Garden chat

Page  <1 2021222324 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 4:02am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

my patch is 3mtr x 2mtr, all you need for a average family,as the crowns spread over the years, my patch is 6 years old, more than we can eat as theres only the two of us now ,kids all gone years ago yeppy. remmeber its a waiting game for the first two years but the rewards keep comming yearly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 2:28pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After the initial spray of hitman,knocks them down quick but does kill the roots,2weeks later sprayed with round up and all gone roots,the lot,today dug over what was left and now planted ground cover on a strip that nothing seems to grow(except weeds) round the back just put 12 chili plants,birdseye,fireball and haberbabi? other side capsicums and broadbeans. 
In between replacing a couple of wobblies(dont tell her)new bow roller and shifted winch post.(she caught me on that lot)
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 3:24pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

keep an eye out for any stow away snails
1 hid around my seedlings last week, I should have looked under the seedling trays.... turning my gherkins & zuchinni into stumps.... bloody not happy
This lot should be outside in the next few weeks, all from seeds, all heirloom

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 4:59pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And bloody blackbirds and thrushes. Planted 14 heirloom tomatoes on Thursday morning and there were only 9 left in the ground by Friday lunchtime. Don’t you just love it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 5:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody birds ripping out new seedling before they get established
https://birdnetting.co.nz/
My entire garden is netted, also made a pvc pipe framed cage for my blueberries, then netted
Theres some good bargain pricing if the offcut sizes suit your needs, its a bit of an additional cost but certainly pays off in the long run
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 4:39pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Did anyone plant swift potatoes, are they coming up ? There is a recall on them down here as someone has sprayed them with antisprouting spray !! Mine have been in the ground under a double layer of frost cloth and have not sprouted at all. Going back to Mitre 10 tomorrow and they will replace them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 3:15pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i planted jersy bennie they are comming up, all my tomatoes are planted,zucckini up, cucumbers up, carrots up, beetroot up, planted corn as soil temperature rising,we will see as early. put capscium seed down in green house,broccolii heading,last crop for season . beans on there way . at 8 to 9 dollars for cauliflowers and 5-7 for broccolii im clad i have the garden.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 3:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

For whatever reason I only did one planting of broccoli. Will leave the beans, sweetcorn and kumara a little longer
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 3:42pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In late July I asked re leaving capsicums chillis and peppers in. Based on Terry's feedback I gave it a go. Pleased to say they are all now coming away. Hard case given the Hamilton winter is a bit colder than most.
Cheers team.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 6:05pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to hear mate, our 3 year old capsi's havn't made it thru the winter, may have been too wet or just their time was up. The One yr olds in a different part of the garden however have done well
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 4:12am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

still picking aspargus ,yesterday 20 spears,new dwarf beans up, potatoes pumping, onions looking good,tomatoes comming along well, garlic thicking there stems, cucumber planted, about to pick last crop of broccolii, and the season is up and running.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 8:17am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well we've finally made a start in a area of the garden the previous owners had for a above group pool, hence the carpet.

Got some seeds for beefsteak tomatoes and runner beans in the ground as well as lettuce, tomatoes, capsicum, spinach seedlings. Got some of those New World my little gardens which have sprouted to go in too.

Bit more work on the netting to go but it's keeping the neighbour's F^&& cats out so far...

We've been told tomatoes don't like watering systems spraying down on them. Seems odd to us - that's what rain does isn't it? We're using fine misters not jets.

We've never been able to grow anything Countdown wasn't giving away by the time we were ready to harvest but keen to have a play and learn. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 8:45am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Our veges have been growing well. Except, since the temperature dropped recently (more like winter again), they have slowed markedly. When is summer do you reckon.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 12:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The rain does make the tomatoes wet but I guess the point is if they get wet often there is more chance of disease etc. The trick is to water the ground not the leaves. Mulch helps.

The cold spell did me no favours with most of my sweetcorn and dwarf beans failing to germinate.

The weather is going to warm up soon enough I think Letsget
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 12:58pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I guess the point is if they get wet often there is more chance of disease etc. The trick is to water the ground not the leaves. Mulch helps.

Cheers for that - makes sense.. I'll have a look at making some changes...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 4:43pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi guys ,if you put in tomatoes like russian red, early ,they can handle the wet and cold ,planting other varieties a bit later, and yes the cold has slowed things down ,but spuds are going for it, broccolli are doing well due to the cold weather, carrots are comming up but earlier seeds did not germinate ,beans are slow, great season for my asparagus, beetroot are going ,but slow to get away, corn as you said smudge slow ,next month hopefully, well thats gardening, i think the seasons have moved by a month. happy gardening guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 6:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

All my tomatoes, zucchini, beans kamo kamo are in
Seedlings of capsicum basil eggplant melon & others are coming on in the greenhouse, ready in a few weeks to plant out

I'm experimenting with a potassium fertilizer, made of about 2kg banana skins & comfrey leaves, steeped in rain water for the last 2 weeks, to grow flowers, to try & break the usual mad cycle growth of bushes of vines & leaves
My tomatoes are ready for picking about 2nd or 3rd week of Jan. Hopefully I can bring this forwards before xmas.... heard its possible doing the banana skin fert.... only time will tell eh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 7:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I make comfrey and banana skin fert too Rudy. I have flowers on a couple of my tomatoes and some on my courgettes. Spuds will be ready well before Xmas and the kumara are starting to perk up. I'll plant some more beans this weekend. One of my better gardens this year despite the challenges but considering the work I've put into it it should be!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 7:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Anyway. Hope to get the boat out for a trial run this weekend!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 8:36pm
Platinum
Platinum

smudge, what is your mixture for the banana comfrey fert, some say light tea colour, others say dump it as is & also 10:1 ratio
Page  <1 2021222324 25>