SNA8 submissions

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 11:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/consultations/review-of-sustainability-measures-2021-october-round/?fbclid=IwAR2giurey0vkKZqu20xqG0U4MJlGEIdRrNy7G7CvnlYovUOEF4naUviLjYU

Interesting/ informative link

Ditto V8 sediments
 Just got to see wher my  "Farmers protest" thread went.. no one even interested in the original theme of it when applied to our fisheries..
And AlanL post and quote:
For evil to prevail, it just takes good men to do nothing.

Steps, could we be misreading the majority of NZ now? Seriously?
I mean you look at some of the agendas put forward and it seems like an uphill task to get any semblance of balance and common sense through.
Mostly because special interest groups have the ear of the government and other areas of society. You hear some of the opinions on recreational fisherman out there and some seriously think we are out 24/7 pillaging the fish. I genuinely don’t think the public sympathies are with us or actually care to opinion on our side.
And I think the vested interests know this.

I agree, a bunch of fishermen towing boats up the motorway won't capture the publics imagination like the tractors did. 
Recreational fishers are generally so poorly aware of the issues yet have very strong opinions on what should be done - all wildly different of course - that infighting will either kill it or the powers that be will take the advice of those who advocate that we only need one fish per day.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 2:57am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

WE had the TV programme on "the price of fish" niwa ,I think ,said reccs take more snapper the gulf than commercial.
Sanfords ran a tV advert"we only take this much"

Non fishing public see us a rich mans sport,only thing Mrs Brown thinks about is,"Oh fish price has risen" she has no idea why but complains and still purchases it.

As "smudge" quite rightly so ,we can never agree on what is right or best for us. Did the submission thing.Yes went for option 1 being less increase but comment on how we should go from 10 to 12 snapper in SNA8.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 5:18am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/consultations/review-of-sustainability-measures-2021-october-round/?fbclid=IwAR2giurey0vkKZqu20xqG0U4MJlGEIdRrNy7G7CvnlYovUOEF4naUviLjYU

Interesting/ informative link

Ditto V8 sediments
 Just got to see wher my  "Farmers protest" thread went.. no one even interested in the original theme of it when applied to our fisheries..
And AlanL post and quote:

Steps, could we be misreading the majority of NZ now? Seriously?
I mean you look at some of the agendas put forward and it seems like an uphill task to get any semblance of balance and common sense through.
Mostly because special interest groups have the ear of the government and other areas of society. You hear some of the opinions on recreational fisherman out there and some seriously think we are out 24/7 pillaging the fish. I genuinely don’t think the public sympathies are with us or actually care to opinion on our side.
And I think the vested interests know this.

I agree, a bunch of fishermen towing boats up the motorway won't capture the publics imagination like the tractors did. 
Recreational fishers are generally so poorly aware of the issues yet have very strong opinions on what should be done - all wildly different of course - that infighting will either kill it or the powers that be will take the advice of those who advocate that we only need one fish per day.

I was going to mention the farmers but I stayed in subject for once 😂
Even those guys have it tough with public opinion and especially with negative political rhetoric. The message was clear from them and every nation that has messed up agriculture productivity does not do very well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:11am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - we spend most of our time as Recs arguing amongst ourselves rather than unite behind anything. Arguing what the issue is and what needs fixing and who should do it. It is easy to throw rocks at Legasea - but their job is the equivalent of herding cats.
So while potentially we should be able to harness a strong political lobby, we really are our own worst enemy while we can't agree on much of anything.
It is interesting that MPI told me on more than one occaission that the push for  reforming the Puka regs came pretty well solely from the Recs . They told me privately that the Comms are generally the last to conceed a fishery is in decline.
But now we have to wait and see what the recommendations are - which will surely affect Recs. And see if we can agree on something.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 10:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we spend most of our time as Recs arguing amongst ourselves rather than unite behind anything.

I disagree.. rec when look at all points of view are very much similar.. ban in shore.. but distance out maybe different.
 Ban trawling , places differ but essence the same.
 Better controls on comms and quota..
thats common..
 Protest is bout common ground thu details may differ.

Farmers are the same, essence the same, be it this time round or driving tractors up parliament steps.. rem that?

So while potentially we should be able to harness a strong political lobby, we really are our own worst enemy while we can't agree on much of anything.

Yes we can harness a strong lobby, espec considering recent docos being released, current  MPIreassessments etc
Yes rec are their own worst enemy.. and thats because they can fill in forms for submissions, end of story... At best only a handful have the nerve to get out publicly and wave a banner.. just like farmers.
 But jump on tractors head to town .. that sounds like news worthy big , big local community support, bit of fun, get
together for chat.

Funny ... Hitch up boats head to town, sounds like new worthy, big local community support, bit of fun, get together or a chat.

Only Difference between farmers and rec fishermen is one is their living, rec fishermen is spare time recreation..
 Dont take this wrong, but going on previous actions over the last few decades, we at best are just keyboard warriors.

Sections of society that pollies just see as sitting back no real back bone to be active are just not a threat at the polling booths
 "When good men dont stand up....."

There is a very small handful of us who actually feel strong enough to hitch up our boats or some sort of other real time active protest to show the Government we are serious.. And feel let down by lack of real support by others.

So just sign away on the submissions and let the government do what ever they like FOR the commercial sector.
1 submission or 10,000 government makes no difference knows where the balance of money is, as against votes at the ballot box are... regardless of what party is in.
Always has been always will
 Till something dramatic beyond a keyboard, changes that.

T
he fact we disagree on details is just an excuse....
 If we agreed there would be another excuse to do nothing.

We get what we deserve...and out grandchildren will get left with what we let happen and has been happening.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 10:49am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps.when we can tip $10 mill in to government coffers like Peter Goodfellow does for commercial then we have a chance.We are token stakeholders we pay nothing towards cost if management directly.If we paid a fee of some description then we have a true say.In saying that many Aussie states they pay a fee and still get ignored.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 12:05pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps.when we can tip $10 mill in to government coffers like Peter Goodfellow does for commercial then we have a chance

And to a polly what is more important.. 10 mil or be on the treasury benches ?

So what you are saying is.. and correct me if wrong.
" Rec fishermen dont have a chance of achieving anything be it by protest or keyboards.. roll over and take what is given"

Seems to be a common theme..  more excuses not to do anything beyond the keyboard...
 I just go back to Alans quote:
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 12:50pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps.when we can tip $10 mill in to government coffers like Peter Goodfellow does for commercial then we have a chance

And to a polly what is more important.. 10 mil or be on the treasury benches ?

So what you are saying is.. and correct me if wrong.
" Rec fishermen dont have a chance of achieving anything be it by protest or keyboards.. roll over and take what is given"

Seems to be a common theme..  more excuses not to do anything beyond the keyboard...
 I just go back to Alans quote:
No. Need to get away from recs vs comms and work together.
The system that needs the change.QMS neds to go. Read about comms trawler skipper out west who unluckily got a load of snapper.Didnt hold any quota but landed them and for his privlage got charged deemed value so the trip cost him$$.Could of dumped them as not having quota but he did the right thing.
I suggest that many have this mental picture(once any increase happens) that there will be 100 trawlers working the west coast,not going to happen .Still ned a market for fish. Where you have a contract skipper/vessel.
Instead of them getting say $4.50kg wet fish they need to be able to cut out the middleman and get $20kg wet fish,supply direct to supermarkets etc where they are getting $40+ for week old fillets.

And I would suggest longlining is not much better.Lay 3000 hooks and by the time you return to start,those fish may still alive or drowned through not moving,undersize.
How many times do you read on here through back x amount,are we not adding to the problem,sure swim away but how times have you seen them pop back up a few minutes later.I know I have.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:25am
Page  <12