Garden chat

Page  <1 89101112 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 4:23am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

garden pumping ,tomatoes starting to fruit 4 varieties,beef steak,oxheart,money maker and a oldie amish.had 15 corn down due to wind, beans great picking daily,first spuds stored,zuccini ,cucumber on there way, second beans,corn up capsicuins flowering, giving bean away great crop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 7:52am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, broccoli, cali, beetroot, dwarf beans, heart lettuces, radish  keep rolling into the kitchen for the last few months as the small approx 1m x 1m patches keep cycling over.
 Tomatoes, go to beef steak and money maker , hitting the kitchen now.. plants at head height now with 2nd crop just above the knee. Will not be long before crop enough to turn into tomato sauces and chuntneys  along with bits cali, broccoli, beans radishes.. 'left overs' that dont get frozen
Silver beet , well just always there

Capsicums and chilli , telegraph cucumbers, running a little slow.. bit late putting in..  Wife has a new  chilli jam recipe... yep jam as in strawberry jam.. to die for.. adjust heat by the balance between the capsicum and chilli weight.

Herb garden gone wild, keep under control with hedge clippers now.. just the basics.. pastley, sage, thyme, spring onion, chives, rosemary, Basel, native spinage

Old school hint here... Full moon in couple days, spread out the slug baits now on damp ground surface (if dry light water in the evening) They come out to breed, then die before laying the next lot eggs..

I have not planted sweet corn for yrs.. takes up too much ground for too long and .. well smudges problem above. Which usually happens if plant in rows rather than a square.
Or peas,  carrots, climbing beans, pumkins and water melons again lot space for cheap frozen..better use space and time for other veggies... espec our new garden now only 1/6 of the garden at our last home....lettuce almost makes the same, but needed for cycling crop types.

Planting in tight approx 1m x1m beds, and plant when rains, into a good 2" of at least 12 month old compost on top.. I dont water at all. Now have enough of the compost sticks and part 'digested' stuff from previous plantings compost layers in the soil to hold moisture... and no weeds at all to suck it out.. except tomatoes, cucumbers , pumpkin seeds that where put in the compost bin...no grass clipping go in the bins..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 5:26pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Garden pumping.
Already exhausting the neighbours so our free vegetables and herb street stall has been going well.
Most gone in a few hours.
It's certainly increased in covid times with increased numbers walking etc.
Our coriander last but moments.
We do put it out in stages over the day.
Newly retired wife is flat out processing for bottling, etc etc.
Yum.
Tomatoes doing well but nothing ripe yet.
The self seeding stuff has got out of hand so into the compost they go.
Overall, high temps above and below ground has given great results as the rest of you are saying.

M
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:05pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Envious of you guys getting tomatoes. My plants are knee high at best, late frosts are our problem, we had one in mid Nov. We have been eating new spuds [swifts] for a month now. Asparagus all finished for the season. Peas, lettuce, courgettes, carrots all coming in well, brocolli was average at best as I had a bit of clubroot. We are picking a 2 litre ice cream punnet of raspberries every day, often more. Strawberries also doing well. Cherries were covered early so the birds have missed out but the rain we are having are splitting them ggrrrr. 

Looking good, main crop spuds, brown and red onions, beetroot, corn and pumpkins. Fruit trees peaches, pears and apples [5 varieties] also well loaded. 

Good thread, I enjoy reading what others are doing Thumbs Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 10:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have tomato plants close to 2m tall, no ripe fruit yet though. Just over a week ago I ran over one of my rhubarb plats with the ride on. I trimmed off the damage and it only had two or three little stems left. With all the rain and warm weather it is almost ready to pick again. Sounds like you're doing really well down there Crayze
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 3:32pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well no fishing, bloody xmas .all my mates are pussies,to windy ,misses whats to go shopping. o well garden is pumping eating all sorts, yes you can say go by your self, no i can not, no way i can launch the boat by my self ,o well will get out there. go the gardenBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 7:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

well no fishing, bloody xmas .all my mates are pussies,to windy ,misses whats to go shopping. o well garden is pumping eating all sorts, yes you can say go by your self, no i can not, no way i can launch the boat by my self ,o well will get out there. go the gardenBig smile

Probably someone here to help with launching your boat Lingee! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 8:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

How are the gardens going? my attempt at the three sisters was a failure, mostly because I only planted sweetcorn and pumpkin together. My attempt at the two sister was an abject failure because the pumpkin was planted too early and smothered the sweetcorn. Should have seen that coming Smudgie - timing is everything.

Thankfully I am starting to get sustenance from my garden because right now the fish I'm getting - well that's enough for one night of munching Big smile

Spinach, silverbeet, herbs, tomatoes, spuds, capsicum, beans, lettuce, radishes, spring onions, eggplant, courgettes & cucumbers are plentiful and go well with the venison, turkey and lamb in the freezer. Well mostly venison (show off Smudge).

A question for you gurus though. How late do you plant certain vegies? I've just put in a yellow (possibly too late) and a green courgette seedling, a couple of cucumber plants, and some sweetcorn seedlings. I've had success before planting sweetcorn seeds on January 14 but they only just made it through. 

I'm particularly interested in planting late tomatoes. I have 14 plants all planted within a month of each other. Is it too late to put in a couple of small plants now?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 9:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Oops, I forgot the carrots. Biggest problem for me is water supply. I have 15000 litres for household use ( one month) and 1300 litres for my garden, which will last me a week. Then I'm screwed! The forecast rain is already looking to head south but no doubt we will get the extreme wind!  Angry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 9:18pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As much as I enjoy my gardening my tomatoes I have always been half arsed with.
Mainly cos my garden produces so many within my main garden due to compost imperfections.
Still always bucket loads.

So spent the time to concentrate on growing beefsteaks.
Was worth the effort . Crops are great.
Biggest one was 662 gm.
Impressive when the Vogel wasn't big enough for a slice.
Taste was brill.
And the others roast to sugar.
Garden in general is pumping well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 10:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

662g??? Wow, that is huge for a beefsteak. I have a giant variety and got a 630g from that. My beefsteaks aren't half that size
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 4:50pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As you can see Smudge, meaty as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:10pm
Gold
Gold

My 3 sisters of pumpkin tomatoes and corn ... the corn is good , the tomatoes are almost swallowed up by the pumpkins and the pumpkins are invading the main crop spuds, I am cutting the ends of the pumpkin to stop the invasion. We have got tomatoes but I would guess we are a month away from getting ripe ones.
What has done well, raspberries, cherries, strawberries, potatoes, lettuce, carrots and courgette .
What is looking good, grapes, apples, peaches, red and brown onions, basil, carrots, beetroot for relish, corn and cucumbers.
Just put more seeds in trays of red onion , lettuce, leeks. Carrots direct in the ground couple of days ago.
Yet to plant parsnips.

Great thread and get envious of your early growth up North.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

As you can see Smudge, meaty as well.

Wasn't doubting you at all Mattoo as I know you're a straight shooter. That is massive! What is your secret?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

My 3 sisters of pumpkin tomatoes and corn ... the corn is good , the tomatoes are almost swallowed up by the pumpkins and the pumpkins are invading the main crop spuds, I am cutting the ends of the pumpkin to stop the invasion. We have got tomatoes but I would guess we are a month away from getting ripe ones.
What has done well, raspberries, cherries, strawberries, potatoes, lettuce, carrots and courgette .
What is looking good, grapes, apples, peaches, red and brown onions, basil, carrots, beetroot for relish, corn and cucumbers.
Just put more seeds in trays of red onion , lettuce, leeks. Carrots direct in the ground couple of days ago.
Yet to plant parsnips.

It's all about making the most of what you've got RC. You must have horses otherwise you wouldn't grow parsnips Big smile

Water is a real problem for me as I'm using 100+ litres a day, it must be a struggle for you in dry old Canterbury unless you're on town supply?

I have 3600 litres  for my garden and birds but the rest of it has to come out of my tank. I really need 10 000 litres to see the garden through the summer. I will try to score another 7 or 8 IBC's before winter.

It takes me an hour to water my garden and I do that every day at the moment. 

Good to see you grow courgettes down there, I imagine capsicums would do well also

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 8:14am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

Yet to plant parsnips.

It's all about making the most of what you've got RC. You must have horses otherwise you wouldn't grow parsnips Big smile

Water is a real problem for me as I'm using 100+ litres a day, it must be a struggle for you in dry old Canterbury unless you're on town supply?

I have 3600 litres  for my garden and birds but the rest of it has to come out of my tank. I really need 10 000 litres to see the garden through the summer. I will try to score another 7 or 8 IBC's before winter.

It takes me an hour to water my garden and I do that every day at the moment. 

Good to see you grow courgettes down there, I imagine capsicums would do well also

Parsnips, horse feed ? Nah mate they are great roasted although my wife wouldnt agree, prison feed she would say, not that she has been in prison LOLLOL.

No problems with water here , just paying for it.Cry

We can grow courgettes [turn them into marrows easily Embarrassed] but I have tried 2x to grow capsicums but have had no joy... you just get a few measly ones right at the end of the season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 10:16am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Capsicums would probably need to be started early in a glass house then transplanted once the soil has warmed up and they are 150mm high or so.  Mind you I'm just guessing because I have no gardening experience down your way. I have problems if I plant them too early or too small, once they are established though they hang on for a long time up here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 2:59pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys, tomatoes comming out of my ears,5 varieties,corn been eating for the last few days with about 50 to go plus secound crop getting up there. zucckini picking dayley x3 plants.3rd crop dwarf beens pumping.runners are finishing. capisiums croping still a way off but they are in green house,3-5 on each plant x 11. friends are loving us fresh veg. potatoes are stored ,onions stored bad crop this year as garlic. celery so so.butter nuts low in crop to dry.lettuces 3 varieties ,great lakes and drunking women,etc. wierd namesSmile kumara plants ok
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 3:07pm
Gold
Gold

I will be growing those drunken women lettuces next year , a mate grows them and rates them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 4:42pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All good Smudge,
Was really just showing off as it's my best ever.
But also more meat and less seeds.

Secrets.
I don't do anything spectacular.
Always large volumes of compost and fertiliser and lime hoed in to half a meter.
Use lots of water.
Tied up,stems. Pinch my false leaders.
Biggest issue is birds.

Seems like there are some great crops from gardeners on here.
Page  <1 89101112 25>