Lockdown landbased reports

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:25am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 10:45am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a cast off the beach at Arkles bay yesterday evening on the incoming, lots of small snapper but managed a few keepers too. Best bait was raw prawn tails from the supermarket. I tried out a new way of tying ledger rigs and it worked really well, learned off this vid: https://youtu.be/NT99casykE8

I used 40lb black magic tough trace and black magic KL5/0 hooks with a pink lumo bead above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:49am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Had a cast off the beach at Arkles bay yesterday evening on the incoming, lots of small snapper but managed a few keepers too. Best bait was raw prawn tails from the supermarket. I tried out a new way of tying ledger rigs and it worked really well, learned off this vid: https://youtu.be/NT99casykE8

I used 40lb black magic tough trace and black magic KL5/0 hooks with a pink lumo bead above.
great vid mate I’m gunna hit little manly in the morning that flat rock on the left.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 12:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Best fish went 37cm.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:28pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one T, prawns eh 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went off campbells this arvo.. all ledges full  and some very good surfcasters trying off beach … would been 20 plus odd fishos trying.
Not much caught… although didn’t check guys at northern finger one of my favourite spots. Did see one caught off main ledge .. would been dozen fishing southern end before went round the back … were some whoops and saw fish flapping hopefully a snap not kahawai from where I was fishing.
Anyway I’m a pretty hopeless alvey user and in spite of being frustrated by my not being able to cast as far as with my egg beater gear did manage a 33 cm snap on the 14 foot killwell alvey rod paired with 650 alvey reel. Took a piper only decent bite I had all arvo apart from a few pecks at other baits. Hard fishing but we have dinner. 
Was old timer fishing beach as came back casting over 100 meters. Said he had dropped a nice one when first arrived. Was fishing into dark.. not something I’ld do with alvey .. barely  manage to keep loops line on reel in day… suspect he will do well. But home now and fish for tea in new air fryer.
Might have anther crack tomorrow although running low on bait, we’re lot of baitfish today,  so tomorrow might take light piper gear and a better spin main setup tomorrow. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:31pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

At least with land based fishing, there is no boat to wash down or a whole heap of fish to fillet at the end of the day.

Just trying to cheer our JAFA friends up Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

Looks great Shane! I filleted mine today but will have for lunch tomorrow, fish tacos.

I might have another crack tomorrow evening depending on how knackered I am after my run (training for Omaha half marathon in Dec).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:48pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Come Level 3 in kayak off here MB, we will be slaying them.
But catching one fish like today albeit a massive 33cm certainly buoys your spirits.
Was a time when younger I thought anyone who couldn’t catch decent fish from shore wasn’t worth talking to… I’ve mellowed. Even think boat fishing for marlin and tuna is cool and thoroughly enjoy it.
When  I was younger I must confess I was very narrow minded, about boat fishing. Wouldn’t even fish with the old man in his boat at one stage, would leave earlier than him and walk Pakiri beach or round ti point rocks.. and usually out fished  him.
Used to create bit of friction as was in my late teens.

Kayaks are awesome though sort of in between boats and landbased, possibly why I like them. Don’t get me wrong though I’ve known for quite a while now boats are great, but every time go back on rocks or surfcast, the buzz is still there.  We had some awesome fishing in the last century.
And another local guy I know and talked to tonight has had amazing fishing for snaps in the last week round here, so there is hope of better things to come if in protracted lock down.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good luck with training Patrick, and if fishing tomorrow night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:58pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a nice 35 cm this arvo, but lost big one before that, was fishing deep ledge with heavy reef foul to one side. It’s actually a prick of place to get to, with limited fishing time, and didn’t get home till 7 even though left ledge at dusk and gingerly wandered home. Took my 10 foot ugly stick and old penn 850ss loaded with 15lb line and using 24 kg trace. It throws unweighted baits a considerable distance. Bigger fish lost took whole smallish yellowtail with fillet missing on one side. Been in freezer while and refrozen. Didn’t realise how big fish was, ran hard on first run but had plenty drag on relatively quick, managed to pump it back to shore and was thinking this will be awesome. A really decent snap off bays , as it got closer the big bronze flanks came into view and at that stage was thinking might need a gaff but was fishing close to water level. That was about when it made a powerful run across a large kelpy ledge in about 3 to 4 meters of water in front me, put its head down and stripped off line to get behind ledge and move down guess into deeper kelp with more rocks between me and him. Could still feel him head shaking but after 10 minutes still couldn’t budge him and eventually line went twang. Kicking myself for not locking up harder and pulling head up further when came in close, too much soft yak and boat fishing. Had been bit more aggressive before he ran left into foul might have got em. Reckon well over 10lb maybe 15lb. Still swimming hopefully and not tied up down there. Sinker was 1/8th of ounce above hook free running on trace tied in direct to mainline, so hopefully won’t bother fish. Had I got fish would of bought it home…
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:20am
Titanium
Titanium

Managed to limp out to the spot again last night but only one undersized caught. A mate of mine got a 35CM on a pilly cube.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:30am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you are all getting your fix all the same. Put in the effort and the rewards will come. Like life really.

Couple of those reports even had my blood pumping haha thanks for sharing. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:07am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Went off campbells this arvo.. all ledges full  and some very good surfcasters trying off beach … would been 20 plus odd fishos trying.
Not much caught… although didn’t check guys at northern finger one of my favourite spots. Did see one caught off main ledge .. would been dozen fishing southern end before went round the back … were some whoops and saw fish flapping hopefully a snap not kahawai from where I was fishing.
Anyway I’m a pretty hopeless alvey user and in spite of being frustrated by my not being able to cast as far as with my egg beater gear did manage a 33 cm snap on the 14 foot killwell alvey rod paired with 650 alvey reel. Took a piper only decent bite I had all arvo apart from a few pecks at other baits. Hard fishing but we have dinner. 
Was old timer fishing beach as came back casting over 100 meters. Said he had dropped a nice one when first arrived. Was fishing into dark.. not something I’ld do with alvey .. barely  manage to keep loops line on reel in day… suspect he will do well. But home now and fish for tea in new air fryer.
Might have anther crack tomorrow although running low on bait, we’re lot of baitfish today,  so tomorrow might take light piper gear and a better spin main setup tomorrow. 

So people fishing off the rocks there then? I thought we had to keep it strictly to the sand?  
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:02am
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:03am
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My son picked up this respectable fish while fishing off the black hard sand at Milford last evening. A bit of a surprise and he was stoked. Not much else was happening though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:05am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice fish! Black hard sand! Love it!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:35pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hell’s bells that’s a good catch off the beach. Well done that fulla. Great pic too.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:04pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s a beauty Nathan… yeah JK I hear you and way more dangerous where went yesterday than launching boat or yak. But hey everyone doing it, and Kennedy park beach wasn’t too far from where I was.  Guess might been stretching the written  limits. 
My brother  had bad fall fishing campbells Saturday afternoon in a seemingly benign spot at northern end between Campbells and Mairangi fishing with his kids, broke a finger and bruised ribs , after piece of papa rock was standing on broke away. 
I was extra careful yesterday. Even took my pants off to get to said spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

I think the "no fishing off rocks" thing is really to keep people off dangerous area like the rocks at the end of surf beaches etc. The flat sandstone shelves around the bays are pretty tame really.
Page  <1234>