Garden chat

Page  <1 45678 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 6:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

OK. How's the garden thing going? So far, I have runner & dwarf beans sprouting, silverbeet - I grow heaps of them as supplementary food for my chickens.  I've got lettuce and a couple of radishes, rhubarb, peas & carrots but that's about it apart from mint & parsley. I have heaps of other stuff waiting to sprout. Heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, Raddichio, sprouting broccoli, spring onions, pumpkin, capsicum & courgettes.

I have 3 IBC containers set up, 2 for my garden and one for my fruit trees. Ohhh yeah I have around 100 swan plants also. OK I'm a butterfly geek .Fruit trees? A red guava, a yellow guava, a pink guava - no fruit yet, a meyer lemon, 2 x mandarin, a grapefruit, an orange, a Louisa plum, a black Doris plum, a Christmas plum and a white fleshed peach x 3. Ohhh and about 5 grape vines.

What am i missing?

Ummm fish fertiliser?

Hehe yeah about 200L
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's the patch where I'm going to try the 3 Sisters thing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Just to keep the evil spirits out of the compostBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 12:39pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well I finally got a feed of asparagus.. all 3 spears of it and the longest bit was 4 inches long, if i didnt pick it the frost would of munted it the next night. More bloody snow on the mountains yesterday and last night so the frosts will go on for a while yet Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 5:48pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

geez smudge you sell yourself short. Garden looks great. Good luck with three sisters too.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 5:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Bugger, I tried growing asparagus once. Similar result. I give up on gardening once my water supply runs low and then over winter because the days are too short and the weekends are for gurnard fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:04pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

And now, after some green-fingered exercise you can bask in the glory of being as famous as an incredibly famous thing on this page Smudge Clap
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:11pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grunta' s eating carrots and tinned spinach again, aye aye Popye.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

And now, after some green-fingered exercise you can bask in the glory of being as famous as an incredibly famous thing on this page Smudge Clap

Hehe that reminds me of something Grunta, about 15 years ago I started a new job - where I am now. I was a forklift driver/despatcher on a 3 month trial. My boss introduced me to the team and one of them is a fishing.netter. My boss (a friend of mine) introduced me to one of them as Smudge and this guy was like wow, I've met someone famous! I was so embarrassed! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Grunta' s eating carrots and tinned spinach again, aye aye Popye.

Hehe you're pretty funny when you put your mind to it Mattoo! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 11:29am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well I'm envious of some of these gardens. Despite best efforts our attempts have been woeful. If we can beat the bugs and slugs and finally get something remotely looking worthy of picking, Countdown are giving it away.

It's not sensible from a financial aspect but for the joy and satisfaction of harvesting something and eating it within an hour or two, we're looking at one of the Vegepod things. 

Anyone had any experience of these?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 2:07pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the gardens the way to go,i have asaragus in for 5 years ,picking weekly for about 6 weeks,love it, beans comming up ,corn in,zucckinis up ,spuds up capsicums to be potted up , and it goes on ,all varieties of veg,a little work during the year and you produce veg all year, it only takes a bit of time when you have it sorted, its time to do it the way this counrty is going.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 4:09pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

It's not sensible from a financial aspect but for the joy and satisfaction of harvesting something and eating it within an hour or two
curious... what do you say to those who do not fish at all, then they see the vast fishing collection you have accumulated

Cant help you with the original question... they are popular tho
a lot of money just to grow greens & herbs

Find a sunny spot on your section, start building up the soil structure, compost & other stuff, this takes a long time.... you want a community of microbes & stuff in the soil, as your soil gets better, the things growing in it are able to fend things off for themselves
Keep your fish frames guts & heads, bury them deep, over time as they breakdown they add vital nutrience to the soil, which the plants grown in it will benefit.
Your local council does free composting workshops... when completed by you, they offer discounts on either a compost bin, bokashi or wormfarm, to help get you started
Anything that works well takes time, just like amending soil structure or learning to perfect your type of fishing method
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 6:45pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dagwood,
It's not financially beneficial for most.
It's not the point for home gardens.
It's the success in results, it's the learning and it's the great satisfaction in growing and then eating, eating is the win, complement with a herb garden and life is your food oyster.

Those pods, expensive, made of plastic, depending how you view that.
But as a tool, pretty good no problems with them as a tool.

Hope it gets you outside and trying something different that could put a smile on your dial.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 6:51pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

we're looking at one of the Vegepod things. 

Anyone had any experience of these?

I have 2 x 2m vegepods on stands. Been growing successfully in them for 5 years now. They work well for me for green crops & tomatoes. I live in Taranaki with frosts, so can loose crops like tomatoes quite often in the open.

I can grow brassica without being plagued by the dreaded brassica moth and lettuces thrive in the microclimate without snails. Also regularly plant root crops like beetroot & carrot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:26pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

organic, grown metres from your kitchen and minutes from picked. Priceless. Costs a bit to set up compost wise etc but as bananaboat says micro and macro organisms, fungus etc builds an amazing growth garden. Feed soil organically and you will get these. Artificial Petrolium products like man made ferts the old school used ignorantly causes terrible damage to your soil and you can only grow crops by adding more just what the chemical fert companies want. I’ve got about 2 years to get my new garden into the organic sweet zone. It takes time 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Page  <1 45678 25>