Penn spinfisher baitrunner

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penn spinfisher baitrunner
    Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 8:34am
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sold my thunnus at the start of winter awsome reel but it had done 4 years of solid work and well paid for its self over and over again in fresh fish however while still working perfectly I decided to renew it

Haven’t replaced it yet but thinking about grabbing a penn spinfisher for this season and just seeing how it goes compared to the thunnus

What’s peoples thoughts on them?
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 10:50am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

will be interesting to see the feedback from those who are qualified. I haven’t bought a Penn for many many years. They were the last word for quality and innovation then got surpassed by a long way and they never caught up. Kind of like Levi jeans etc.

Interesting comment from a charter operator who uses thunnus reals. He reckons he replaces them roughly 3-4 months as they aren’t good in amateur fishesers hands. Saying the biggest issue are his clients winding when fish are running. I’m kicking myself for not asking why keep on buy g the same reel…maybe they are lasting longer than others he has tried or has a good buy price??
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 1:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

Well I just took the plunge and ordered a spinfisher 2500ll and a spool of 20lb j braid

Was a bit of Trouble finding one everything is low on stock but I found one in a level 3 area so it can be shipped to Auckland
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 1:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

will be interesting to see the feedback from those who are qualified. I haven’t bought a Penn for many many years. They were the last word for quality and innovation then got surpassed by a long way and they never caught up. Kind of like Levi jeans etc.

Interesting comment from a charter operator who uses thunnus reals. He reckons he replaces them roughly 3-4 months as they aren’t good in amateur fishesers hands. Saying the biggest issue are his clients winding when fish are running. I’m kicking myself for not asking why keep on buy g the same reel…maybe they are lasting longer than others he has tried or has a good buy price??

Yeah no reel will like doing two things at once
But I find it hard to believe that a thunnus would be no good after 4 months even with rough handling

My gear gets punished as im fishing alot and in an open boat so get drowned in salt water Regularly I do look after my gear though washing with warm fresh water and Frequent Servicing but I don’t wind when the fish is taking line maybe that’s the key to gear lasting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dach39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 1:37pm
Dach39 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

They are truly bullet proof.  I lost mine in the surf when my kayak turtled.  Found it about an hour later. A bit of sand had got into the internals so I stripped it down and gave everything a rinse. Two years later still going strong. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 5:20pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sappercatcha sappercatcha wrote:

Well I just took the plunge and ordered a spinfisher 2500ll and a spool of 20lb j braid

Was a bit of Trouble finding one everything is low on stock but I found one in a level 3 area so it can be shipped to Auckland
Good choice SC! Iv'e been using the Spinfisher V series for a few years now and found them far superior to the thunnus. The main reason the Spinfishers are water tight and the thunnus aren't. Beach launching you soon find this out. The water gets in, first signs of Thunnus problems is the Baitrunner knob becomes hard to wind then the reel itself slowly becomes stiffer. I Soapy water and inox after every use. makes no difference as the salt water gets inside. Take side plate off reel will reveal alot of dryed up salt if this has happened to your thunnus. Also have found there drags are to quiet for straylining if a bit windy or rough. you can't here them taking off where the Penns you here every click ready to strike on a big Snap!Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 7:33pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

New spinfisher VI is rated IPX5, which i'm pretty sure is not waterproof.

4 years of solid work and working perfectly would suggest it is a pretty good option for you. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 2:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

Got my reel today seems solid
If I did have to complain about anything it would have to be that the bait feeder can’t be Adjusted by hand I generally use 2 settings one for the rod holder and one for if im holding the rod

Apart from that happy as
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 3:40pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sappercatcha, does it not have 4 settings on the live liner lever after you have set the baitfeeder? See the “more” or “less” on the lever in the image below.

or see around 27m15s into this video

https://youtu.be/KW92dXutLbI

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 4:04pm
Platinum
Platinum

So they do wow that’s a cool Feature

Didn’t do much Research on them before buying
Just thought id try something Different to to a shimano haven’t owned anything but since i was 5 with the old sea boy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 4:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got to say I have the Spinfisher VI 2500 standard reel since it came out and it’s still mint. No service yet on anything and it’s my smoothest winding reel.

Probably the best bang for buck on the market.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 4:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It’s done loads of work and it still looks like that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:02pm
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

IPX rating standards

Boat Name- Solace