putting myself out there to help out. 99 percent are very pleased with any help I've offered.
But most are ill prepared and arrogant to risk boaties.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:03pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just had a look at mine (late model Suzuki) and it is a clip on the kill cord that holds a button out. It occurred to me that if I fall out the crew would need to know to wedge out the button some how to come get me. I might get a spare and have it hanging on a piece of string by the remotes.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:28pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DIY DIY wrote:

Just had a look at mine (late model Suzuki) and it is a clip on the kill cord that holds a button out. It occurred to me that if I fall out the crew would need to know to wedge out the button some how to come get me. I might get a spare and have it hanging on a piece of string by the remotes.
Carry a plastic clothes peg as they will slip over those button kill switches.

They fit mine at least,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:53pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good idea, cheers
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:57pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Page  12>