Garden chat

Page  123 25>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garden chat
    Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 5:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

When I'm not doing battle with mega gurnard I like to spend time in my vegie garden. I live on a small lifestyle block within shouting distance from Kevin.S & CrayZfish. they often hear me shouting, especially when someone is wrong on the internet.

I have 1 ram, one wether (that's an ex ram and ready for the freezer), 5 ewes, 5 lambs, 2 geese 8 turkeys, 7 hens, two roosters and four cats. There's wife and a kid hanging round as well plus 3 other kids that belong to us, living somewhere else.

I like a good garden chat. I've downsized my garden over the last 4 years and now only have about 60 sq metres or so but I have twice that in fruit trees. 3 x plum, 1 apple, 2 x mandarin, 2 x lemon (why Smudge?), 4 x feijoa, 3 x peach, 2 x passionfruit and 4 x grape vines.

I planted the first stuff in my vegie garden today, runner beans and silverbeet seeds.

What you got?

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 5:48pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

indoor hydroponic system that produces quality goods
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 5:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

I prefer vegies, not vegetable matter Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 6:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 6:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 6:23pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My veggie patch couple years ago. Haven't started this year lock down.
If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 6:33pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats a rather nice veggie patch indeed mr Moritz.
well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 8:42pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good thread . 
I read with envy gardening threads where you are growing avos, watermelons and subtropical fruit... 

We are flat land Canterbury 40 ?km from the coast and can have frosts in December . 
We have 80sqm where we grow our bulk veges, potatoes, corn , onions, tomatoes, pumpkin and brocolli. We also have 10 small raised boxes 2mx1.5m, where we grow asparagus, strawberries, red onions, leeks, garlic, mesclun, carrots, more tomatoes, peas, courgette, cucumbers, beetroots and early potatoes. The early potatoes are swifts. I buy a 1kg bag and plant 6 potatoes on the 1st of august under a double layer of frost cloth. On the 1st sept i plant the balance also under a double layer of frost cloth. We will eat our first potatoes 1st Nov. 1kg of Jersey bennies go in 1st oct for Christmas day potatoes. Also grow 1kg of Agrias ,last year it was 3kg of agrias [to many] which go in 1 Oct and we will eat right thru the winter, still eating them and giving them away. We also have 3 apricot trees [moorpark variety] which we have have not had apricots off for 2 yrs now due to late frosts and wind grrrr but when they are there they are great. 2 peach trees, 3 pear trees which are useless and should be cut out, 3 cherry trees which are marginal but i love cherries, 6 apple trees [espaliered] 2 granny smiths, a cox orange lovely apple a braeburn also good, a royal gala ok and a pink lady marginal at best, 12 grape vines [2 black varieties best is buffalo and a green one] which i try and eat but the  waxeyes finish them off when i lift the nets, and 30m of raspberry canes which get eaten, frozen given away and jammed. Also have a few lambs which we buy in for fattening and resell as hoggets in Nov. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 9:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, you're doing really well Reel Crayze, I guess it's about making the most of what you have got.

Nice garden Mr Moritz, mine's not flash but it produces the goods
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 9:37pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very nice garden Mr Moritz.  

I've started sowing some pumpkin, kamokamo and maori potatoes.  My potato crops haven't done well in the past, but hopefully this year will be positive. 

We usually grow kale, silverbeet, spinach, beetroot, corn and rocket.  As well as strawberries and blueberries.  All I need now is a cubic metre of compost at my local landscape supplies to top up my garden beds.  

The dry 2020 really concerned me, so I built a rain barrel and irrigation system to keep my crops hydrated.  

I grew up on a very large family orchard.  We grew kiwifruit, avocados, watermelon, nashi pears and kumara.  Only the kiwifruit and avocados orchards remain.  I guess my garden-fix started early, but I hated working on the orchard when I was young LOL.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 10:31pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm going to have to admit, I have grass and hedges. The only thing I have to mow around, is the septic tank vent.
This may change one day, but not likely in the near future..
My fingers are oil and glue stained, not green...
I buy my veg in 1kg bags..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 10:51pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

I prefer vegies, not vegetable matter Big smile

haha I thought you'd have a laugh at that.
we have 4 chicken's a Grey hound a cat 2 small boys and a small vege patch, I'd love some more space and time for a proper garden one day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:08am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gave the gardening thing a go.But everything arrives at once,meanwhile neighbours have gardens so dont what any. 
Going back to grow Chillies/Capsicums this yr.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:41am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have about 60 potatoes in and about to plant dwarf beans ,runner beans will start regrowing soon.my list yearly is as above plus onions they were planted in april, tomato, zucckini corn cucumber garlic capsicum butternut ginger lettece chilli. and my asparagus that is now 5 years old picking each day.  dwarf beans and corn i plant 3 times in a season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 5:54am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

I have about 60 potatoes in and about to plant dwarf beans ,runner beans will start regrowing soon.my list yearly is as above plus onions they were planted in april, tomato, zucckini corn cucumber garlic capsicum butternut ginger lettece chilli. and my asparagus that is now 5 years old picking each day.  dwarf beans and corn i plant 3 times in a season.
CORN?? whats the secret.planted some last year but didnt develope,no ears only a plants,The corn never developed,like it was rotten but small.Planted in sunny area and plenty of water.12 planted but spread apart.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 6:15am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

when growing corn plant late oct nov ,plant in blocks not rows so milf can blow on cobs, they like to be well fertilzed .plant apart around 250.300,remember the key is planting in blocks. water well but not soggy as corn can take a bit of dry weather. when cobs apair that is time to water twice a week. hope that helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 6:45am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when growing corn plant late oct nov ,plant in blocks not rows so milf can blow on cobs, they like to be well fertilzed .plant apart around 250.300,remember the key is planting in blocks. water well but not soggy as corn can take a bit of dry weather. when cobs apair that is time to water twice a week. hope that helps.
when you 250/300 is this the distance between plants and make blocks?? yes we did it in a single row.Thanks will give that try,just need stores to open to get seeds/plants now.   Water.we were watering daily,so knock back on water. Might be able to get 40 in.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 6:51am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yes thats the distance between plants,lets say if u plant 6x6x6x6 plus inbetween making a box. if u need seed let me no i can post u sum.im in taupaki by kumeu. are u close by .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 6:55am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes thats the distance between plants,lets say if u plant 6x6x6x6 plus inbetween making a box. if u need seed let me no i can post u sum.im in taupaki by kumeu. are u close by .
south AK,thanks for the offer,Can get them after lockdown easy enough,Today could be a day to go and make preperations,weeds etcstill about cool out here and sun not quite at the right angle to hit yard.October should be looking good,frost gone. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 7:02am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hope all goes well ,up date me as season goes on,if u need any other help im happy to help.cheers. yep its 4 degree here as we talk
Page  123 25>