Garden chat

Page  <1 1112131415 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 12:58pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

now your talking scuzzymoto. Awesome. A guy on you tube Charles Dowding on this episode on
Creates a hot bed for germination using straw in the corner of his green house. An idea that could work well in NZs climate.

Send pics on progress mate ! đź‘Ť

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 5:34pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keith C,

Is that a Black Russian.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 8:16pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Keith C,

Is that a Black Russian.

No idea. Got them online from Awapuni as heirloom which “may include black krim, potentate, bloody butcher and Russian red”.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 9:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, impressive stuffs happening in those backyards!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:22am
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All gardens appear to be going well!  dose anyone have a try'd and proven recipe for pickeling quecumber  capsicums  and chillies ? or other methods of preserving ? thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 12:32pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We cut de-seeded capsicum into strips, bag and freeze. They last well.
Can’t comment on other too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 3:21pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

proven recipe for pickeling quecumber  capsicums  and chillies ?

1st thing is beg buy or borrow one of the older versions of the Edmonds cook book.. prefebly 50/60s thu 70s ok..

They are "proven recipes"
 Then as you try them  you end up modifying here and there.. white vinegar for brown, change sugar a bit, add beans , cali and stuff..

Chili and capsicum relishes  etc.. OH and Chili jam is to die for, espec on beef and venison.

Summer dry Garden...climate changing
As I have mentioned before I dont water the veggie garden...
Well last yr about this time after most tomatoes etc cropped ..and planting out with lack water doesnt work very well.
This yr unless I water huge, time etc its even worse and next yr think maybe even more so.
 So I have between thinking... many ppl cant grow crops because of seasonal snows and stuff...Maybe I should be thinking like them except rather than snow, dry ground.
Plant up around  late summer early autumn, and grow crop hard thru to late spring. Then like this yr, let everything keep on growing and cropping till they run out of water.. (????)
Will still more than enough for our preserves, stock the freezer and needs....
Maybe we will have to think more about adapting to climate changes than fight them... less stressful.

Oh dwarf beans , tomatoes, chillis capsicum brocli few other bits all still cropping ok...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:52pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

We cut de-seeded capsicum into strips, bag and freeze. They last well.
Can’t comment on other too.

thanks , done half a bucket of capsicums , jalapeno and long chillie peppers , deseeded and sliced ,  vacuum packed and into  freezer , will see how they go.   also bottled peaches and passsion fruit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 6:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have always.. 40 odd yrs now, for cali, beans broccoli, capsicums chilli .. everything.. Break down into pieces as if going into the pot... lay on trys in the freezer, then bag into bread bags.
As crop and freeze , the bags fill up..

Been down the blanching road and vac pac.. never found the need.

Another batch tomato relish soaked over night, on the stove now.. using up the stuff  not frozen but in the veggie draw in the fridge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 7:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

proven recipe for pickeling quecumber  capsicums  and chillies ?

1st thing is beg buy or borrow one of the older versions of the Edmonds cook book.. prefebly 50/60s thu 70s ok..

They are "proven recipes"
 Then as you try them  you end up modifying here and there.. white vinegar for brown, change sugar a bit, add beans , cali and stuff..

Chili and capsicum relishes  etc.. OH and Chili jam is to die for, espec on beef and venison.

Summer dry Garden...climate changing
As I have mentioned before I dont water the veggie garden...
Well last yr about this time after most tomatoes etc cropped ..and planting out with lack water doesnt work very well.
This yr unless I water huge, time etc its even worse and next yr think maybe even more so.
 So I have between thinking... many ppl cant grow crops because of seasonal snows and stuff...Maybe I should be thinking like them except rather than snow, dry ground.
Plant up around  late summer early autumn, and grow crop hard thru to late spring. Then like this yr, let everything keep on growing and cropping till they run out of water.. (????)
Will still more than enough for our preserves, stock the freezer and needs....
Maybe we will have to think more about adapting to climate changes than fight them... less stressful.

Oh dwarf beans , tomatoes, chillis capsicum brocli few other bits all still cropping ok...

Has it really snowed in Waiuku Steps? Sorry I'm finding id difficult to understand this
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 8:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Really Smudge?
Too many double browns by 8 pm?
I (we)  who have seasonal no rain/ dry ground..
 Them who have seasonal snow  and them is pretty damn obvious to you "we " have dry ground no rain.
I didnt mention area, but to places with no rain dry ground Which is now most NZ.
Take a look at the daily  historical moisture charts released by NIWA think it is..

Think a comment on the concept would be far more constructive to the idea???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 9:39am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

How many is too many Lion Browns Steps? Nope don't resort to that. Crikey, I couldn't make out what you were trying to say is all Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:05pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Important part.. If we are going to dry out so much over summer, espec from around Jan thru early march...
Maybe not plant out anything , just finish off cropping planted in spring, late winter.
 Then plant again in the autumn rains.. usually around 3rd week march.
 Let patches/ rows just rest and keep weeds at bay, or at least dont let go to seed. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:27pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no way. If you got good deep humus soil and a few layers of mulch, watering is very minimal even in the hottest NZ conditions. As mulch breaks down it releases moisture also. I planted a row or Brussel sprouts on the north side of lettuces peas etc to shade as they have large brassica leaves and grow well over a meter high. Another way is interplanting amoungst crops so they shade each other I’ve seen some good examples of this in the photos of this thread. A bit of planning and most things can be overcome  
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

You guys have it over me there.I just don't have enough mulch so I'm watering every day pretty much. Well not for the rest of this week at least after 60mm of rain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:59pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

people get confused about mulch also. The trick is various layers not just grass clippings, not just hay, or leaves, not just wood chip, not just compost. I often hear people say keep weed seeds out of garden be it weeds seeding or brought in weed seeds in tall grass mulch etc.that for people who leave bear earth or not deep enough mulch layers If your mulch system is working weed seed isn’t a problem even oxalis, couch grass etc won’t win. You won’t get weeds as the seed won’t get the soil or the sun/ light at the same time and in 2-3 weeks there is another layer of mulch.  You can use woody crops too like corn stems, broad bean steams dried climbing beans. Just chop a bit with clippers and make a even layer around crop. Then add a thin layer of clippings etc. rots down super quick. This also adds organic nutrients as when you harvest crops you take nutrients from your garden. Keep soil feed with breaking down mulch and you will get your results and weed free.
I guess I do spend time periodically mulching for better crops but better than having weeds….
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 5:16pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

first thing is that i keep droping out from the reply on all sites saying i need to re log in,im not happy. that a side, i put all winter leaves on my spring beds to let them work in with the worms, i up the beds with horse sh=t, i mix the beds up over the season WinkWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 5:54pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

first thing is that i keep droping out from the reply on all sites saying i need to re log in,im not happy. that a side, i put all winter leaves on my spring beds to let them work in with the worms, i up the beds with horse sh=t, i mix the beds up over the season WinkWink

Many of us have & still do experience that annoying login problem.

It can usually be rectified by messing about with the login function.

If that fails, which it does every so often then switching off your pc or device then restarting has always worked for me.

Good luck. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I don't know what do do with the login issues, mine is good but does give issues on different devices but I don't find it too cumbersome. Is that the problems you guys have?

Mulching certainly is a good thing and I like to use compost and shavings and chook poo from the hen house but my father in law has only been supplying treated wood shavings so I'm accumulating bags of the stuff. I'm going to chop down a huge plum tree soon and I'll give him some of that for his wood turning, there will still be enough left for 3 or 4 years of smoking wood so a good plan for next year.

A poultry expert on a lifestyle block forum says rather than clean out the coop often, just keep adding new wood shavings and change it once a year. So good for mulch and it works really well. I also use sheep manure for mulch & feeding but the corn stems get fed to sheep at this time of year and other scraps go to them or in the compost. I have heaps of grapevines - eight - so half of that new growth goes straight to compost too.

I use cardboard for pumpkins but that makes feeding them a little difficult. Plain shredded paper works well as mulch and composts down well but I don't like using stuff I can get from work. From my years in the printing industry I have a fair idea on how many chemicals go into paper/cardboard production. The paper industry is a terrible polluter on a major scale.

I'm going to add another 20 square metres or more to my garden over winter so I'll be back to what I once had and setting up a roadside stall if the family can't take it all as they currently can.

If I had more money and land I'd have a big as windbreak around my puny orchard and garden, but that's being a dreamer Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 7:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

What are your successes and fails this year?

My fails:

I bought sweet corn tonight despite having planted 100 plants. One planting didn't thrive, a bit too early. The second was 10 plants and finished those 2 weeks ago. The next isn't due for another two weeks because I ran out of garden space.

My pumpkins - I have ten fruit from 5 plants but only three are big. Not a major fail but due to poor preparation.

Tomatoes. I planted them over a 4 week spell. I should have pept going but once again, out of space.

Carrots, I just didn't try hard enough

Spuds I got a poor harvest. Not enough water. Easily the best plant was a container plant that got fed often and watered daily

Peas, planted in the wrong spot, not enough sun and I couldn't got water to them easily

My wins:

Eggplants! Finally after years on trying. The answer is feeding, mulch and every day watering. I only grew three plants so next year I'll grow more

Silverbeet, easy to grow always

Lettuce, just need regular water so they don't go bitter

Capsicums, never had a bad year

Beans, always reliable. I grow about 5 varieties

Herbs, too easy

Cucumbers, never had a good yield until I grew Lebanese ones this year.

Courgettes, yellow and green, many per day. Sheep and chooks eat what we dont or I give them away

Bok Choy, easy as. As is spinach. Perpetual spinach grows like crazy

Spring onions, too easy

a few others like radish and stuff my family don't like :(
Page  <1 1112131415 25>