Seaflo Washdoen Kit - Terminal Sparking

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dre23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seaflo Washdoen Kit - Terminal Sparking
    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 5:28pm
Dre23 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi first time post, so I've installed my new washdown kit but when I went to connect the Earth and Positive cables they sparked. Nothing else is connected and I have wired an inline fuse but the sparking has me scratching my head. There are 2 batteries this one is disconnected and the switch is set at off. Do I need to disconnect the other battery aswell? Any reason for sparking? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 8:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Dre. Do you have a pic of how you first connected it? I'm a sparky and will help you if I can get a little more info. You will find many false prophets on social media. Not here though Wink
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dre23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 8:25pm
Dre23 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Smudge will take a pic in the morning but it was basically red wire on to positive and as soon as I put black onto negative it sparked...I will check the wiring I did for the inline fuse and to extend the earth wire otherwise I don't know what I've done. Will get those pics. Cheers for the advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 9:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Pretty hard to sort this stuff from afar, sometimes things aren't quite as they seem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 4:49pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are you trying to wire them live.
Cos that maybe your problem.

Wiring must be disconnected before wiring junctions.
So detach all terminals from batteries.
Disconnect the negative first before the positive.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 6:05pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are you trying to wire them live.
Cos that maybe your problem.

Thumbs Up

+ve buzz bar/common to switch to fuse to pump.
-ve buzzbar to pump.

Turn off battery switch before doing anything... and make sure the pump switch is also turned off.
 Check voltage at the pump side of the switch before connecting the pump...And at the wire to at the pump before connecting with switch on.
 Then connect pump..
 Then turn on switch momentary and listen for the pump to kick in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dre23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 9:51pm
Dre23 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for advice.  The manual says wire directly to the battery using an inline fuse...

Yeah I disconnected all the other leads to the +ve and -ve at the batery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dre23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 9:54pm
Dre23 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The fuse doesnt blow when I connect it directly but the terminals spark when I touch them to the battry...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 6:12am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If a new unit,have you considered taking it back and explaining the issue??  Should just install unit ,connect to battary,turn on.If there is a unit fault fuse should blow.
Gather before connecting unit the on/off switch is off?

Whats the brand you are installing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 9:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The fuse doesnt blow when I connect it directly but the terminals spark when I touch them to the battry...

Yes it will..
To get clear, you are connecting directly 1 wire to the battery then flahing (tapping) the other and you get a few small sparks?

This pump draw quite a current.. memory mine pulls just under 10amps at max rating, so tapping maybe up around 8 amps.
 Yep that will certainly spark as you tap it.

Thats normal.  Thumbs Up

put a old head lamp across a battery.. will spark the same
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 5:43pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you've solved great.
If not and based in Auckland , pm me.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 6:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

If it is turned on it will spark. If it is fused then just try it and see what happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 6:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Is it this one Dre?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 6:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Sometimes with electrical components there is a small current draw. It looks like this has a solenoid as part of the kit. Is the spark very small? If so, and you have it fused correctly as per instructions, try it and see what happens. If there is a fault the fuse will blow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 7:20pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a similar pump, the bit with the wires on the end is a micro switch that is closed making the pump run until it pressurises and switches off the motor. When you open up the nozzle on the hose the pressure drops and the pump kicks in again. I suspect when you are connecting it, it is trying to run and sparks because of that. Just connect it with the fuse out, refit the fuse and give it a go.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 7:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by DIY DIY wrote:

I have a similar pump, the bit with the wires on the end is a micro switch that is closed making the pump run until it pressurises and switches off the motor. When you open up the nozzle on the hose the pressure drops and the pump kicks in again. I suspect when you are connecting it, it is trying to run and sparks because of that. Just connect it with the fuse out, refit the fuse and give it a go.

There you go! Great reply DIY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 8:19pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And again if that is the correct pump, the waterproofing around the wire connectors & diaphragm is not great. I had to strip & clean the unit in a fairly new pump in a friends boat, though to be fair to the pump maker, it had - oddly - been mounted upside down when the boat was fitted out, so any leakage or splashes flowed down & into the electrics.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dre23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 8:51pm
Dre23 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That's the one!! The seaflo washdown kit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 8:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep thats same as mine..
 And Waynorths comments about the connects...had same issue after around 3 yrs
I re done the connections , lanacoated and sealed with bit silicone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dre23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 12:51pm
Dre23 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys thanks everyone for help. I didn't have the other end connected to the gun but when I connected it and hooked up to battery there was a smaller spark but connected fine, fuse still good...all wired up and ready for the next adventure when we've that might be.

Thanks heaps guys!!!

Dre
Page  12>