Garden chat

Page  <1 1718192021 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Surprised they are a problem in your neck of the woods. I like mynas because they pollinate my feijoas. Rock pigeons have never been a problem for me in my garden but they are a very invasive bird for both farmers and city folk. Sparrows are a pest IMO. Magpies have never been a problem in my garden either, although I do control them.

I set traps every day for rats and mice. I'm not a fan of poisoning but strangely when I was poisoning hard out I had one rat get on my boat and it did a lot of damage. It also died after that. I do lots of pest control & surrounded by farm land it just never ends.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Anyway! I have three pink feijoa trees that I grew from seed off a fruit I got from an orchardist mate in Gisborne. They are now three years old and one finally has buds. I don't expect any fruit this time, but next year! Certainly something different, but in the meantime the weeds get bigger and bigger Big smile.  Still getting capsicums.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 7:41pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

i plant my garlic in about april early may ,that way they get there roots down and spring away in spring ,yes only nz garilc ,liquid fertilile 2 times a month ,or a 3 month fert around mid septmber, god luck

Where are you getting the bulbs? I have tried to buy some but no go, ended up sprouting and planting bulbs I bought to eat. Not sure if they will produce
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 5:04am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've used garlic from the supermarket before. It worked ok, don't think I'd bother with chinese garlic but you never know
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 6:01am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i get nz garlic from local veg shop ,but garlic is a hard crop to grow ,it needs a lot of organic matter, im learning more each year. only use the large bulbs .ginger is a great crop,we get more than we need yearly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chris_gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:17am
chris_gee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What about pukekos. Started with 2 in area.Now 6-8 due to inbreeding. They just uproot seedlings. Grr
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i get nz garlic from local veg shop ,but garlic is a hard crop to grow ,

Never had any problems in the last garden.. but had a good 30yrs compost dig in.
 I put them in the fridge for couple days or so then split the bulbs to corms (think called) then planted them about 1cm from the surface.. yeah only use the big corms.. thu they dont take much space so I planted them all anyway. Platt them into bunches to store, like do with onions
 Yep from veggie shops and supermarkets.. The NZ ones are the brown dirty looking.
 The white ones dont grow.. made that mistake yrs back. Chinese/imported, been bleached nuked nuetred castrated etc.

Think y throw a few in this new garden , haven't grown for yrs.
Ginger tried 1/2 heartily years ago, not very successful.. we eat a bit of ginger... goes a long way.

A real curious one, espec if have children, if can get live peanuts.. They grow into a little bush then send out tentacles that borrow into the grown, and the peanuts form on the end like potatoes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:58am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Garlic suffers a lot from rust, never had much of it before but it seems to be more prevalent so I haven't grown it for 5 years or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 6:34pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Garlic suffers a lot from rust, never had much of it before but it seems to be more prevalent so I haven't grown it for 5 years or so.

If have rust, a fungus, you will have it on a lot of other veggies fruit trees and plants as well.. eg silverbeet.
Not hard to eliminate, copper...light but good coverage at the start of the season.. follow instructions and you will eliminate for next few yrs nps.
I used to have over 250 roses, several bloodlines where prone to rust, others orange and yellows black spot fungus. Follow instruction for 2 yrs min  amount and problem sorted for next few yrs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 5:21am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I don't like to use copper sprays, I believe they harm the environment much like the old school stuff that people used to spray around so I put up with the rust.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 9:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Old school ppl just poured these chemicals on without any concern for over spray and concentration and amount ingredient per area.. as I mentioned above... and still do...
 Classic example are the contractors spraying kerb edges on burns...way too much and why too wide.. and bet they just dump rather than measure .....And never read the full agricultural manual l to realise they should only be mixing at 3/4 full dose.

Secondly is  most soils will lack in certain trace elements... and yes arsenic, now banned is one, NZ soils tend to lack in many trace elements ..Selenium, iodine, chromium.. think fluorine is another.. the history of central nth island is interesting... couple bags , think was selenium dropped over the whole area and suddenly grass for farming was possible.
Others like Epsom salts, a spoon full in a bucket water every couple yrs around citrus trees  sorts a lot issues.
Others like copper, iron etc also get added to soils to create good balance for crops.. crops that produce healthy foods.

Just like animals, humans require a balanced diet , so do plants...
An other classic was lack iodine in NZ soils.. lack that in our diet results in goiter or gout (cant rem which. Upto the 1920s NZ had a pandemic of the deases.. then we added it to salt.. pandemic ended withing a yr. Then around the 1980s, government decided free choice.. and the deasie has re emerged in our hospitals.

So yeah there is a strong case for many of these sprays etc.. on the other hand very often its 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater.' due to miss use , and far too commonly on the extreme side.

And how do I know this crap? (like other crap)
At school in the 50s and 60s we learnt about the history of the central nth island and issues returning solders had on the land granted to them after the WW1.. Add to that 20 odd yrs breeding Austrailan and NZ parrots...where diet etc is critical to good results...And research that stuff one comes across other interesting stuff.. throw in The NZ agricultural chemical manual on my manuals book shelf in my office.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 11:59am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

a lack of iodinecauses goiter and I understand that's why we have iodised salt. Any, back to my garden - the weeds are growing bigger and bigger!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 2:36pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what i do to the garden beds is all our egg shells are spread over the beds that over two or so months indrouce callium into the soil,plus adding all left over veg stems etc to the garden adding the balance of nitrogen etc. i use sea weed as a liquid fert, my beds are full of worms and produce yearly with fresh veg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 6:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Lingee. Because I have a rather strong gurnard obsession and autumn is my favourite time to fish (I feel another post coming on), then autumn morphs into winter and before you know it the days are short and I leave for work in the dark and get home in the dark so my winter garden has been a no go for many years. 

Well today I pulled out millions of weeds (you're exaggerating again Smudge), dug over a portion of my plot and planted broccoli, brussel sprouts (ironic that they love the cold and I was only wearing a singlet in these balmy climes), spring onions, carrots, spring onions & garlic. That took up only 10 sq metres so I planted another 15 or so in wheat to dig in a little later on.

Picked some capsicums and carrots and as I do most days fed some greens to my chooks. Got to love the country life but I did have to throw around a whole lot of snail & slug bait to give the new seedlings a chance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 6:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

How are the gardens going? My broccoli and Brussel sprouts are starting to show some enthusiasm but I think I left them a month too late. I planted some garlic about a month ago, that's looking good so far and I'm hoping plenty of sawdust mulch will keep the rust at bay.

I've also put in some tiny spinach seedlings, probably too  small to plant out but I guess I'll find out. I've prepared a potato patch - when can you plant them? My seedlings should be ready in a couple of weeks. Too early? Only parsley, silverbeet, mint, rhubarb and thyme left now.

What do you guys have that you can harvest?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 6:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Forgot to add, I've made a mini worm farm, made some borage/comfrey fertiliser, have about 100 litres of sheep poo and water for a nitrogen booster, the fruit trees are pruned and the non productive ones chopped down - all ready for smoking up treats! I have apple, plum, peach, feijoa & grape. Anyone used grape for smoking?

I've put down sawdust around my plants as a mulch. I am using a bio friendly oil for my chainsaw. The plum and apple trees I've chopped down were pretty big so I guess in a couple of years I'll be tired of smoked fish Big smile

Having spent all day talking bs with mates and gardening, I'm regretting not going for a gurnard session today. Can't do everything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 5:07am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

im the same garden sorted ready for spring. been eating broccilii and cauliflower, lifted my ginger not a bad crop it will last a year. 2nd crop broccolii comming along and carrots ok. 1 cabbage left will eat half tonight. i plant potatoes in 2nd week of september and then a late crop around december. put sheep and goat poo on aspargus beds they love that early kick in spring. 1st bed is 6 years old and 2nd bed 3 years old ,they will be there when im gone ,beds last 35-50 years a great crop with little to do to them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:06am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

IVe found that, in our (Whangaparaoa) warm winter climate, brocolli and spinach grows better in winter than other times - and they dont like hot summer, tend to go to seed. Plant seedlings late March, they are still growing and cropping during July. Next lot of seedlings, just planted mid July, look ok; providing keep the sparrows off them (brocolli is their favourite tucker).  
Ive been experimenting with autumn/winter potatoes crop. Planted end March - was a good rain soon after, and I did some watering; so the plants grew really well. By about end Jun, the foliage was going off, assumed was too cold to continue. Result, got worthwhile potatoes, but many (presumably the later ones to develop) did not size up. Very nice tiny spuds, but not much yield.
Basically, I assume they need to be planted earlier than end March. Problem is drought usually through March and even in to April.
The last crop of onions (grown Nov-Feb), grew extremely well - but after being lifted and stored, many (about 60%) have developed rot in the centre.. THere was a heavy rain just before being lifted, which is probably the main problem - but I am still learning about the nuances o0f onion growing. ONe thing I did, cut the tops off the foliage - assume thats a non-no, as lets the fungal spores inside. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 11:23am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Why no worms ??????????

The land our house is on seems to be devoid of worms even in the likely places such as under pavers or in
the compost bin.

Have on occasion dug 50 or more from else where & put in the compost. Turning over the compost 3 or 4 days later reveals some worms in residence but after about a week ... nada !

Have on occasion dug 50 or more from else where & put in the compost. Turning over the compost 3 or 4 days later reveals some worms in residence but after about a week ... nada !

Admittedly these are simple earthworms & composting varieties are available but at $60 for cluster would be rather expensive experiment ... besides would not have enough individual names to call them.

Google tells me ph, temperature & moisture content are important factors but they all seem to be ok .....
so ...WHERE ARE THE WORMS ???????????????????????
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 1:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Possibly your soil (and compost) is too acidic? Most compost info on the internet says not to overdo citrus in compost bins.
Page  <1 1718192021 25>