Protective coating on fibre glass

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protective coating on fibre glass
    Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 10:34am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im thinking of applying something on my boat fibreglass gelcoat. To slow down the deterioration from sunlight. 

On a car, Ive used a "ceramic" type coating, that has certainly enhanced the gloss, and reduced dirt - eg instead of needing a wash every month say. it goes several months. I assume this is long lasting (its been 2 years and still as good as new). Its far better than car polishes and waxes. 

Anyone else tried a ceramic coating on gelcoat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 5:22pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used Megures , Quick Detail for a while...
Worked but not quite as good as my expectations, so started to experiment..
 Keep in mind this is a late 1970s sea nyphm..
Started to get a little chalking so out with the 1200 wet dry nearly cut all chalk off, and finished the rest of the chalking with a machine buff.. back to new.
Used a top end floor polymer.. worked well , then that discolored, and was a real bitch to get off.. Ammonia and buff.. big mistake.
So from there , come home wash the boat and put a smear of super cheap the blue elcheapo tyre shine on.. quick spray and quick light wipe with cloth.
 Worked well.far better than expected..but not the soln
 Then like you, when the ceramics came out started using on the cars.. then the boat...
Yep worked better than all 3..again not as well as expected.
Thu must say in interior surfaces out of the sea spray and sun..excellent.

Then when did the 10yr trailer/boat  maintenance (resent thread) I sprayed the trailer with lanacoate...had a rag with some of the lanacoate soln on it.. thought "why not" and wiped a couple thin layers on the surfaces exposed to sun /sea. OVER the ceramic..
It gave a very sure footed surface, and over the last few months, not sticky and the gelcoat, no signs at all of chalking, keeps a reasonable gloss after washdown..
Been a few months now and to date after a decade of messing around the best yet.

End of the day, cant beat a boat cover or parked up nder a sail cloth.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 5:34pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You've answered your question.

That's the appropriate result.

Take note Steps,
Didn't need to write a book to pass on solid info.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 7:19pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There’s a few around, ceramic pro, sealx and other nano coatings. I would consider it for a new boat and can’t see why wouldn’t be good for an older boat. Just might have to reapply depending on how long you own the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 10:00am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take note Steps,
Didn't need to write a book to pass on solid info.

There are 4 or 5 'experiments ' I have played with up there.. all worked, some have down sides, others not so much.
 Understanding how done, pre prepped, is important to know. If dont then someone may try say the polymer, and because of a lack of understanding of the chemistry, and/or having the right gear not be able to remove the damn stuff.

Not understanding the background of how and why things are done is huge reason why things go wrong..

Its easy for those of us having been around a long time to take this background knowledge for granted.

Lots posts and messages thanking for the explanations..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:11am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

One of those rare instances where one of the cheapest ceramic coatings (turtle wax's hybrid solutions) tested out as the best (of those tested):
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 3:25pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From the youtube clips I have seen on ceramics refers to cars,a few marine  ones but mainly refers to new vessels.most say 12/18 months then a bitch to remove if and when you recoat.Think I will stick with what I used  on the yacht. Waterline stain remover or mix up oxalic acid from the garden centre and polish.Last 6 months no problem and inexpensive,the acid removes the chalking
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 4:16pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to know, that acid must be what 3M grunt has in it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 5:22pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are 2 types of ceramic...
 The full on ceramic where be it new or older surface (any surface) one does a full degrease, and clean, then apply, exactly as per instructions under the correct conditions...
And if dont, or think better , you will have a streaky stuff up that pretty much will require a full block, cut re buff and polish.

Expensive and best to leave to correctly trained professionals.
 I have played with a bit of this.. yep definitely got to know what you are doing and have experience..dont do it on your car without that.

Then there is the ceramic in a spray bottle..
 This doesnt last as long, 6 months or so , but as mentioned above very impressive
This you degrease back to the original surface.. all polish oils, films removed..
 Im most cases, leave off any polish for as long as possible..just wash.. then a real good wash with a quality dishwash detergent.. And dry with couple towels.
 In the shade and panels cool,  very light even spray 1 or 2 panels, wipe out even with soft cloth, leave 5 or 10 mins and a quick buff.
 Do Not do the windows..but work extremely well on glass shower doors and fiberglass walls Wink
I can do the SSangyoug ute with full canopy in around 25 mins
 Brake dust on rims is a bitch... A good even spray on clean mags.. then do the vehicle.. then go back give the wheels a light buff... next time you wash the car, the dust comes off real easy.
 Or Just never use the brakes Big smile

The spray bottle cermics are expensive, up in the $50 bracket now... Only need a light even  spray.. so goes a long way... Also once the 1st coat is on.. next time wash, I have found diluting down 1/3 polish rest water, shake well as use it, works really well.. Shower the same.. once a month.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 1:55pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm  I had the Fuga hybrid ceramic coated. Supposed to last 5 years. The initial ceramic was Sensha brand and coating can be topped up by applying Sensha fine crystal spray to a wet car when cleaning. This fine crystal spray can also be applied to cars which are not ceramic coated for brilliant shine. Uncertain how it would go on fibreglass. I think I remember that it was OK but will have to check.

Seems like it is OK. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd9aERaQTYI