For fyke's sake!

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 9:29pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If your kids want to feed them on a regular routine, you will find they become quite tame, and they will see yet another side to these amazing creatures.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 11:00am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Nice one, MB. I enjoyed that. First, catch your snapper...

As with my boys, a fantastic experience for your lad. Endless fascination. Simple, yet so rewarding. In summer, I might try that with my boys in the farm creek. THanks for posting.

Thanks. It was a special moment for the boy. I would defend anyone's right to harvest eels for food if that's what they want to do, but I would take no pleasure harming these creatures myself. Fishing certainly wouldn't be a challenge in the sporting sense. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 4:50pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Many, many years ago after a night at the pub, two mates and I decided to go eel spearing off the beach at Macra. With 12 volt battery in back pack and hand held spotlight in hand away we went. After many near misses of both toes and eels someone finally scored a hit. Must have got the grumpiest eel on the beach. Despite being speared in the tail he coiled the rest of his body around the spear handle like a viper, and with jaws snapping sought to bite the hand holding the spear. Mate let out a loud scream, dropped the spear and ran back to shore at high speed. So the two of us left looked at each other and then without a word headed back to shore. Never tried eel spearing since....       
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 11:51am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I did a lot of eeling in Hawkes Bay.  I'm ashamed to admit a lot of eels met their maker and were just left on the riverbank.  I've grown up since then.  Probably my most memorable story was fumbling around in the dark with a dying torch.  We spotted an eel and had no gear so tried to break a willow branch off. When I was having little success with the branch, my mate said "mind!" and swung a Bowie knife at the branch I was still holding.  I've still got the scar over 50 years later.
Excellent report Lester.  Good to see the "Catch of the day" being knocked off the top of the Most Thanked list.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 3:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

As kids I would grab them in my hands at night and throw them out the water, easy to do with practice. Got bitten a few times of course. Used to grab them out of holes they made in the mud too. Got bitten a few more times. Last time I was bitten was last summer hand feeding them at the local park. Only got bitten 3 times but I got them coming right out of the water to take food from my hands. Have patted some monsters while snorkeling at night in Kai Iwi lakes.  Very cool creatures
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 9:32pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

As kids I would grab them in my hands at night and throw them out the water, easy to do with practice. Got bitten a few times of course. Used to grab them out of holes they made in the mud too. Got bitten a few more times. Last time I was bitten was last summer hand feeding them at the local park. Only got bitten 3 times but I got them coming right out of the water to take food from my hands. Have patted some monsters while snorkeling at night in Kai Iwi lakes.  Very cool creatures

Having seen the size of those eels a com fisher used to pull out in his nets ... many over 100 mm in dia cannot for the life of me think of any reason anyone would want to go snorkeling among them at night.

Seem to recall Catchelot saying he did so as well ... carrying a glass jar in search of fish farts to replace the worn out bubbles in his spirit level. 

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Page  <12