DRONE FISHING TUESDAY 10th AUG - Who's around?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote josh@nzfishingnews.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DRONE FISHING TUESDAY 10th AUG - Who's around?
    Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 12:55pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Hey team,

Along with Shawn Sangster from Rippton Drones, Grunta and myself will be heading out to have a play around with our Rippton Fishing Drone on Tuesday the 10th of August.

The location is TBC however it's likely going to happen in the Awhitu area, and will be a mid-morning to early afternoon affair.

If you want to come down and check out the drone demo, chuck a surfcaster in, or just say g'day to other forum folk, let us know here.

Once we gauge some interest we'll confirm the exact Awhitu location.

Until then, we welcome any local knowledge that may put us (or the drone) on the fish on Tuesday Handshake

We look forward to seeing some of you there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 6:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, I'd love to go. Right in my neighbourhood too. Maybe if my boss is in a good mood.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 9:08pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I may be able to tag along for that. Be interesting to see that gear in action. Keep me posted 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rough time?
Interested.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jpfishingnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:18am
jpfishingnz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Steps - the guys are thinking between 9am-12pm to get a couple of drones up and hopefully catch some fish.

Having seen them in action, they're a cool bit of kit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zjo2rCzUY

Feel free to drop JR an email and he'll get you all of the details on Monday morning!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jpfishingnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:19am
Silver
Silver

Hey guys - they're thinking between 9am-12pm on Tuesday.

Having seen them in action, they're a cool bit of kit 

Feel free to drop JR an email and he'll get you all of the details on Monday morning!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Since Awhitu.. get Counties sport fishing club, Pukekohe hunting and fishing... DKM in Waiuku, all on board.
 Maybe even Waiuku miter 10?

You thinking West coast or Harbour side?

Looking at around 20knot SW winds and 2.5/ 3m swells and showers to light rain, on the coast on Tuesday..
 Maybe a window thurs thu (??)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jpfishingnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 10:02am
Silver
Silver

Those are all good suggestions that I'll let JR know.

I think the plan was habour side given the weather, but Tuesday is the day because that's when Shawn is up from Taupo, plus the Tairua Boat Show is later next week.

Hopefully the weather plays ball!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fishfeeder2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 10:52am
fishfeeder2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive fished Awhitu and the west coat in waiuku for over 10yrs with torpedo's and kite's....I would not fish hamiltons gap with your gear...you are likely to lose your backbone....there is alot of junk out there. I would fish karioitahi...maybe 4kms down towards the rivermouth ...by the "huts" on the hill....far less chance of snags and such. Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 10:54am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Yep - harbourside Keith given the wind and swell on the coast and thanks for the advice Jas.  Here's that drone vid from the initial outing...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macrayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 5:38pm
macrayfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Be aware that the harbour side has extensive drone restrictions due to aircraft coming and going to the airport. Check here:
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 5:51pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Originally posted by macrayfish macrayfish wrote:

Be aware that the harbour side has extensive drone restrictions...
Thanks and noted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote josh@nzfishingnews.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 11:47am
Admin
Admin

Hey guys,

Great to hear of everyone's interest in tomorrow!

We will be at Wattle Bay, Awhitu from 9.15am onwards tomorrow (Tuesday, Aug 10th). 

Hopefully we'll be tucked away from the SW. We'll have a few drones out so feel free to come check it out, have a chat and chuck your own line in if you're up to it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 4:39pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep will head up..
Leaving Waiuku around 8:30 am
Anyone want a lift/ share ride?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 10:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very interesting day, and meet some cool guys.
1st off..for the record.. I have never operated, or even touched a drone in my life before.
Arrived around the same time as the other guys .. Grunter Josh, and Peter, an avid U tuber there.. With KevenS turning up couple minutes later , but a little confusion in which Wattle bay for one out of Auckland person.
 Whos to figure there are 2 Wattle bays on the Manukau, not far off opposite coasts of each other.

Un packing out of rather a nice back pack.. And I do mean nice.. I have carried a few heavy packs in my day thru some rough bush. This pack is nice and the weight no where being classed as heavy.
  A couple (in this demo) electric reels rods, bit of bait, and a small super cheap jump battery.

Wasnt long before everyone was present, drone setup in an open space, way more than turned out was needed. .. destination programed.. drop the  sinker in 600m in 'that' direction .traces and sinker attached to main line, baited, mainline connected to Drone and drone navigation lights flashing , sitting on around a 1m x1m square of grass carpet out of the back of my ute.
Count down a hesitation , then it fired up, and lifted to a pre determined height directly above us...wind didnt seem to effect the vertical rise, then headed out to its destination.
 Now keep in mind all this is pre programed...and with over rides in if battery gets a bit flat.. it has more than enough power to come home.. by its self.
 Peter was on the rod.. his 1st time as well.. As the Drone lifted he headed out, feeding out the hollow core braid, walked to the edge of the reserve, down the bank, no rush, just keeping slack to the drone.
The drone gets to its pre programed destination.. just over the beach shelf into the edge of the channel, dropped the sinker, Peter takes up a little slack, puts the rod in the beach sand rod holder. While he is doing this the drone, pre programed, heads home, then hovered vertically down ... with only  2 of the 4 legs on the 1 x1m matt.

This thing could damn near be used on a crowed beach so long as have a clear space around 10m wide (that includes bit of room for wind error) to clear the traces clipping others sun hats.
I would not suggest to operate in that space, but thats all it used.

So 1st rod out, second rod set up thats sent out.. again much the same simple 1 man operation.

Now the retrieve... Again a simple pull in with the electic reel.
 Why electric? I asked before thinking about it
Well 600m is a lot of winding and time.. Start to get out to 1000/1500m plus and thats even more..
We knew had sent out over a 500 or so wide shallow rocky shelf from the beach... and the dreaded manukau red weed. Even this went far simpler than I expected. Couple snags, and someone pulling the few bits of red weed of fthe main line before it gets to the top of the rod.

Next line in, re bait, spare battery in the drone and both out again..

Im still astounded at the simplicity of the whole operation .. from rep programing to having lines retrieved... And to packing up back into the back pack etc.

I was a good day, good ppl, and learnt a lot.
 On the way home thinking
" OK wife has given me a budget to replace our boat, how can to keep that budget and buy one of these. Maybe without the electric reel to keep cost down, And how to build a light weight alternative main line spool.?"

Wife comes home, put it too her
" yes nps but must come out of the replacement boat budget" 
Down side, the budget is right at the bottom of type /age/ power/condition of what targeting.
Thinking around some creative accounting now.

I ask a lot questions, watch details, look for faults so no surprises...thats just me...
The only down side.. re charging is 25v so extra batteries and no re charge on site between several drops without an inverter.
Thats the only downside could find... (besides the wifes boat budget)

Im very impressed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 10:15am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Good to catch with with Steps, Kevin S, Peter and Shaun from Nacsan,  who have the Rippton agency, yesterday for a spot of drone fishing. 

To be fair it was fishing rather than catching but we gave it a good crack. Wattle Bay looks a top spot for an afternoon beer and giving the drone a run when it get a bit warmer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote josh@nzfishingnews.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 11:07am
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the summary Steps, was certainly great to get out there and test the next generation of fishing kit yesterday + put some faces to names.

This certainly won't be the last time we demo the drone. If we collectively keep an eye on the weather, as well as any potential new landbased locations in the near future, then we'll make sure to get out and do it again. Ideally when the weather gets warmer and the fish start biting!

If you've got any mates who may be interested, or might have some know-how in this department, be sure to invite them to this page and get them involved.

For now, we'll be posting a quick summary of yesterday on our @nzfishingnews Instagram later today. And for any info on the drone's we use, check out Rippton fishing drones on Instagram @rippton_nz_fishing_drones , or alternatively visit their website on www.ripptonnz.co.nz .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote josh@nzfishingnews.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:48pm
Admin
Admin

Hey guys,

Just an FYI that we've got some video up from yesterday on @nzfishingnews on Instagram. If you've got Instagram, check it out in our story section.