Garden chat

Page  <1 1617181920 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 1:28pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We got a bit of snow back in the foothills overnight [that will crank up the stags roaring lol] it will be gone in 24hrs but its a nice reminder winter is on its way...  bottling and making relish from the last of the beetroot this afternoon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 9:48am
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

over the past few weeks it seems i have got on top of the caterpillers . I used a yates product natures way fruit and vege gun , low toxic natural pyrethrum. used twice one week apart and from then on have been squashing any i find.. garden now looking almost good again . I have two areas and in one i left some plants to go to seed , i now have silverbeet , spinnach , pak choi , lettuce all growing well and having done no prep or planting other than thinning and adding compost and blood and bone on top and some grass clippings. will definatly look at self seeding more in the future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 9:58am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My garden is now a weed garden which isn't great but thats how it is fopr me at this time of the year. Making life difficult for myself Big smileI still have silverbeet, lettuces, capsicums, rhubarb and herbs
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 10:27am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by lawabidingpoacher lawabidingpoacher wrote:

over the past few weeks it seems i have got on top of the caterpillers . I used a yates product natures way fruit and vege gun , low toxic natural pyrethrum. used twice one week apart and from then on have been squashing any i find.. garden now looking almost good again . I have two areas and in one i left some plants to go to seed , i now have silverbeet , spinnach , pak choi , lettuce all growing well and having done no prep or planting other than thinning and adding compost and blood and bone on top and some grass clippings. will definatly look at self seeding more in the future.

Bunnings current garden booklet (free) advises using crushed garlic in water as a spray to guard against white butterflies which are actually moths I am told as well as along with most other insect predators ... worth a try I guess as a lot cheaper option than commercial alternatives ... plus is organic.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 3:12pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

derist dust is ok, but yep a year for white butterfly, i spray with neem oil its a goody but its only a contact spray. broccilli are getting hammered as the cauiliflowers, still have my last crop of drawf beans flowering and starting to set beans, onions are pumping , picking the butternuts and pumpkings around 20 odd ,carrots are comming up,thining them is a bit of work , cabbage going well. 2nd lot of broccoil about to go in soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 4:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I still haven't started my winter crops but at least I'm feeding the remnants from summer to my sheep. I really do need to go back to my bigger garden. 200 square metres should do it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 8:40pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a rat shet growing season just gone.
Too much ego where I grew too much, had shading issues & not enough hands on in the garden when it was needed
In one of my clever moments at the time, I thought I would grow my cucumbers upwards on some steel mesh, wasnt much of a yeild, then hit by some sort of fugal disease including mildew. This also shaded my boysenberries & with a good dose of passion vine hoppers, basically lost the entire crop

The tomatoes were golf ball size, last season were like oranges size, plus other crap going on that didnt help do any good to the garden. I grew gold nugget heirloom cherry toms for the first time, the 2 plants gave back shet loads over the growing season, so, quite lucky there in the end
My blackberries, as always, gave back heaps, no fussing with other than feeding when I remembered with fish/seaweed fert

While walking our dogs at Kakamatua on the Manukau harbour, there were a heap of that bloody green seaweed... its like grass, bloody hate the red stuff while kayak fishing the Manukau
So.... I loaded up the car & took it home, 3 car loads of the stuff, easily 150kg of it, luckily only a 12min drive to Cornwallis from home, so easy access to it
Before slapping it on the garden, I applied the Burnets brand of Green crop manure seed mix, then a 3-6in layer of the seaweed.
Its the first time using a cover crop & fresh seaweed, hopefully a better growing season when the weather warms up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice, never tried seaweed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 4:55am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There was an old lady that lived on Queens pde devonport,everyday she would trundle to the beach and bring back kelp and the bubble weed,her garden there was nothing that wouldnt grow,we al thought as children she was a witch. Turned out filthy rich ,owned building up on K d and on her passing left the entire wealth to the nz ballot co.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 9:15am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you have to wash the salt out?
Peas are well up.. plant dwarf in a patch and climbing snap wherethe tomatos are.
3 squares of beetroot at different stages, as same broccoli and cali.
Not going to do broad beans this yr

Had a rat hole in the top of the compost month back.. Got bit slack on the routine annual autumn poison drop this yr.  Set a couple large traps in the top of the compost bin...didnt get anything.
Having had extensive aviaries and 80 to 120 parrots...and hens. rats mice where a routine maintenance thing
I get block of rat poison, then cut them into 1/8s and drop behind , in tight cnrs, places cats dogs birds cant get to. As each 1/8 block disappears , a new 1/8 replaces until doesnt disappear anymore. Usually 4 to 6 days.  From then I just observe   for next  few weeks and replace if need. A block can sit for a month or or more.
Any way havnt had to replace any for couple months now.

Touched up lawn weeds, this is the time of yr and onehunga prickles  and many other broad leaf weeds sprout. 5ml in a 750ml hand spray bottle did the whole section plus neighbours and burns... and still had 1/2 bottle left over. .. thats just under 2.5ml , covering near on 1000 sq m
 Really annoys me how ppl use these sprays just willy nilly,..   combine every evil  from over spray to way to concentrated, and the spray laid down way too thick... and each of those in its self results in waste and contamination...and are proud of it.
l

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 8:10pm
Gold
Gold

Just be careful Steps as rats will take the bait away and store it somewhere and if a dog finds the pile and eats it ... very sick or dead dog. You are best to place the blocks in a proper poison bait station where the rat cannot remove the bait blocks. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 8:12pm
Gold
Gold

No I dont wash the seaweed , just straight on the garden, bury it and it rots down fairly fast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 4:32am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

There was an old lady that lived on Queens pde devonport,everyday she would trundle to the beach and bring back kelp and the bubble weed,her garden there was nothing that wouldnt grow,we al thought as children she was a witch. Turned out filthy rich ,owned building up on K d and on her passing left the entire wealth to the nz ballot co.

Completly off topic(sorry) But theres a few here that roamed Devonport.Through F/B found out her name Ivy Goodson and she owned the buildings that "Rainton Hasty" use to operate the pink pussy cat etc
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just be careful Steps as rats will take the bait away and store it somewhere

Yes thats why the blocks have holes to put nails thru into heavy block of wood.
 Originally did that back when 1st got the hen house and aviaries. A block would dissapear over night..We located a couple nests. They had learnt to nibble way then break the bits block off and take to the nest.
 Not only a risk to dogs etc but go thru a lot of bait, which leaves a lot of bait laying around in the area.

Was then suggested to us to just drop not much more than a few nibble sizes...and replace when gone.
Located several nest over the yrs, and old nests. No stock piles of the brand we where using, several having other brands of blocked bait that we did not use.

Edit:  I should add, one of our best breeding female Crimson Parrots got into the satey caged area, where we lay bait. Eat a whole 1/8 block.
 Just a nibble is enough to kill a rat or bird.
Gutted..
 Had a very helpful and friendly local Vet gave us a few Vit K tabs for small dog or cat.
These I opened and divided proportionally to the weight of the Crimson with a blade on a bit of glass. Mixed with butter, then stuck to one off cage bars. Birds love butter.
We the vet all thought she was going to die for sure...
We all watched for signs, no way was she going to suffer over the next few days.
Ended up we all stressed out , she didnt show any signs and the vet reconed we got the high doses of Vit K into her ... plus raw palm oil Which is high in Vit K was a part of their weekly regular diet

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 10:49am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

So make sure the rats don't get into the palm oil Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chris_gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 1:27pm
chris_gee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A disasterous seaason for me. Various problems including localised long drought. Cucumers less than 10% of normal, tomatoes tiny. I grow  a small amount of corn because the quality is much better. When about to harvest rats ate the lot overnight.
I notice as well as high prices, store quality was worse than usual eg brown corn cobs!! Never seen that before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If dont like to read this long story, you dont have to.. go back to your mills and boon
Rats...and mice
 In the towns/ cities we didnt have vermin exterminators...
Back in the 50s thru to around mid 70s from memory, damn near every household around early/ mid march went down to the local council buildings and sourced for free rat poison. Cant rem if traps where also supplied or free.
 It was just a normal part of house/ home maintenance like cleaning gutters, washing the house, mowing lawns etc.
Every now and then vermin would pop their head up, but with near the whole community/ town just doing what has been done for centuries...there was hardly ever a problem.
In saying that I do rem , maybe mid 60s papatoe have a large unexpected issue.. not on a  plague standard thu...I dont know if other places where effected.

So rats mice where hit hard by the community each yr , supported by the council...on top of that many ppl maintained through out the yr as well, espec if had composts and or hen houses.
 And yeah back then with 1/3 to 1/4 acre sections every 3 or 4th house/home had one or both

Now we move to our enlightened 21 st century.
 Rather than prevent an issue, like water in the roof because of the weed garden growing in the spouting... ... we wait till the house gets mould, rots , needs replacing, than simply clean the spouting.
or wait till see a sign of rats, that has taken couple yrs to actually notice, like got into the seats of your hot rod, or caused a fire in the home, or wrecked the wiring in your boat.

I noticed yesterday, one of the baits behind the compost has disappeared.. all of the others, cnrs of the fences, under the house, wood pile, behind the shed freezers, and the few crumbs of bait in the boat bulge remain untouched.

Borrow a hunting thermel viewer, and look around the fruit and nut tress in your neighbour hood and thing get put into serious perspective.

Thats enough them.. its the local flying rats thats the local issue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 2:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

What are they Steps? Sparrows?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 3:19pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i plant my garlic in about april early may ,that way they get there roots down and spring away in spring ,yes only nz garilc ,liquid fertilile 2 times a month ,or a 3 month fert around mid septmber, god luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:01pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps wrote:

What are they Steps? Sparrows?

Sparrows, thrush , blackbirds , fantails, tui pick out the grubs caterpillars etc...

no
pigeons 2nd on the list magpies, 3rd myna...
Page  <1 1617181920 25>