Freshwater Fishing in Whangarei

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SundanceKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freshwater Fishing in Whangarei
    Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 2:19pm
SundanceKid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello,
Can anyone tell me some information about fishing / types of fish if any in the following lakes:

Wilson's Dam (near big roundabout of SH1 to Marsden Pt)
Whau Valley Dam (Whangarei's water supply)
Lake Ora (Kamo, Whangarei)
OR:
Any other dam/lake/stream in Whangarei you may know where I can catch Trout or Carp.

Thanks peeps!
My wife says she'll leave me if I go fishing again - HELL, I"LL MISS HER!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 5:09pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've visited Wilson's Dam once and Whau Valley Dam once. Both were very low, muddy and choked with weed. Wilson's had a sign about toxic algae. Uninspiring to say the least.  

I've seen Lake Ora on the maps, but haven't been there.

We are a bit short on freshwater fishing. 

Don't say the "C" word in these parts, you'll cause mass hysteria LOL

If you find anything out, please share. I'd like a nice, safe spot to take my young son fishing when it's too windy on the coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 7:26pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 7:28pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Also try nztroutapp.com and nicefish.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tamaterau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 7:54am
Tamaterau View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Following with interest…. I have read about the streams with fish up here too but never actually heard of anyone fishing them. Anyone know if there are still trout about up here?

I do fish for snapper in the harbour and catch plenty on the fly so there is that…
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 1:49pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Plenty of trout in the rivers that are all part of the Hikurangi swamp watershed. Most fish are small, but many of the rivers are not big. Small jumping rainbows in pools that have weed banks and sunken timber makes for interesting fishing. There is occasional larger browns too... if you know where to look.

Also lots of catfish in the swamp itself and plenty of big parore in the estuarine reaches of the Hatea river. The latter might be salty estuarine water but it's still very much river fishing.

There are perch, tench, carp and rudd scattered about Northland too, but most are considered pests. Not sure that DOC wants anyone fishing for them.

So yeah, Northland freshwater fishing is a bit limited, but interesting enough when you do find it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tamaterau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 2:51pm
Tamaterau View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool, will go looking this season.

I did all my fly fishing in the south island back country or on the lakes so guessing I have some learning to do in small swampy streams up here.

Any clues on what dries or nymphs to start with?

Also are the fish reasonably plentiful or like one or two every mile?

Small bows are super fun in tight water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 3:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I fish weighted wet flies as it is the best way of dealing with sunken timber. Basically fly first. Weighted wet fly fished on a floating line with leader length adjusted to suit the terrain.

There are plenty of rainbows in the swamp and good numbers in the lower part of the Wairau near whangarei, even in water that can be brown, warm and swampy. Upstream it's more erratic. Sometimes it's good, at other times it can be hard to find the fish. Golden flanked browns hiding in amongst sunken trees are a special challenge.

Head to the Puketi forest if you want good nymphing water. Again, not big fish, but productive runs to slide a nymph down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tamaterau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 4:36pm
Tamaterau View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you so much for the info! Worth a walk then.

When you say wets do you mean streamers/ woolly buggers of wee wets?

Will be so nice to chase trout again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 5:42pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Small wooly bugger type flies with saltwater dumbbell eyes Inverted position helps the fly to bump over snags.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 12:48pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where are some steams in the Puketi forest? Heading up to Whangaroa early December for sea fishing so might take a 4 wt fly rod for a look.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 3:06pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Where are some steams in the Puketi forest? Heading up to Whangaroa early December for sea fishing so might take a 4 wt fly rod for a look.

In Dec the water temp of those streams could be rather high & if so fish will either be at best lethargic or have moved well upstream in search of cooler spring water. Also it is generally recognised the fish population in nthland streams often suffer from relatively extensive poaching.

I used to travel around Northland regularly on business & spent a lot of time trying to suss out various locations but finally decided was far more productive x 10 putting the time in to fishing south of Auckland.

Kaiiwi lakes could be moderately kind at times but it is no longer being stocked so fish numbers are well down. Stream wise had best results at a far sized bush clad stream close to Kawakawa one day, however on subsequent repeated forays ... nothing.

IMO you would be far better off saltwater land based fly or spin fishing.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 4:16pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Waipapa stream flows right through the middle of it. Forest Pools access road. Walk well upstream in December to get away from the swimmers. Don't leave any valuables in your car.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 9:32am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers for that.Will have a look at that👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:54am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

looking forward to exploring also.  Does anyone know where I can get fresh water crayfish. Planning on stocking some paddock and bush pools around the house. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:55am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sorry in the whangarei area. Believe their are a few native varieties. Unfortunately Northland has one of the smaller types but still would be great to breed some.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 12:38pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cancel that. I just walked up a tiny stream in some bush on my property and surprisingly there is a population already here. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 3:37pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i wouldn't be too vocal about transferring fish and koura and it's illegal.                 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tamaterau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 3:35pm
Tamaterau View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So I found out today that Northland trout do exist.

Went for a walk up a locall river. It was a little coloured to spot fish, a kind of emerald green, after recent rain but some lovely water. I started out nymphing the slots and foam lines around undercuts but nothing really doing. 

The pools were really slow and as mentioned full of punga logs, so a change in approach and I fished back down with a olive grizzly bugger and in the first pool had this guy on. Small but very lively and beautiful coloured fish.

So definitely not a South island back country experience, but there are trout and they take flies quite readily.

Checked out the dam on the way back into town and there was a rise on to Chironimids, couldn't tempt them but saw 5-6 trout taking the emergers. One was atleast 5lb. Will tie up some better imitiations and get back up there.

So it is worth taking a stroll along the rivers and having not fly fished in the fresh since I moved north nearly a decade ago I'll be doing a bit more exploring around these parts for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:30pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that river looks mint your adventures are very interesting. Thanks for sharing 
Page  12>