Garden chat

Page  <1 1920212223 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 12:43pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge, when opening a new foil packet of seeds reseal after use with a folded piece of sellotape over the foil bag making it like its never been opened then your seeds will last for years. I have seeds many years old still viable - just not parsnip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 1:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Joker, I'll do that
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 2:16pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats the way to go ,all my seeds are resealded once opened. well asparagus is comming up but best over the next few months, broccoilii and bok choy doing there thing ,new cauilflower starting to get going, chipping jersy bennie potatoes to plant and be ready for xmas, later main crops will be planted november and again january for winter spuds. have side shoots off my winter tomatoes planted in pots that will be planted in september. first year planting a herliom corn in late september, will save seed, its name is country gentleman , old variety that you can save seed, as new variaties f1 the seeds will not re sprout. but will grow the f1s in a new area so they do not cross pollinate. will see what the old corns like. have to go fishing .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 7:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I went on a slug and snail mission on Tuesday night. I have a rambling old garden, well two actually that are surrounded by pasture and all sorts of hidey places for slimy invertebrates. I collected 30 snails and about 200 slugs. I squashed the slugs and fed the snails to my chooks. Then I threw slug and snail bait everywhere. I'll go out tonight and see if I've made a dent. One broccoli plant had 5 slugs feasting on it, the others only 2 or 3. Grrrrr

Anyway, I planted some broccoli , radicchio & perpetual spinach seeds direct in the ground but none have popped up yet (the word is germinated Smudge) but in my little Mitre 10 plastic house I have had a good result (have you noticed it's still cold Smudge?). 

I also have some heirloom tomato seedlings growing away, I've planted some sugar snap peas but wish I'd done that two months ago and I have spuds that may be ready to plant this weekend. My kumara patch is being prepared and the sweetcorn, beans, capsicum, courgette, pumpkin, lettuce, eggplant and herb areas are pretty much ready. My butterfly garden is doing ok it's approx 10sq m of swan plants.

I'm working on my compost heaps but that never stops.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 9:16am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Just my luck !!!

Have two jacaranda trees on the front lawn & have been battling frosts for about 8 yrs now by covering in frost cloth over winter, in the hope they may become frost hardy

Looked as tho may have finally won the battle after covering at the end of June onwards & as there had only been one mild frost,  decided to remove the cloth last night when surely the risk of frost damage or setback was over.

You guessed it .... when out to get the herald this morning to digest  the usual ongoing depressive news to be greeted by a bloody FROST !!!!

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 1:52pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

bazza when the frosts are over trim the dead wood back ,but not until we are into mid to late september,they are harder than you think. if they are young trees trim in october and feed them with a slow release fertilizer. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 7:49pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

All you keen gardeners out there with frost tender plants can rest easy as can gaurantee there will be no frosts this season & you can thank me for that due to the fact I reactivated the frost protection covers on the front lawn jacarander trees this afternoon !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 7:55pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive kept some of my previous crop spuds, hoping to use them for seed potatoes. But, even inside in the dark, they show no sign of sprouting. So, Ive bitten the bullet, and looked for buying seed spuds. Found in Bunnings, plenty. Buying a 1kg bag cost around $10; far too expensive, would be cheaper to buy spuds from Count down. Then I found Jersey Benne 3kg for $17 - and they were small so got 40 for $17, not bad. They have grown longer sprouts, and are going in the garden tomorrow.

The perpetual spinach and brocolli, been producing since March, still going. They are great in winter, as they dont rush to seed like in summer. 

Incidentally (nothing to do with gardening) - we bought a bath 6 years ago, had installed in our house (just purchased). Was steel with enamel. 3 years later, a piece of the enamel chipped off. I coudnt figure out why, thought someone (Not me of course) had dropped something on it. Anyway, a year later, another piece came off - it was rusting, badly, in several places. The rust pushed the enamel off. 
We are now replacing it with a new bath, plastic of course. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 8:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have re used my old spa bath as a planter for my egg plants. I have a layer of leaves then some sheep manure, some comfrey leaves, some compost, more sheep manure and another 200mm of compost. These had better be the best aubergines I've grown or I'm giving up! I'll have a good layer of mulch on top once the plants are established
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 11:14am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

first time growing carrots,started to pull sum today ,very nice crop.put more seed down so hopfully can have on going crops.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 4:12pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well springs early but wet, dwarf beans planted as a early crop comming up,apasargus first pick,i will be planting spuds as soon as they chip,broccoli and cauliflower third crop a little slow but ok. get planting. but fishing is still f,ed as of wind and rain,it will be soon fingersx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 5:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, beans already?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 2:45pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

tomatoes are comming up 4 varieties russian red ,amish, mandame ,i not sure of that spelling,plus oxheart, some for pickling and burgers on saturday nights. for got 1 money maker that make 5, planted beetroot today we will see, but loving this years aparagus ,early but the next few weeks will give a large crop yummy. grow not buy,5 to 6 months of fresh veg over summer and then your winter crops, a little time weekly gives you free veg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 4:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've got 3 lots of tomatoes, chef's choice, some old variety that grows big whoppers that I got from a workmate. I kept some seeds from them - his heaviest was 930g, mine was 630g. I've also got some cherry tomatoes. Only things really growing well so far though are brocolli, brussel sprouts (no sprouts just healthy looking plants but I think they were way too late & lettuce, parsley and the like. Everything else is just seedlings really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 3:08pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well, asparagus are full on, picked 20 spears today, gave 20 odd to my neighbours  2 days ago. lot more comming up. to buy them they are about 7 buks for around 7 spears. i will get around 6 more weeks plus from my crop. love the garden. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 7:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Do you mind sharing how to grow asparagus Lingee? I grew some once and got some but it didn't really flourish after that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 5:00am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

place crowns 100 mil under soil in a raisedbed,fertilizer with a slow release every 3 months. plus liquid fert,as seaweed. once a month in spring. end of autumn when fronds have turned brown cut off a ground level cover bed with compost about 50 mil deep. you can start picking in year 2 but only a few over 3 weeks, year 3 and on you pick for about 6 weeks. remember once the shoots comming up are pencil thick stop picking.its a low maintaince crop, compost winter ,picking spring,trimming autumn. hope that helps mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 5:03am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ps plant 5 crowns per person in the house ,you will find seeds drop from fronds in to bed that all good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 6:28pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Wow, beans already?

Has always been a puzzle to me as to why home gardeners in Greymouth enjoy their bountiful meals of green beans well before we deprived Jaffas do !!!

WHY ??????????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 10:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

place crowns 100 mil under soil in a raisedbed,fertilizer with a slow release every 3 months. plus liquid fert,as seaweed. once a month in spring. end of autumn when fronds have turned brown cut off a ground level cover bed with compost about 50 mil deep. you can start picking in year 2 but only a few over 3 weeks, year 3 and on you pick for about 6 weeks. remember once the shoots comming up are pencil thick stop picking.its a low maintaince crop, compost winter ,picking spring,trimming autumn. hope that helps mate.

Thanks Lingee, sounds good. How much area do you recommend for a small family?

Page  <1 1920212223 25>