Battery connections - 2004 Johnson 50hp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery connections - 2004 Johnson 50hp
    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 6:38pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Probably a dumb question but just wanted to confirm that when connecting battery leads to the above outboard, the red lead goes onto the starter relay (a loose nut provides the clue to the correct terminal) and the black is earthed to the engine block? There's a nice bright threaded hole just below the starter relay so I figured that is the second piece of the jigsaw?

I'm told the outboard may have an exhaust leak, so once I've got it running (bold assumption!!) how do I check for this if it's not blatantly obvious?

Thanks in advance........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 9:49pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Motor should be negative to earth, black cable to from battery negative to engine block. Red cable from battery positive to solenoid.

Depends on how big the leak is the motor may not run, but if it does sometimes you can hear it chuffing away or feel around the exhaust manifold or fill up a spray bottle with soapy water and spray around the manifold looking for bubbles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 10:36pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Many thanks for the confirmation......and for the soapy water hint!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 9:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm told the outboard may have an exhaust leak, so once I've got it running (bold assumption!!) how do I check for this if it's not blatantly obvious?

Little further to KA comments above.

There is a chance they used to run the outboard in a bucket/ drum. When you do this there is back pressure on the exhaust system. This cause excessive oil condensation in the drum water and on the leg of the motor..
And commonly 'read' as an exhaust or oil leak.
 Also follow this up as well...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 1:29pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Steps....all I get at the moment is a clicking from the starter solenoid so will hav to remedy that first!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 6:04pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Either poor connections or low battery capability.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 6:17pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep - found an old battery lurking in the back of the garage and it's on trickle charge tonight!! Will apply a smidgen of grease to the connections as I reassemble. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 6:43pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Load,check your battery to understand its health.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 6:52pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sry .. I shake my head at flat batteies , if that is the case. These modern batteries , espec the marine type do not like low charges  let alone going flat..
Dont let it ever happen.
 Do the basic maths.
 A battery looked after will give a good 7 or 8 yrs service.. maybe more.. let go flat 4 or 5 times and will die in about 3yrs... and it will die when out at sea and on your 3rd or 4th fire up....so not engine unless have a spare....
AA doesnt do road service out there .. nor does CG for battery jump.
 The last 630 CCA cost me about $350.. from memory.
 A basic Ctek about $100. will more than pay for its self plus have it for lots other things.

Sry bit blunt... long day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:58pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Roger that, Steps.

New battery arrived today........and the outboard fired up perfectly. I used a pair of muffs to test water pump... all good but pump service kit ordered to do the job properly!!
I'm thinking I should probably run it up in a tank of water to pressure-test the exhaust system in an effort to locate potential leak?? Soapy water did not provide any 'tell-tales'. Would I expect to get a different result between muffs and a tank?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 8:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm thinking I should probably run it up in a tank of water to pressure-test the exhaust system in an effort to locate potential leak??

Trouble shooting an exhaust leak in your engine I do not know...
Did so on ours because going to a drum rinse.. thinking maybe in the housing inside the leg.
Big read of the factory service and install manual.
Asked our local and very respected workshop manager turned up about rinsing in a drum..
Like you, a impeller service, which at the same time means new gaskets etc...and still got the oil and crap around the leg and in the drum..

The son couple years ago started rinsing in a drum, oil and crap, told him.. was due for service anyway... was because of rinsing in drum.

And another down the road about a yr ago.. cause.. rinsing in a drum

Do the impeller service, once opened up you will see any signs of a gasket leak if any.. I would go from there...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 9:28am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From my recollections, oily water in a drum is part of life for 2 smokes..not an indicator of anything more than yes, your oil pump is working or yes you remembered to put oil in the fuel..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 10:30am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep agree is just unburnt oil. I even get it with my opti and it uses a lot less oil. The line of thought with 2S outboards is a use lower octane fuel so it burns across combustion chamber slower burning more of the oil mixed in the fuel.

I dont like cheaper oils they don’t burn as well causing the motor to smoke more.

An exhaust leak won’t mean more oil in the drum when you run the engine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 10:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The line of thought with 2S outboards is a use lower octane fuel so it burns across combustion chamber slower burning more of the oil mixed in the fuel.

Actually higher the octane (with correct cylinder pressure not compression ratio) the slower the burn hence the more advance needed..(exception being LPG /cng fuels).with 2S oil that is compensated for in the spark advance giving the required longer burn for the oil
 Our 91 meets the USA outboard requirements , thu manual do say dont use fuels with add methanol

I dont like cheaper oils they don’t burn as well causing the motor to smoke more.
 Been there done that.. just need to run a cheap and note the carbon build up around the prop hub.. then a manufactures brand and  talk to service shop mechanic number engine failures due to cheaper low quailty oils with ut the required expensive additives. Covering in many old posts.
I buy my evinrude oil by the 20L drum

think thru what I know , how things are built in there , thats pretty much the conclusion I came to.. but have never been full sure of it..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 1:46pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

The line of thought with 2S outboards is a use lower octane fuel so it
burns across combustion chamber slower burning more of the oil mixed in
the fuel.

Actually higher the octane (with correct cylinder pressure not compression ratio) the slower the burn hence the more advance needed..(exception being LPG /cng fuels).with 2S oil that is compensated for in the spark advance giving the required longer burn for the oil
 Our 91 meets the USA outboard requirements , thu manual do say dont use fuels with add methanol

Been there done that.. just need to run a cheap and note the carbon build up around the prop hub.. then a manufactures brand and  talk to service shop mechanic number engine failures due to cheaper low quailty oils with ut the required expensive additives. Covering in many old posts.
I buy my evinrude oil by the 20L drum

think thru what I know , how things are built in there , thats pretty much the conclusion I came to.. but have never been full sure of it..

Where did you get this information from Steps, would be interested to know the source?

“Actually higher the octane (with correct cylinder pressure not compression ratio) the slower the burn hence the more advance needed..(exception being LPG /cng fuels).with 2S oil that is compensated for in the spark advance giving the required longer burn for the oil”