Garden chat

Page  <1 23456 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 7:07pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Why ask me?  I just do the heavy digging/lifting.  Acting under orders
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:07pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi matto, kings seeds northland has a great variety
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 4:41pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys.
Will look into those options.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 5:06pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have never tried Nichols seeds in Dunedin but have tried Kings and yip they get a thumbs up from me. Last year i bought a pkt of Yates beefsteak tomatoseed. There were 15 seeds in the packet !!!  This year when i got my Kings beef tomato packet i counted them , over 60 seeds in a pkt. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 6:20am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m in lvl 2 and went to mitre 10 when opened. Seedlings were huge! Chilli plants were 30 cm high! Bunnings had 6 pod seedling trays for $1.98 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:30am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Cut
A fortnight or more ago I planted my bean seeds namely 4 varieties each of dwarf & runners.

Since then have been in anticipation of seeing seedings emerge but to date nada !

Finally in desperation I dug up a couple of the seeds about 15 mins ago & was somewhat relieved to find the seeds have sprouted the beginnings of stalks about 25 mm long & are also developing a root structure but given the time they have been in the ground would have expected them to be more advanced.

Admittedly the weather of late here in Jaffaland has been wet, cold &  windy so maybe that is the reason but raises the question of should they be left alone or dug out & replaced as have read that if they are slow to develop then the plants are likely to lack vigor.

Have noticed beans can react rather strangely at times in various localities eg My runner beans one year planted in Auckland had been making satisfactory progress but were well away from picking or for that matter even flowering. Therefore during a visit to Greymouth was staggered to find folk down there were already picking theirs.

I would have thought the Greymouth climate would have made growing a lot of vegs down there marginal, let alone have them thrive!  

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 11:00am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

temp has a lot to do with it…I had 50 corn seeds I planted yesterday eaten by blackbirds this morning grrr gardening huh 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 12:01pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

temp has a lot to do with it…I had 50 corn seeds I planted yesterday eaten by blackbirds this morning grrr gardening huh 

Yeah I had the same problem initially with the bloody blackbirds, thrushes & mynas digging up the seeds ... hanging tinsel etc. that worked short term but finally all that was achieved ultimately was to create a pseudo premature xmas decoration.

Could not buy any netting due to the lockdown so had to resort to scouring the property for bits & pieces which are serving the purpose in the time being but am apprehensive re having to lift them once the seedlings begin to emerge ... whenever that might be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 12:40pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I buy from Polynet down south & they deliver anywhere. Netting is an essential product.I use their microclima.

They have flexible fibre rods for making your own tunnels. Easy as. and I got that shipped too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 1:30pm
Gold
Gold

I plant my corn seeds in seed trays and then plant out when they are about 75mm high. Planted the first of them in the trays about a week ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:32pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza, those guys in greymouth planted a year earlier.

To protect your seeds with no netting.
Use some bamboo sticks and lie them over the planting lines.
Or grab some dead tea tree branches over the zone.
They don't need light just warmth and moisture.
Most birds aren't removal experts on lumber.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:56pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

reelcrayze the birds picked the seeds out of my seedling trays! I don’t have a glass house space but may make cold. Frames out of old wooden windows 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:55pm
Gold
Gold

reelcrayze the birds picked the seeds out of my seedling trays! I don’t have a glass house space but may make cold. Frames out of old wooden windows 

Wow , your birds are more aggressive than the ones down here. Mind you I have to take my seeding trays inside each night to beat the frost and yesterday they never came out of my shed as it snowed for a couple of hours Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 7:35am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah I do think I have a couple hardcore blackbirds I think the slug gun may come into play. The corn had that pink poison on them as couldn’t source organic during lock down easily, I wonder what effect it has. I left a filled tray with no seeds out last night and it’s all pecked up this morning so I think poison didn’t effect….
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 7:54am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right here is this years garden challenge !!!!

For all those who have a bit of space only requirement.

There is a ancient gardening method that comes from American Indians and South America. It’s genius as it’s companion planting on a small scale that provides its own support, cover, nitrogen fixing etc…

It’s called the THREE SISTERS planting. Very simple.

On its smallest scale. You create a small mound and plant one corn seed, one pumpkin seed and one climbing bean seed. This challenge allows just one planting or multiples of these if you have the space.

The corn grows fastest and becomes a stake for the climbing bean and shades the Pumpkin. Pumpkin does weed control via shade, keeps moisture in and creates mulch. They all require different nutrients and feed each other and share 3 layers of light. 

Ive heard about it for years and never tried. This year is the year. Feel free to join and we can compare pics as they grow and crop.

The challenge for gardeners has been laid down.👊👋

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 8:50am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

yeah I do think I have a couple hardcore blackbirds I think the slug gun may come into play. The corn had that pink poison on them as couldn’t source organic during lock down easily, I wonder what effect it has. I left a filled tray with no seeds out last night and it’s all pecked up this morning so I think poison didn’t effect….

May be wrong but pink coating on some seeds is not a poison as we know it but a preservative to prevent deterioration ... very much doubt
if any poisonous additives would be allowed or in the unlikely event they were then surely they would require clear warnings to the affect!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:38am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks Gazza. Bugger it would have been a quick fix to my problem �£
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:44am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Right here is this years garden challenge !!!!

For all those who have a bit of space only requirement.

There is a ancient gardening method that comes from American Indians and South America. It’s genius as it’s companion planting on a small scale that provides its own support, cover, nitrogen fixing etc…

It’s called the THREE SISTERS planting. Very simple.

On its smallest scale. You create a small mound and plant one corn seed, one pumpkin seed and one climbing bean seed. This challenge allows just one planting or multiples of these if you have the space.

The corn grows fastest and becomes a stake for the climbing bean and shades the Pumpkin. Pumpkin does weed control via shade, keeps moisture in and creates mulch. They all require different nutrients and feed each other and share 3 layers of light. 

Ive heard about it for years and never tried. This year is the year. Feel free to join and we can compare pics as they grow and crop.

The challenge for gardeners has been laid down.👊👋

It sounds great but pumpkins use so much water. I have had a few goes at growing giant pumpkins and I'd easily give those things 10 litres or more a day. On tank water that's a real issue. On the other hand though not every sweetcorn and bean plant needs its own pumpkin Big smile. Interesting idea.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:32pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

smudge try a smaller pumpkin plant like butternut maybe. The corn shades the pumpkin which may help too. ??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:26pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Maybe resorting to lead poisoning via your slug gun might be worth trying.

Must say the birds have been an unprecedented problem this season even to pecking away at the mandarins still on the tree ... something that has never happened before. 
Page  <1 23456 25>