Mercury mariner 60E 1982

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cudacurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercury mariner 60E 1982
    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 11:13am
Cudacurl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good morning everyone. I recently bought a small 4m Marlborough dart with a 1982 Mariner 60E outboard. The boys who previously owned it thought it would be a good idea to swap out some of the parts on the outboard between the handshake and the pick up.  Now I am in need of some assistance.
When the key is turned, the solenoid engages, but the starter doesn't. before I try and buy a replacement, I traced the electrics and found a very confusing and dodgy repair job where the main cable connects to the outboards electrics. 
I was wondering if anyone could provide some photos of how a proper setup hsould be so I can determine if it is the starter or some other problem?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Cuda, I don't have pics but have some electrical knowledge. You can fault find it using a multimeter or a test lamp of some sort. Connect the lamp or multimeter across the starter motor. That is one wire on the motor terminal and the other to ground eg somewhere like the starter motor mounting bolts. When you try and operate the starter motor the test lamp should come on. If it does but the starter motor doesn't go, the starter motor is faulty. 

If the lamp doesn't go you need to locate the starter solenoid. It should have power on one side and on the other side when you try to operate the starter motor. Can you take some pics of your set up and post them here?

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cudacurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 5:11pm
Cudacurl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks smudge. There is constant power to the solenoid and when the key is turned there is power from the solenoid to the starter.
Photo 1 shows the power from solenoid going to bottom nut  of starter and the ground from the batter going to the starter upper nut.
Photo 2 shows power to the bottom nut of starter with key turned
Photo 3 shows the power out from solenoid with key turned
Photo 4 shows power into solenoid. 
So it looks like the starter is toast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cudacurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 7:48pm
Cudacurl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 1:03am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It appears to be the starter. Make sure the connection is tight and clean first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 1:05am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Just to be sure, take a wire from the positive of the battery to the starter motor terminal, if it still doesnt turn over it is the starter motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cudacurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 7:34am
Cudacurl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Smudge. There is nothing when the starter is directly connected to battery. Now the search for a new starter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 8:00am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What do the bushes look like?? Have you removed. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 8:11am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Cudacurl Cudacurl wrote:

Thanks Smudge. There is nothing when the starter is directly connected to battery. Now the search for a new starter.
Failing all else.maybe ask a question on this??