Lockdown car accidents

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lockdown car accidents
    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:54pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok, a little tongue in cheek.....

Seems to me the accident rate on the roads is normal.

With such a reduction in normal traffic flows how could this be.

Do we see that the true commiters of these accidents has been revealed.

Seems our essential workers are the true regular culprits of our accident statistics.

Years of road speeds being decreased, bicycle lanes and passenger transport system costs to the detriment of us all have been wasted.
We have finally identified the problem.

Essential workers.

Let us make essential workers only use public transport with no driving of trains or buses and definitely no use of bicycles.

Problem solved and billions saved.

Just a random thought, but still lots of accidents...while we are at home in lockdown.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ahahaha! As an essential worker I will have to offer a counter argument Mattoo. 

How about this - and it isn't tongue in cheek at all. It only appears that car crashes are as per normal, no hard facts. Personally though, I've witnessed as much stupid stuff on the roads as always yet the traffic volume is well down. 

Could it be that those who like to break road rules also don't care for other rules of society?Could it be that they have a total disregard for the Covid Level restrictions? Could it be that criminals are out there doing as much criminal behaviour as usual? I find it hard to believe that any 'credible' criminal will say this "Nah, we can't go out stealing tonight because it's against the law". Well maybe that bit is a little bit tongue in cheek but you get my drift right?

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:44pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And we all make mistakes I must admit there’s a couple of times where through lack of concentration or being distracted I’ve come close to having a major bit of a numbers game maybe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:20pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah! We have just got used to driving in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic all the time.

Suddenly it is all gone and drivers are seeing clear roads. All the pent up frustration of

years of driving on congested roads is released as drivers see empty highways and start

pushing the pedal to the metal. "Let's see what this baby can really do." Like the cork

popping from a bottle of champagne..Smile 
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 4:15am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Being the "Essential worker"class.  I would like to know why there are more cars on the Auckland M/w compared to previous L4.

L4/L3 in 2 other cities I have been too,less to no cars in Tauranga/Wellington but inAuckland its like who cares.

Yes to the police on the Southern/Northern borders but why not set up camp at a few M/w on ramps and ask where /why you travelling. Last Wednesday had it on the Soithern basically to myself from Bombay to Takanini and there it changed at 1.00pm. Steady stream entering and carrying on past Manukau as I went S/w .Had the S/w to myself and exit at Cavendish dr.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1st note: we are one of those "car accidents" the other night.
And do not believe any of the other 4 vehicles and families in those vehicles should have been out.

Pcj my thoughts as well.
Just got to see the strange cars with strange faces driving around here...eg that car driven into the mud at pollack.
Then there is Kariotahi beach.. far more fishers than beach.. and our wider area doesnt have the population to do that.

Most of the local ppl around here are heads down.. but the numbers of house holds the are up in the 5 to 7 household bubbles.. and can only guess at the links that go beyond those. Then throw in the general age group, teens to 40s incuding with young families.

Also the number of those who are 'self employed' on one hand gristle about no income, go bust, and on the other dont get it.. the sooner everyone hunkers down.. not just the rules but intent of those rules.. the sooner we will all be out of this.. its good for business
Not hunkering down is bad business.. cant see that deserve to go bust..

One just need to listen to the community numbers, who many spread in the household.. gone.. and those who have spread in the community...be it careless shopping or just extended bubble into others bubbles.

Get up into sth auckland, just got to see the lines at supermarkets.. little distancing , masks not over noses.. and " hey thats my friend up there why not run up pull my mask down and have a big hug.

It is so bad there is a family up there who dont feel safe going to the super market, so get a person down here do a shop on order collect, then take the groceries up their and drop at the letter box.
 Yep broken rules  yet in the spirit of them.

I think we can see a lot of this withing the stats from when this outbreak 1st happened... stat modeling is usually pretty damn accurate. this time about 3 to 4 days late before predicted drop in community transmitted (as against household) cases..

Long gristle here.

We hear business crying alligator tears, freight industry, hospitality, cant do this cant do that , hold up blah  blah.
 If those ppl worked for me I would fire them.
 Why? nothing to do with Covid or lockdown.. its an attitude that should be more... "well thats the rules, now how do we work effectively within them?"
 Something the supermarkets, local butchers, alcohol outlets veggie shops do ... (yet some just have to bend the intent , break rules and cry tears when caught)

Bottom line Auckland L4 extensions are because of these f'ing jafas making the life of companies, and people far more difficult in the rest of the country than needs be.
Far too many of these  JAFA s in Auckland.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:14am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wife was lamenting the lack of indicators not being used this morning after driving to work the past couple of days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DJracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:04am
DJracing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I whole heartedly agree with you Steps , I have had to go out twice this week to do click and collect . The local roads have gone from being quiet as to back to the normal non lockdown traffic. It seems to be a lot of people commuting through to get to Kariotahi and the likes . 
I see the little bridge that had the barrier damaged a couple of weeks ago has now had the barrier completely removed by another crash , its crazy that so many accidents are happening in Franklin at present considering the supposedly lack of people on the move. 
Don't get me started on the 24/7 movement of Trucks going into the steel mill with Coal going in and Sand going out. Totally stuffing our roads . Someone really is making a fortune on all these coal movements , crazy that in these times we still cant rail it up from Huntly. Apparently there are Indonesian Coal carriers back to back until way after Christmas.  Just my 5 cents ... Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:26pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Wife was lamenting the lack of indicators not being used this morning after driving to work the past couple of days.

Rule I think is to let your indicator blink 3 times before starting turn. Quite often I see people halfway into their turn before they indicate..

If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:17pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Rule I think is to let your indicator blink 3 times before starting turn. Quite often I see people halfway into their turn before they indicate..

indicate  for 3 seconds before turning etc,you can go along way in 3 seconds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:25pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah guys she said there was zero indication, a few cars did it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:29pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As a colleague from the UK said to me, **** drivers, **** cars and **** roads. I think he might be on to something. Death rate in NZ is double that of the UK per 100 000 population and remains so, even when adjusted for kilometres driven.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:07pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I always thought that kiwis learned to drive at too young an age. Bad habits form early. The roads are worse due mostly to geography and budget. But in saying that I still think there are more genuine idiotic drivers in the UK.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:23pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One thing that does amaze me and I’m not a fast driver, but I like to stick to 100km when I’m the open road. Is how many cars pass me and I always thought the middle lanes on the Auckland motorway was the fast lane, but oh no it’s the outside lanes.

Auckland drivers have indicators will travel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep annoying at intersections..

There are idiots out there doing assorts stuff, intentional to bad habits to ignorance.
Cant change that no matter how p155ed of , or indignant.

As to following and they turn.. I follow at distances if something happens up front I just take my foot of the throttle... may annoy , bottom line dont really care.. or swear or carry on about it.
 Doing so distracts one from the next possible incident in front.
 And when travel at this distance, and happen to look at something not on the road in front , one still has heaps distance time to slow down rather than stomp brakes.
 Makes for a relaxed , non tireing, safe unstressed  and safe trip... espec for the passengers.

Yep we have these inconsiderate, stupid idoits.. but there is no need to have them mess up my day or trip simply because Im travelling too fast and/ or to close not taking their BS into account.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:05pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of the tricks - as Steps has indicated, is Not to watch the bumper of the car in front. Look several cars ahead. Brake lights on? Chain reaction sure to follow. Circuit racing , right Steps. Be looking 100m ahead.
Intersections/indicators - ignore (to a large extent). They can be stuck on, or more likely people don't use them. There are heaps of morons out there. Big factor in our road stats. Have been teaching grand daughter to drive (since she was 14...... sssh). Quiet back country roads. She recently got her license - first shot. She was sooo proud. Been struggling with a few things in life.
Taught her to ignore the indicators at intersections etc. Look at the cars front wheels.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:55am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

One of the tricks - as Steps has indicated, is Not to watch the bumper of the car in front. Look several cars ahead. Brake lights on? Chain reaction sure to follow. Circuit racing , right Steps. Be looking 100m ahead.
Intersections/indicators - ignore (to a large extent). They can be stuck on, or more likely people don't use them. There are heaps of morons out there. Big factor in our road stats. Have been teaching grand daughter to drive (since she was 14...... sssh). Quiet back country roads. She recently got her license - first shot. She was sooo proud. Been struggling with a few things in life.
Taught her to ignore the indicators at intersections etc. Look at the cars front wheels.
Alan
Quite right never mind the car in front,look ahead maybe 100m,as soon as you see brake lights,foot of accelerator in anticipation of braking. Indicators,Hmm yes people drive with them left on but just be ready for them to do the unthinkable,rounabouts and indication is a big issue same as x cross rd where one is on a compulsary stop and opposite is on a giveway.  If we all slowed down gave way when we have the right instead of pushing our rights there would less acidents.

The  thing on Motorway I do not understand or can get answer from the police/road code even a driving instructure.

3  or 2 lane motorway,you are the left lane and to go to right lane,indicate and move across,no issue in right lane and want left lane indcate move over, Now the tricky part you are in the left lane and want right,car in right lane wants left you both move over,who has the right of way?? My way of thinking vehicle in front but what if side by side??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:48am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep AlanL  all that old school basic stuff as well that we generally got TOLD back then.

One that has always stuck in my head thu from the old man.
"you are no different than a airplane or bus or train driver.. you just have one thing to do... get everyone to the destination safe"
 And the above post is how to do it..
Even when the proverbial happens, cant avoid, you have time and distance to at least keep ppl safe.
That back then applied to no air bags , no seat belts, no crush zones, no extra roof ,cabin strength, and a steering wheel that doesn't collapse.
Just go back 10/15yrs before.. most of the chassis and all the body frame wood.

I do miss my Bradford Van thu...
legally cant fit seat belts.. there is nowhere secure they can be mounted therefore exempt.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:00am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

its clear to me that if accidents arent changing during level 4, accidents are clearly caused by essential workers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

its clear to me that if accidents arent changing during level 4, accidents are clearly caused by essential workers

No If read my post and thread on the subject, last week we where in an accident.
2 vehicles not hit but involved.. I believe where breaking L4 rules.
vehicle behind them, believe had a few beers, but not cause and out with family against L4 rules
Vehicle behind then that wasnt paying attention , not sure about few beers or whatever.. again breaking covid rules
 Us on the other side of the road , opposite direction , going to pick up contact less shopping order from supper market....

And if read the news, well I get the impression a lot are still boy racer types, and recollect at least several of the cars they hit where essential workers on the way home or to work.

I have looked around tentatively for the actual stats  but havnt found then .. yet.

Page  12>