Garden chat

Page  <1 1415161718 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

$10 for a Cauli at Waiuku New World yesterday so I thought shall I buy 5 cauliflower or $50 worth of steak. Was a nice dinner last night hehe.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 5:17pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another learning for this year is to plant more side shoot broccoli.

yeah I grabbed 1 punnet side shoot by accident last yr , other being std. Wondered what was going on with the side shot at 1st.. Sideshoots just cropped endlessly..
 Putting another punnet this yr...
Any left over shoots freeze well.. ready made sizes

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 7:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

This years disappointments, add sweetcorn to the list. Got some nice Florida Super Sweet coming on though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 7:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm determined to put in a winter crop this year, something I haven't done in my jungle for many years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 4:46am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

secound lot of cauilflower seed up and potted up,broccili seed down.last lot of dwarf beans in for the season. been fulling cleared beds with old horse manure to dig in. garlic down next mid april.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 9:12pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cold and wet in Canterbury this Jan and Feb, I never thought I would say Feb was a wet month Shocked... and so the major disaster were the tomatoes, we have just started to pick a few over the last couple of weeks . Pumpkins were average . Corn, carrots, brocolli, potatoes, onions red and brown have all been good as have raspberries and strawberries and early apples [coxs orange] are just coming ready now and looking good. The older varieties like granny smith are doing well but the newer type get hit by some blight... gggrrrr lol. Grapes are looking good also but I am not sure with the cold ??

I enjoy the thread.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 6:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My garden is pretty screwed now, happens every year at this time when I ramp up my fishing Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 3:45pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well we have had 3 butternut soups with 18 more pumpkin and butternut to get through winter, but in winter its pumpkin this cauliflower that with boroccili ,kumara fritters ,potato that,with a nice fish dish .love fishing winter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 3:56pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lingee butternuts are our favourite top but just managed 9 and only two were good ones. Crowns from the compost are going gangbusters and will save the day for our year supply of pumpkins at this stage.

I just buried 10 fish frames and guts which will be my next coriander and cauli bed. Yip fish goes so well with what we have grown. Wife’s right into the cabbages at the mo with hardly a meal goes by without sneaking some in. Purple cabbage have done well too. I can hear the good life theme music now ha
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 3:44pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pulled most of the tomato and dwarf bean plants , clean up ready for planting when weather breaks.. plus looked rather untidy .
Still got 2 patches dwarf beans, 1 cropping one coming into flower, capsicum, cucumbers etc at still cropping and couple late tomato plants.

Every yr I have to remove a good 1 to 2 inches of soil. Garden soil has excellent drainage, and if left to build up, water tends to run off rather than down.

I turn the area being re cultivated over, dropping the compost mulch from the last planting under the surface, then rake off the stuff from the bottom off.
This garden is only 3yrs old now, approx 15 sq m, raked off a good 2 barrow loads last yr and near 0n 3 this yr.

Do others have to do this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 4:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I just usually leave mine over winter then dig it over closer to spring Steps. I should get back into the habit of growing mustard or similar over winter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 6:08pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From memory my parents (and grandparents before that) used to plant and dig in lupins...I never have
 Was a big 1950s/ 60s urban garden...
About 1/2 was lupins over winter think was, rest still produced.. As I mentioned before cycling crops is very important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 10:16am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just beware mustard is a brassica and you cant follow up with any other brassicas in spring.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 2:37pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

steps a good mulch will hold soil in place and hold water and allow it to soak in and a slow steady pace.

I’m interested in a few experienced no dig gardeners who don’t do crop rotation now. Plant brassicas in the same bed over and over for years with no problem. The theory is pests and disease build up and your following crop is less healthy and productive each year. They say the good pest and viruses controlling organisms grow year after year producing in good cropping and healthy plants…

I’m on the fence as it goes against the grain of what I have been taught as fact for many years.

But I’m always open to be swayed 

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 1:33pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

this time of year i dig in horse poo and let the areas rest. other beds are getting planted in broccoli and cauilflower,cabbage etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I used to use mustard or lupins, I didn't realise mustard was a brassica. I try to rotate stuff but I don't get too worried if I cant always manage that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 5:55pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lingee another option if you are limited for space is use horse manure as mulch then clippings over top ending up with about 3 inches in two weeks it one inch and dropping. Keeps soil warm and no dig gets the top layer full of micro organisms and macro like worms clouding in numbers and they bring the top layer down and feed. Just another angle if you didn’t want empty beds over winter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 6:31pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m interested in a few experienced no dig gardeners who don’t do crop rotation now. Plant brassicas in the same bed over and over for years with no problem.

Wondered about that also for many decades.. have seen a several that do that... I would not say they have good crops and on close inspection club root.

Horse/cow poo did that yrs ago.. weeds, heaps weeds and when stopped they kept on coming up for yrs afterwards. I did , on the last gardens put the dried poo in a 1/2 200l drum with water, then bucket the water out.. worked real well....
Dried chicken poo is excellent, and to kill the smell throe gypsum or lime over.

steps a good mulch will hold soil in place and hold water and allow it to soak in and a slow steady pace.

My mulch...Everything here gets composted, hedge timings, kitchen, fireplace ash,  everything, except lawn clippings (as use a 1950s reel/roller lawnmaster ) that mulches back.
Row or area gets roughly turned over, a good 1nch of very well composted compost put on then little hole made for seedlings to plant into..
Issue with this new garden is the drainage is exceptionally way way too good...even after 1st couple yrs...the compost mulch is slowly building up in the soil....The other issue being so good draining soil is leaches the nutiants real fast... espec potash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 6:47pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm just been thinking while making the post above..
We are not greenies  BUT
Our land fill rubbish bin very rarely gets much more than 1 paper supermarket bag per week.
Our recycle bin (packaging etc) gets 1/2 to 3/4 full per fortnight.
The 14 solar panels on the roof (no battery) supply,going on the last 2 full yrs, supplies around 55% of our power... mid summer months they owe us money
The 2 ibc tanks (only fill off the shed) supplies all the water for house shed wash , boat and  motor rinsing, 2 cars, big horn and the ute and topping up the swimming pool.  
Garden supplies (using freezer run on time clocks/solar)) all our sauces, relishes, tomatoes, cali broccoli, beans.

And none of this has been thought out and planed, just bit here bit there grown like popsy...economically viable.

Didnt really sink in just how 'Green' we actually are, till start to 'list' this stuff

Oh and the E bike, saddle bags, carrier for sort around town trips...and 'driving home after a few drinks Wink
Smudge thinks the saddle bags are for filling with rocks and duck decoys when he has to go home EARLY after drinks... our m8 is complaining cause his rock gardens are getting bit bare
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 7:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hey! It's not me doing that. Probably that b'stard The Brown Bomber branching out. Good point about being green. We recycle where we can, compost stuff and use natural fert where I can
Page  <1 1415161718 25>