Toa Baby Orca

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toa Baby Orca
    Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 9:23am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just getting the feel of the fishos on here .
Taken it out of the Ocean and putting it in a holding pen , right or wrong .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 10:40am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nature needs to be and let it take its course
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 1:23pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best thing they could have done was release it straight away. It may have known where to go straight away who knows but nature would have decided it’s fate.

A kayaker did that a few years ago up Coromandel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 4:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think probably ok.

Wondering why it was left by pod in the first place though.
A little unusual.
They would normally stay within the vicinity.

If it has no underlying issues I believe they could be successful.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Thommonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:28pm
The Thommonator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I can't see it ending well.

Give's all the officious do-gooders something to get wound up about though :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:52pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I think probably ok.

Wondering why it was left by pod in the first place though.
A little unusual.
They would normally stay within the vicinity.

If it has no underlying issues I believe they could be successful.
Mat, the pod was in close hunting. A wave washed it up on to some rocks. It tried to free itself and the next wave washed it in to a rock pool. Trapped. The pod hung around for quite a while. But Visser thinks they could not hear it - mainly landlocked. Said they came back several times looking for it.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 6:07pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Al,
That info is very relevant..

I see know the pods need to move on.
Lack of identifiable communication and risk assessment.
And yes I give these mammals very high skills or .....lost the appropriate word, it's maybe salient.could be very wrong in that.

The will return not for the calf but as a routine hunting cycle.
So could be a full year cycle.

Possibilities are endless.
Still
Could be a win.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:56am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some interesting info came out. They don’t need to find the exact pod it came from and think they can leave him with any pod? Guessing any mother already lactating would feed? Or a mother will just start lactating? Interesting. Also they say a male Orca will never leave its mothers pod for its entire life? Also interesting. Not sure if just poor journalism or I just got schooled. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 11:33am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's one animal. I feel sorry for it, but let's keep it in perspective. How many marine mammals die in fishing nets every year?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 7:11pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hear ya but if we kept that theory we would only save the only rarest animal n nz. There is lots to learn about Orca social, biology, adaption etc in this unusual circumstance, it’s a rare chance but if too much stress etc a bullet will finish the saga till the bones/burial are fought over.

Millions like me are watching the elephants in China plough their way through China, they could just kill them too of course.

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 7:26am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ah well the inevitable has happened.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Thommonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 6:47pm
The Thommonator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

how much did that just cost the tax payer?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 7:02pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They said Yesterday that if they couldnt find the pod they would put the calf down.What a load of crap.I suspect that was the plan all along.Now buried at a marae and no doubt teeth etc removed for carving purposes.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 4:08pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

DOC = Department of Killers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 11:15am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In Asia they have rescue 'zoos' for orangutans , elephants bears, all or partly funded by tourists/ public visitors.
And where possible in the longer term they get released IF there is a save reserve to go to.

We do the same here with birds, reptiles and fish ( eg telly taltons/ Mt Bruce). that have been in accidents, partly disabled,and most tourist Bird parks all round the country, that have kaka, kea , the highest of intelligence levels in the bird kingdom, up there with 7 to 10 yr old + human children.

We used to have marine park(s) that had injured abandoned marine mammals.. and now we dont so we let injured sea mammals caught in nets.. dump back in the sea with nil concern what happens to them..
 And have abandoned young (as in this well published case) either let die and or dont shoot (whatever method) them.

But a shark or ray goes on display to help pay for cost of recovery..

Why ? because of SHORT SIGHTED placard wavers making a high profile feel good protest to close marine mammal parks that also supplied high end scientific research  at the cost of visitors.