Hydraulic steering

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydraulic steering
    Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 7:51pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does anyone have hydraulic steering on their boat? What do you think of it, and how much difference does it make to the ease of steering versus normal steering?

The 140hp engine on my 6.2m Commander is fairly heavy to turn, and since I'm thinking of replacing the engine I am also wondering if hydraulic steering would provide "power steering" to make it easier.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 8:00pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only way to go trouble free nice to drive I installed on my 6.0mtr tinny 5 years ago and wouldn’t go back to cable, cost around $2000.00 all up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 8:05pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hydraulic all the way Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 9:40pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dooooooo eeeeeeeet! I finally pulled the trigger on it after this year's game season, Doh! in the few trips I have done since installation, it's soooo much easier to steer, and the fact I can let go of helm, and move around the boat is sooo handy when trolling. 

I always had a constant pull to the left with the socalled non-feedback cable steer. I hadn't fitted the trim anode that goes above the prop, but even with that there would have been constant need for adjustment while steering a straight course, that I don't have anymore with the hydraulic steering. 

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 10:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My boat has hydraulic steering, I have had it let go but each time it was an easy fix. Very seldom gives trouble and it's unusual to have two issues like I have
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 10:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a commander.. and V^ 150 on the back.. cable steering.
 Not the original that bolts to the transom beside the engine well, inside the boat.
 And still with original helm

The original became stiff.. I went thru all the routes
Check out old threads a few yrs back the describes how to check helm, cable, measure for new cable, remove install etc.

Cleared build up inside cable at engine,  finally worked out the cable had a worn inner sheath.. which caused stiff and bit of excessive play..espec when the adjustable tag to counter the rotation of the prop effect on steering on the bottom of the cavitation plate was set correct at normal cruising rpms/speed.

Correct length cable that has only a nice wide elipical curves as bends ( the one going from helm,  down thru the bottom of the 'cupboard' floor, and curves around then up and down inside the gunnels.... And the other that starts up under the gunnels, about where the end of the trim, shelve hole ends, gently into the side of the engine well.

The new style cables do not get mounted like the orginal.
 They go thru the steering sleeve and the lever shaft, (will have to buy one or a 2nd hand one) get bolted to the closest bolt to the engine.

Also you will now find that you will not get full turn because of the narrow engine well on the opposite side.  By tilting the engine up and down you can mark out a hole that is oval in shape... Which if in the correct position, one of the std oval rubber blanked grommets fit  perfectly.

Have the cavitation plate compensation tag adjusted right and you have finger light steering...
Will see if have any pic already loaded to the site that shows this soon

Edit: Sry dont.. I want to delete a lot of rubbish non informational pics  but permissions dont allow, and a list of pic names to delete sent to admin doesnt work either..

Ask any questions and welcome to come have a look if local around here.
 P.S often been asked when others are on the helm , if hydrolic...as so easy to steer, no just a cable correct length , adjusted correct, correctly installed and regularly maintained/ lubed and the tag correct.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 10:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I measured the orginal cable, due to how itmounts on the inside of the transom and how connects to the engine was not an option.
 I used a length of heavy household 3 core electrical cable.. the stuff used for stoves/ hot water cyclinders.
 Laid it out, made the curves, measured the length added 2" think it was... and off to Smart Marine.. They had one slightly shorter just  within the extra 2"

Come to install, turned to a bit of a mission in length connecting to the engine.. After a bit of cussing got the extra 1/2" from the curve going from helm down a little and up around inside the gunnels....which as turned out pretty well made the perfect curves for install as per the manuals.

The awkward part was hanging the cable on 'sky hooks' up over the battery box and oil tank. involved bolting a hook could hang couple cable ties to to hold up... which also enabled a tidy up of the fuel, engine cables/ loom Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 12:47pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm in the hydraulic camp, neater and tidier, never seizes, finger light steering.
I've had the same helm for i4 years at least...upgraded the ram when I fitted a bigger motor a few years ago.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 1:23pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you have the opportunity to fit hydraulic steering, just do it.  When I bought my current boat a few years ago I specified hydraulic steering and didn't realise just how good it was going to be.  If you asked people with hydraulic steering if they would go back to something else I don't think you would find anyone who would swap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 1:50pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks very much everyone, and Steps for all the detail on the Commander. Ours is probably quite old and could be improved as-is, but when spending all that money for a new engine it sounds like a little extra for hydraulic steering might be worth it. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Going for new engine, within budget..totally agree DavidC

Commanders are old, even the 'new' 80s shape date back to mid /late 70s...

A lot has to do with engine size AND boat size/ weight as well.
 Get up into the larger boats 6m+/500kg+ like most (pretty sure all of them) of the above commenters have yes hydrolic certainly comes into its own.
Smaller.. heavy / stiff steering comes down to correct cable length choice installation and maintenance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 11:05pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Has any one had any problem with hydraulic steering making a bit of a crackling noise when you first launch boat.noticed mine doing it last few times out.seems to come right once every thing warms up.some one said it could be air in the system.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 10:37am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

White,
Sounds like air under pressure.
Bleed system, top up oil.

Check prior for any leaks.
Trace all lines and connections.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 1:05pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Matt.
Noticed last night when checking for rat damage the hose that goes onto hydraulic pump had a very small drip of fluid coming out around the stainless crimp fitting where hose attaches to pump.Boat needs a service after the game fishing season so will take it to tasman marine for a birthday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 12:59pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Question about the hydraulic steering on your boat: Does it use power from the engine or battery?

Is anyone using a hydraulic steering system that doesn't use electrical power? Does anyone know how a non-electrical system works?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 1:32pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My hydraulic steering is a small pump driven by turning the steering wheel, no electrickery required. This is a normal hydraulic steering but there may be electric systems used on bigger boats??
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 4:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As above the head unit creates the pressure to push the motor across when you turn the steering wheel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 11:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How many. cable or other wise adjust the fin undet the capitation plate to compensate for the prop twist in the steering at cruise speed...?
 Or even know about that?
Its best described as wheel alignment in a car, bit of combo of toe and caster..
 Caster is how light or heavy the steering is , toe is travel in straight line without pulling on the wheel.
 Get that right.. and it is very sensitive that little fin.. and even a old commander with 150 V6 on the back becomes finger light steering..

Side note: your ute. car  little light 'wandery ' on the road get them to take the caster out to max spec... or would like to make lighter, get them to bring caste back in a little. You will often find on road reports of a model, eg ssangyung utes (maybe cars as well) all mention wandery) set the caster out a bit.. fixed. Same with vintage/ classic cars designed for cross plys and run radials.. except these also mean camber changes .

Yep you can set the 'wheel alignment' in a boat to stop pulling one side and / or how heavy it is to steer.
 At cruise can you take your hand off the helm and still run a straight line?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 3:14pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by DIY DIY wrote:

My hydraulic steering is a small pump driven by turning the steering wheel, no electrickery required. This is a normal hydraulic steering but there may be electric systems used on bigger boats??

Thanks DIY and Kandrew. How does this pump result in more power to turn the engine than just turning the engine via cable without hydraulics? I haven't figured out where the magic extra power comes from :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 4:55pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by davidc davidc wrote:

Originally posted by DIY DIY wrote:

Thanks DIY and Kandrew. How does this pump result in more power to turn the engine than just turning the engine via cable without hydraulics? I haven't figured out where the magic extra power comes from :-)

Try reading this, I hope it makes sense.

https://seaknights.com/hydraulic-boat-steering-kits-work/
Page  12>