Garden chat

Page  <1 1516171819 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 8:13am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

still picking dwarf beans capsicums and zucckinni, season comming to the end. hardening off cauliflower and broccolii seedling,first cauliflowers doing ok,but this wind this summer has been no good for east coast fishing.hope winters better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 4:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well I ran out of household water about 4 hours ago. Luckily I still have about 2000 litres in IBC's that I use for garden water and for my sheep and birds. The water is clean and the IBC's haven't had anything hazardous in them so I spent an arm breaking, shoulder wrenching two hours bucketing water into the household tank. It should have started raining by now but nope!

Going to hose down at sometime tonight, so I can plant some lettuce seedlings, the sweetcorn will hopefully fatten up, the courgettes and cucumbers may get another week, the rhubarb will be smiling and my 100 or so swan plants just may grow some leaves back.

The 4 feijoa trees will be pretty happy to as will my 6 guava trees. More importantly though I will get some nice fresh grass growth for my sheep. I think I'll get enough rain by Thursday to fill up both my house water tanks.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 6:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Big, Heavy, Drops of rain started here at 6.00pm. The catchment area is now well wetted and my water tanks will be starting to fill. I probably have enough already to put the dishwasher on Big smileand will be able to have a shower in the morning, which is a very good thing. I can hear my garden singing it is so happy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 3:25pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep in went my onions today,first 70 and tomorrow the rest about a hundred or more, still will need watering over the next few weeks,good news is im off to otama in a few weeks fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 3:47pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The initial Sunday down pour only wetted the top 1 1/2" of soil.. and filled the 2 ibc s of the shed roof.. just, and dumped that on the garden.
 Then a few isolated down pours and wet nights over last 3 days down around the 4" + mark..

So picked up a cali, broccoli, leeks beetroot punnets this arvo ...patches ready to cover in compost then plant.
 Broad beans and pol choy will have to wait as still got tomatoes and beans stop cropping.
Going to change to a fertilizer with  higher Potassium this season.

Anyone noticed (I assume many have rain gauges,) that around 70%+ rain drops at night?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 11:23am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yepp in Auckland at least.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 8:18am
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Caterpillars
have just been out to the vege patches this morning , first time for a few days and the plants are nearly totally gone  , with only stalks on most . On looking at the ones which still had growth i found literally hundreds of caterpillers and yellow eggs . These arn't the common green caterpillars of norm but brown with an almost yellow and black stripe down each side . google point me to doc website and shows them to be of the great white butterfly .. anyone else have these and what controll do you use ? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 9:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I rem something about these down nelson way 10yrs or so ago. Maggie Barry was minister back then and made big deal about having eradicated it as being a very serious pest ???

Bottom line these serious pests often means going serius methods..
like a systematic pest killers.. chemical goes into the plants blood/ sap system and anything that eats the plant dies
 Other than that I would be laying down a good amount of deris dust for now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 2:07pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by lawabidingpoacher lawabidingpoacher wrote:

Caterpillars
have just been out to the vege patches this morning , first time for a few days and the plants are nearly totally gone  , with only stalks on most . On looking at the ones which still had growth i found literally hundreds of caterpillers and yellow eggs . These arn't the common green caterpillars of norm but brown with an almost yellow and black stripe down each side . google point me to doc website and shows them to be of the great white butterfly .. anyone else have these and what controll do you use ? 

Give the g/kids or whatever an old tennis racquet each & tell them they will get 20 cents for each 20 butterfly they swat & a bonus of 20 cents for every caterpillar squashed.

To maintain enthusiasm at the end of the day conduct an Olympic games award & gold medal!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 2:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Prices have gone up Bazza. I had to pay a local kid $10 for a turkey chick! And that was 10 years ago Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 2:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Anyone want some free turkeys???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 6:11pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Prices have gone up Bazza. I had to pay a local kid $10 for a turkey chick! And that was 10 years ago Big smile

Was that a young turkey or a chick from Turkey ???
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 4:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

And the rain is sweeping in!  More grass for my sheep and my guava trees will love it.  I expect we won't get much over the next couple of days but early next week we will get a soaking & I wont have to worry about water until December. In the meantime I'll be able to complain about the weather Big smile

I'm planning on a winter garden this year. Not sure what just yet but options are obviously limited.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 5:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

If I get 5mm this week I'll be happy, that's all I need to see me through until next week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 5:29am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cauilflower broccoli carrots bok cho cabbage i have in now with more for later planting. bought a lot of herlioom seeds from kings seeds.looking at saving the seeds from the plants,a bit of work tho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 8:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm planning on a winter garden this year. Not sure what just yet but options are obviously limited.

That a question?
As I know your garden..
 Plant out 1/2 in lupins, then dig in just before seeds mature.

Other 1/2
 Like Lingee suggests.. plant out every 4 weeks or so a few of his suggestions, enough to see thru to the next maturity plus bit more. And excess goes to the freezer.
 I have also planted leeks and beetroot
If have a lot of small stones, stay way from carrots as the deform, like good clean sandy soil
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 10:28am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes I'm going to plant lupins or mustard. I've grown all that stuff before so I'll probably grow garlic, leeks, carrots etc. Never tried brussel sprouts, maybe it will be cold enough for them. Slugs and snails are relentless  when surrounded by grassy paddocks but I may try some brocolli
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 8:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to grow Brussel sprouts when got reasonable frosts in Sth Auckland decade or so ago.
Then messed with a couple varieties developed for milder winter.. sorta worked, but after a few winters gave up.
Garlic likes a good chill, they say plant shortest day, but think thats an old wives tail now. What I had been doing is put in the fridge for a few days, end april /may, then plant.
I used to do that with bulbs in the flower gardens, Got that out of an old gardening book yrs ago.. just applied to most winter bulbs regardless now.
The garlic to get is the NZ grown thats brownish colour from green grocer.. not the white stuff, Thats usually imported bleached and doesnt sprout , and if does doesnt do well.

mustard:  Was mentioned by someone above its a brassia ( didnt know that)...So can mess up spring rotation of crops...never grown mustard.

Peas are a good crop, fix nitrogen add good fiber in the soil. Have been thinking about trialing a few plants of the a few of the ground growing variates the commercial ppl use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 9:29am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Peas are a good option, didn't consider them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 1:25pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here is a damn good site I visit for crop growing advice

Page  <1 1516171819 25>