How irresponsible was that ?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How irresponsible was that ?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:41pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

In tune with a lot of folk bored with L4  lock down we are watching
far more tv than we normally do.

A couple of nights back there was a program called "Travel Guides"
or something like that involving a dozen or so crass Aussies who are 
paid ( presumably ) to travel to & stay at various destinations world wide.

This session involved the Whitsunday area.

Despite none of them having any prior experience & a couple of them could not even swim they were thrown into a range of activities including :-

(1) Each couple left to overnight in sole care of a large yacht.
(2) Fool about in kayaks
(3) Hoon about at full titty on high powered jet skis
(4) Etc

Admittedly, there no doubt would have been a camera crew hovering around in the background nevertheless given the potential for serious injury involved they probably would not be qualified to offer help in many situations.

Furthermore ... what sort of message was being sent to millions of viewers that this is the fun way to experience activities on the water
without any heed to the inherent dangers?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:51pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haven't watched it and don't think I will, but there are enough sh*t heads in the world to get worked up about. i.e. those that deliberately hurt or steal from others, so I'll save my anger for them. Good luck to those fun-loving morons. I hope they don't die, but if they do, you can only hope that they have not yet contributed to the gene pool. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 5:07pm
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate.
Words fail me.
Reality TV needs to get real.

Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 5:15pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To be fair though "Bazza" it was nice to see the sleeping pods underwater,wake with fish looking through the window. I suspect the Skippers would of actually stayed onboard just werent shown. "Travel guides Australia" enjoyable series gave some ideas when lockdown is over what is on offer outside the big cities.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 5:39pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

To be fair though "Bazza" it was nice to see the sleeping pods underwater,wake with fish looking through the window. I suspect the Skippers would of actually stayed onboard just werent shown. "Travel guides Australia" enjoyable series gave some ideas when lockdown is over what is on offer outside the big cities.

True enough ... but the point being made was that when on, under, or about to jump into water it should not be portrayed as all fun & no responsibilities to observe safety rules or directives ... in that regard it
was imo sending all the wrong messages.

Yeah ... as already mentioned, camera & emergency personnel may well have been nearby BUT would they have been enough to deal with
an incident where a zero experienced older woman gets caught in a descending anchor chain or rope let alone a high speed collision between two or more jet ski manned by first time riders?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:01pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza, I get it - what is portrayed on TV. But generally that is a million miles from reality - even with reality TV. I won't go in to the programmes I have watched (naked people surviving on locusts in jungles) but then you have to think, how is the camera man managing. Is he naked and eating locusts too, and carrying a camera thru the snake infested swampy bogs while looking for a tree branch or another locust.
I suspect so much is staged. Yes - bad PR, but when the punters get there (if they do in the covid world) I am guessing they will endure a bunch of restraints and do's and dont's.
Look at White Is.
Keep safe in your covid world. My wife is eating my oysters - but there may be more crays coming soon.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Agree Alan. While a lot of that stuff is tough alright it is still staged and scripted. I have watched some of the Bear Grills show, Wicked Tuna and Alaskan Bush People - which is THE worst show but even Wicked Tuna, it's all scripted - every visit to the buy  has the exact same questions across the show. All the reel drags make the same sound, and ALWAYS go , click .... click ... click. whirrrrrrr. Then there are the sounders, all make identical sounds when they mark a fish. You can pretty much tell by the commentary when they are about to lose a fish. And that's a good show! 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I watched one Alaskan one, can't remember what it was called and some old biddy was out chopping firewood with he chainsaw. She had absolutely no clue and if she was indeed living as portrayed would have either frozen to death or cut her skull in half within a year or two.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:31pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Bazza, I get it - what is portrayed on TV. But generally that is a million miles from reality - even with reality TV. I won't go in to the programmes I have watched (naked people surviving on locusts in jungles) but then you have to think, how is the camera man managing. Is he naked and eating locusts too, and carrying a camera thru the snake infested swampy bogs while looking for a tree branch or another locust.
I suspect so much is staged. Yes - bad PR, but when the punters get there (if they do in the covid world) I am guessing they will endure a bunch of restraints and do's and dont's.
Look at White Is.
Keep safe in covid world. My wife is eating my oysters - but there may be more crays coming soon.
Alan

I actually quite enjoy watching "survival" so called "reality" shows despite being well aware of how contrived they are in actual fact.

Most of the various programs usually have several things in common such as :-

Contestants are allowed to implement anything they accidentally find & whadayouknow they invariably purely by luck find something that instead of being useless junk later transpires into an essential aid towards survival.

The camera footage is obviously being shot by a third party but viewers are sucked in to believe otherwise.

One amazing aspect tho, that cannot be faked is the survival guy with plaited hair that goes everywhere be it ice, snow, rocks, swamp, coral etc in bare feet.

Cheers ... take care ... hope the fishing is productive up there ... at least you can still get out unlike we here in Jaffaland who can but dream about what it WAS like.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:40pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last word in reality survival shows: Alone

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:02pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There was a time back in the day when the likes of the Discovery channel used to feature interesting documentaries about pretty much anything and everything that involved animals and nature.
Now days its just hour after hour of absolute bullish-t reality tv rubbish. Take Naked and Afraid.... I mean WTF - what is that supposed to be? Whats the point of it?
Alaskan Bush people... give me a break, they are all paid actors.
Notice how all their boats have brand new Yammys on the back. None of them would last a week out there in Reality.
The shows that feature Hillbillys hunting the likes of Bigfoot,or mythical dog like creatures, UFOs etc....my god, who dreams this sh-t up?
As Smudge said Wicked Tuna is the only thing bearable due to the fact they are actually catching a fish. But the whole manufactured rivalry between them, weigh ins, etc is on par with the likes of Jordy Shore  but without the slappers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:21pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

There was a time back in the day when the likes of the Discovery channel used to feature interesting documentaries about pretty much anything and everything that involved animals and nature.
Now days its just hour after hour of absolute bullish-t reality tv rubbish. Take Naked and Afraid.... I mean WTF - what is that supposed to be? Whats the point of it?
Notice how all their boats have brand new Yammys on the back. None of them would last a week out there in Reality.
The shows that feature Hillbillys hunting the likes of Bigfoot,or mythical dog like creatures, UFOs etc....my god, who dreams this sh-t up?
As Smudge said Wicked Tuna is the only thing bearable due to the fact they are actually catching a fish. But the whole manufactured rivalry between them, weigh ins, etc is on par with the likes of Jordy Shore  but without the slappers.

That sums it up rather nicely I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 3:19am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Watching old series of "Deadliest catch" on Choice TV.Think thats has to be real.You just couldnt make that stuff up but how times can you watch a pot being pulled up?Bit like the Aussie cray show around Tasmania.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:27am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can't stand the reality shows, admit I watched a few series of mafs just to watch the train wrecks as it all unfolded, but I the end you realise the contestants were picked for the likelyhood of drama..
The block, cooking shows..it all bores me
I often end up in youtube , aussie 4wd stuff...but then you realise it's some young people living the high life off patreon and such, every day is a holiday for them...lucky buggers...
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:27am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Must admit. I was sucked in originally when so called reality shows first started appearing. Watched the very last recap episode and they showed one dramatic scene that they said had to be filmed at least three times to get the results the director wanted. I thought "reality my partooty' and have never gone back. Well not deliberately anyway.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:57am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Does anyone remember a Discovery channel feature called 'Eaten Alive' Where a man deliberately allows himself to be injested by an Anaconda? A couple of years back.
A complete twat dressed like Ned Kelly in a carbon fibre suit claimed there was a 40 ft snake out there and wanted it to eat him in the name of seeing what it would be like to be consumed alive.
 Alas after 1.5 hrs of just complete and utter BS and no mega-snake that was willing to put this total retard in its mouth they had to settle for some poor un-supecting snake in a zoo.

After being smeared in pigs blood Ned Kelly tapped out because the snake constricted him and started to swallow his head. 
The snake had no chance of physically consuming him -as it would of been killed eating such a foreign object (composite suit)
The whole episode was a complete debacle  and was 2 hrs of my life I will never get back.

To hear that Animal welfare groups all over the world climbed into the Discovery Chanel  for causing so much stress to the snake in an effort  to create what was in effect nothing more than an ill conceived stunt was at least a small piece of justice for unleashing such a ridiculous 2 hr "reality" documentary on the world.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:00am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does anyone remember a Discovery channel feature called 'Eaten Alive' Where a man deliberately allows himself to be injested by an Anaconda? A couple of years back.
A complete twat dressed like Ned Kelly in a carbon fibre suit claimed there was a 40 ft snake out there and wanted it to eat him in the name of seeing what it would be like to be consumed alive.
 Alas after 1.5 hrs of just complete and utter BS and no mega-snake that was willing to put this total retard in its mouth they had to settle for some poor un-supecting snake in a zoo.

After being smeared in pigs blood Ned Kelly tapped out because the snake constricted him and started to swallow his head. 
The snake had no chance of physically consuming him -as it would of been killed eating such a foreign object (composite suit)
The whole episode was a complete debacle  and was 2 hrs of my life I will never get back.

To hear that Animal welfare groups all over the world climbed into the Discovery Chanel  for causing so much stress to the snake in an effort  to create what was in effect nothing more than an ill conceived stunt was at least a small piece of justice for unleashing such a ridiculous 2 hr "reality" documentary on the world.

Did you watch Taronga zoo??Had a 40ft asian python which they feed once every 6 months. 13lb pig devoured in a hour
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 12:45pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

“Naked and Afraid.... I mean WTF - what is that supposed to be?” That’s a classic Haha - getting bitten on the end of the —— by a fire ant!

Have you seen Naked Attraction - naked people stand in a booth with 3 doors and they open up the doors from the bottom. The contestants choose the person in the booth based on how their parts look before they see their face. Where is TV going to!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:17pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

“Naked and Afraid.... I mean WTF - what is that supposed to be?” That’s a classic Haha - getting bitten on the end of the —— by a fire ant!

Have you seen Naked Attraction - naked people stand in a booth with 3 doors and they open up the doors from the bottom. The contestants choose the person in the booth based on how their parts look before they see their face. Where is TV going to!

Yes ,and thought what is this Sh#T,and not even on late.Saw about 5 minutes and that was it..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:34pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah same. I'm certainly no prude.... but graffic junk out nudity on some rather dodgy looking specimens at around 9.30pm was a little bit much for me on a school night.

Page  12>