Garden chat

Page  <1 2122232425>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 1:35pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I just dilute it until it's as you say, a light tea colour. After all the ratio is dependent on how many comfrey leaves/banana skins you put in it in the first place. Like many of these home style ideas though there's no science in it, my guess it wouldn't have much potassium in it and it's mostly nitrogen from the bulk of vegitation.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 3:35pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if you want potasium ashs from a wood fire , calsium from egg shells, put on the garden over the season .egg shell take about 2 months to release the calisium . ash will release over a few weeks, add old horse poo  for nitrogen, i use sea weed liquid on the garden once a month.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 6:30pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If anyone wants some Yacon Rhizomes to grow let me know. Google em if you dont know what they are.
They are starting to sprout so need to go in the ground.
Pick up from Paihia or pay for shipping, otherwise free

Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 10:14pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a busy day in the garden today, couldn't find anyone home to take the frames from yesterday's fishing so decided to revamp one of the raised beds.
Dug out a rather large rhubarb plant that sit into about 10 crowns that was listed on the local buy/sell page and snapped up in no time.
Buried the bin of fish and planted 3 guava plants, couple of tomatoes and 2 eggplants on top of them.
Also weeded about 8m of another raised garden bed and gave the lemongrass bush a decent haircut, then turned the compost bin.
Still have a bunch of weeding to go yet and corn and butternut to plant later this week with another couple of tomato plants.
Passion fruit plants are laden with flowers so hopefully a good crop coming on those too. All the citrus is in full flower while still laden with fruit so that part of the garden is doing very well this year

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 2:34pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

has any of you guys growen a climber bean named mangere pole, i got a few plants of a mate. he said they are a great crop to grow been non stringy like scaret ohara, old herliom variety grown years ago when market gardens were in mangere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 6:35pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Grew some a couple of years ago Lingee. They are yum and prolific, dont know why I haven't done them again
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 9:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Fish 4T Fish 4T wrote:

Originally posted by Fish 4T Fish 4T wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I wish I have neibor like that

Recently acquired a piece of land and guess who turned up last weekend

No I didn't shoot them,
I cant believe that they are pest.

Nice, I don't have my turkeys anymore but they will come back in winter time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 3:50pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well corn going well ,nice beans ,tomatoes flowering ,fruit on tomatoes in green house  but no fish . that coro trip 2 weeks ago has got me going ,but wind .owell soon all going well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Offshore Echoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 4:15pm
Offshore Echoes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i had Grapes, Feijoas and Gooseberrys set to fruit this season. 4 stray lambs showed up (3 different times) and ate the lot. The strays are now in a paddock for the next week waiting for the owner to arrive and pay for damages.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 4:39am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Lambs make a tasty alternative to fruit at least. It's the worst thing when animals destroy your hard work. I'm rural and I have my garden stock proof. My turkeys were shockers - they are now gone and my one free range chook likewise. Now it is rats eating my potatoes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Offshore Echoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 6:56am
Offshore Echoes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yep, if they reach table size before anyone claims them and pays for the damage they will be freezer bound... 

Im still miffed at the damage tho....

Angry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 12:41pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Picked our first zuchinnis in the weekend also red heirloom climber beans, everything else is slow going, sometimes 12deg at night here

Have been harvesting phoenix oyster mushrooms, these are native nz mushies
I haven't got succession harvesting sussed yet.
Each flush is around 120g, so need to set aside a few "brews" of the growing medium & add the spawn to it
At countdown yesterday, oyster mushies were 6.50 per 100g.... these things are sooooo yummy

https://www.mycologic.nz/product-page/mushroom-spawn

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 4:00pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well done on the mushrooms, yes the gardens are slow due to the weather ,we are picking beans ,zukinnis are starting ,potatoes are great ,agria ,jersy bennes ,full crop as around 9 spuds per plant,tomatoes starting,corn up and going ok but a little slow,lettuce good ,capsium seedling slow but have 5 in pots in green house ,i grow 12 a year that gives use around 40/50 a year ,we eat and frez the others as late season beens, growing a corn herliom country genterman ,hope to save sum seed for next year. but in general the gardens are a month behind. love gardening.free food go hard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

How are those gardens going? Fishing has started to overtake my fishing time but getting beans, cucumbers, capsicums, courgettes, tomatoes galore, spinach, all sorts of herbs, silverbeet, sweetcorn, plums, spuds, eggplants &lettuce. Not sure how my kumara will go, soil was a little heave but we'll see.

I'm using around 100 litres of water every two days but it looks like my water tanks are going to fill up over the weekend. I have 4500 litres in drums and IBC's which should see me through summer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 1:46am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beans plants came up and died, peas are still growing,chillis every where green/red capsicums got to get to them before the insects, finding lots with holes from them. Waiting on the Carolina reapers and birds eye.Corn still growing nicely.

This yr not so productive as havent been burying frames/heads. Neighbour wants them.

And the grass hasnt died off.Grr
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:18am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not our best season for tomatoes this year. Too much rain I think. Capsicums have been better in previous years. Lettuce and cucumbers have done well.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 4:19pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, my tomatoes have been a disaster, they rotted on the vines. My cherry toms went from green to partly black, touched them & they fell to the ground.... luckily my potted toms in the greenhouse have been good.
Its just been unseasonably wet, cold & mostly cloudy for weeks on end just before Dec
Boysenberry, rock melon, squash, kamo kamo, cucumber, eggplant big fail as well & zucchini have been ripped out & new ones gone in
Gherkins, blueberries, blackberry have been really good, jalapeno & capsicums getting better & my king of the blues heirloom beans have gone bloody nuts, got too much & more coming on... oh well, that's gardening eh

The sea grass Ive collected from the Manukau harbour has been great, used as mulch, haven't needed to weed the garden once since winter/spring
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 6:55am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The sea grass is a good idea Bananas, why didn't I think of that? I've been using untreated wood shavings but cant really get enough of it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:59am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chilli plants got a battering last night, so semi ripened green chillies will hang and see if go red.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 8:58am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My vege plants have been suffering from the dry weather; particularly sweet corn plants got battered by persistent winds, grrrrrr! plus dry, so many of the corn heads did not form completely. The big rain now, is too late for them.
Page  <1 2122232425>